pass through power

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by almightynut, Dec 7, 2014.

1. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys I have a question I'm shooting a 368g arrow with 62lbs. I know heaveither arrows are better with noise and penetration. But with my setup this year I should not have a problem with a pas through on a good shot now I know not everyone gets a pass through everytime. So what I'm asking is I should be OK with this setup for the rest of the season and I will be going to a heavier arrow setup.
    One other question is what grain arrow are you shooting and do you have more pass throughs then not and what weight are you shooting too. I know bones and other things come in to play with it but I'm just wondering what you guys think thanks for the help

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a few different arrow weights depending on my wants and needs for the set up.

Here is a dirty little secret. Regardless of arrow weight, a good cut on contact broadhead will account for more pass throughs then probably most other factors.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It will also depend on your broadhead. I big expandable wont be as likely to get a pass through. For what its worth last year I shot 60 pounds and a 380 gr arrow and with slick tricks and got 6 pass throughs and the same set up with killzones and got 2 pass throughs. No shots over 22 yards and everything was broadside or slightly quartering away and right in the ribs.
    If you shoot those grim reaper WS like you have in your sig, its very likely you wont get a pass through. That's a huge head and your don't have a lot of weight behind it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with other's posts... smaller cut on contact heads will penetrate better and ultimately give you a larger cut and more blood.

5. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    There are lots of folks that use your set up or a very similar set up. Shoot placement and broad head selection are the only variables. This could get in to a heated discussion very quick so here are my recommendations. Don't change your set up right now, if you do go to a fixed blade or a small cutting mechanical with the same grain head you are currently using. Once the season is over is the time to play with arrow set ups.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Beefie

6. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    What I was thinking with the grim reaper is that like rages 2in cut have good pass though power I guess and the reapers are the cut size of 2inchs that was my thinking. I do still use the good old spitfires too a little bit smaller cut size. But am I wrong thinking about the reapers and rage being the same size cut you know what I mean

7. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    That's is what I plan on doing when the season ends I really like the grim reapers and adding the numbers and everything I'm getting about 60ke

8. Beefie

Beefie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wisconsin, Just south of the Green Bay Packers.
    That is more than enough for a good broad side shot or slightly quartering. If you wanted to you could try Dirt Nap Gear broad heads. They offer a 100and 125 grain single bevel fixed blade broad head. Some time's just switching your broad head is all a guy needs.

Beefie

9. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with that beefie I like mechanical right now but when I learn more about arrow And fixed head alignment I w9uld most likely go to hellrazars or montac heads but I don't think I'm there yet on getting to fly right. I have muzzys too which a 20 yards shoot very good but out to 30 it was a little different. I know its a little harder with fixed heads right. And do like the Exodus heads and would like to try the. Out too;

10. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 45 lbs, and I have shot 2 arrows this year, and retrieved both deer. The first ran about 50 yds behind me with a little far back shot, but a pass through, the other was a double lung, and it fell 10 yards from where I shot him, and died on the spot. One the second one, I did not get a pass through, but my QAD exodus broadheads knocked him down. Good luck

11. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    How do the exodus shoot very good? Like a field points?:

12. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    How do the exodus shoot very good? Like a field points?:

13. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1) the rage is a big cut mechanical and is not known for stellar penetration
    2) the grim reapers are the same diameter but they have 3 blades instead of 2. And they are over the top mechanicals and not rear deploying.

What all this boils down to is that the freak reapers will require more force to open and more force to keep penetrating and get a passthrough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to shoot mechanicals and get pass thrus you have to have your bow turned up to 11 out of 10 and go with an arrow around 450 grains, this will push a wide mechanical thru with no problem. If you are shooting around 60 pounds with an arrow under 400 grains please out of respect for the deer go with a fixed blade.

15. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I'm asking buddy out of respect for the deer and I wanna make sure I do it right. I'm still kinda new at what works and how and I know sota you will tell it straght thats buddy

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot 2" Swhackers with a 405gr. arrow 65lb. out of my Faktor 30. Only killed 3 deer with it so far this year. All 3 pass throughs including one at 39 yards. With my PSE Revenge I shoot a 450gr. arrow, 65lb, with 2.25" cut 125gr Swhackers and get pass trhoughs all the time with it. A lot will depend on the Broadhead. Now I don't loose a ton of energy with the Swhackers on entry as I would with a over the top or open on contact head. I still get a 1" hole on entry at a perfect broadside shot.

17. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    So what's the best type of expendable head over the top rear deploying etc??q

18. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, I don't know...lol. I have used Swhackers for so long I haven't tried much else.

19. almightynut

Dislikes Received:
    And this is one of the biggest reason I like this site much because you guys give your honest opinion on this kind of stuff no BS thanks guys

20. f.c.geil

f.c.geil Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using RamCats and Rage 2.3 extremes (both 125 grain heads) for a TAW of 473.3 grains from a 66# Faktor 30. I have no doubt that I have enough momentum to allow the Rage to open correctly. My concern with them is that they open prematurely, which is why I've started experimenting with the RamCats. We'll see what happens.