When is it you and when is it the equipment?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justaround, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Justaround

Justaround Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to bowhunting. Bought a bowtech assassin 2 years ago and the local bow shop set me up with whatever gear I guess you're supposed to have. I'm comfortable with the draw length (~28.5") and draw weight (60lbs).

I have a peep site and kisser. A 4" Sims Limbsaver stabilizer. Apex gear 5 pin sight. I'm shooting Easton 400 7.7gpi arrow with NAP 100g spitfires

Obviously there are tons more gear options, so all that backstory to ask: how do you decide what new gear to try? I figure any bad shot is me, not the gear. I read a lot of hunters say "this shoots well for me" or "this setup feels right". What happens or makes you look for new gear?

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's always you. The bow doesn't change or get tired.

When you're hitting consistently in the same spot then you know it the bow and time to start tuning.

It helps to have it set up right in the first place though.

Kilboars Hunt Club

3. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's never me, how could it be?

4. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As you progress, you'll learn more about archery and bowhunting in general. You'll know when the time is right to change things up.

On the flip side, archery takes constant practice and diligence, when you shoot a bow, you're working on muscle memory. If you don't practice, you'll never be able to be consistently accurate. Really successful guys don't like to go even a day without running at least a few arrows through their bow, just to keep the muscle memory in line.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is join an archery club and hang around some ol' timers who've been doing it forever. They'll have you shooting like a champ in no time.

You've got good quality gear, no need to change for the sake of changing.

5. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When good stuff happens it is all me. When bad stuff happens... it the bow's or gear's fault. I've been at this for over 30 years... I should know. :D

Seriously... if it works well... I stick with the same gear until it is getting wore out and needs to be replaced. Usually will replace it with the same.

Tim