killzone users

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MNpurple, Nov 24, 2014.

1. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the killzone (COC) heads over the last two years and have taken 5 deer with them. All shots were broadside or quartering away and the only bone encountered on any of these shots was ribs both on entrance and exit. Three out of the five times at least one of the blades broke in half. The kills were quick, good penetration and blood trails were great but I'm concerned how these will hold up when I eventually hit a bigger bones like the shoulder blade.

How have they worked for the rest of you, held up well, broken blades, etc?

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Used them to shoot two deer. It was fine on the doe I shot, but not on the buck. I got minimal penetration hitting the deer in the shoulder. I won't blame everything on the broadhead though, because I later found out my drop away rest didn't drop quick enough and was hitting my arrow on the way out and kicking my arrow to the side. I won't be using them again though, as I've opted to use a small diameter fixed blade and a new rest.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To expect a blade of that design to not have issues when contacting bone is just not thinking through. They are great heads, and if put where desired will easily and cleanly kill...however no blade of that thickness (thin) and length stand up to bone impact very well, sometimes sure but more times than not if an open thin long blade makes contact with bone damage is gonna occur.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This was my first year using them after abandoning mechanicals for several years. Bottom line......They are the best heads, mechanicals or fixed, I have ever shot in over 30yrs of bowhunting. Two deer shot and neither traveled more than 40yds. And they left more blood than I have ever seen from a bow-shot deer.

Blessings........Pastorjim

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could be wrong, but are these the same broadheads being used on the web show? After watching I would guess less than 10% of the deer shot this year have been pass thrus. By all means shoot me down.

6. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot turkey and deer with the killones. I shot a turkey with the killzone COC and a couple deer with the killzone maxx, all pass throughs and very accurate. The only problem with the blades for me was the sharpness. After I shot the deer and turkey the blades had chips in them and they were pretty dull. I bought the replacement blade kit and replaced the blades. The feral was not damaged at all, so I was able to reuse it. Other than that, I think its the best broadhead on the market. :bow::deer: IMG_0102.jpg Ben Doe 003.jpg

7. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure about that but the two deer I shot this year were both pass-thrus and the buck I hit in the shoulder. It broke the arrow off but the broadhead portion passed through.

Blessings........Pastorjim

8. MNpurple

Dislikes Received:
    Four of the five deer I shot were pass throughs, so no problems there, it just surprised me that ribs did such a number on the blades. If one was to hit a shoulder blade, would the blades break off before even hitting the vitals?

9. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    The deer I hit in the shoulder had one of the blades bend very slightly but it did not break. And like I said, it broke the arrow but the front 2/3 of the arrow still passed through.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, and I've noticed this as well. Be careful stating such things here though :evilgrin: *probably more to do with arrow set up than head though as like pastorjim says he got pass throughs.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Most likely would do more to it, but it is more about arrow selection and FOC and arrow set up weight.....all those things could impact how well it does with bone to an extent...but you're still talking basically a razor blade going through bone.

12. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't implying it was the broadhead I was guessing it was the bows they shoot. :tu:

But in all seriousness, if these are what they are shooting then why are they not getting pass thrus on the shows?

I think I would be at the very least a little nervous after watching the shows? Maybe I am wrong and have missed some of the shows?

13. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I am most definitely staying out of this conversation. :lol:

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be honest I've not watched the last two episodes but since the Killzones have come out and I've seen them used on the show I can safely state I've seen less pass throughs than not. Perhaps consistently hitting of opposite shoulder? Not sure....maybe it is the bow like you stated bahahaha!

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I probably should of done the same...... :busted:

16. MNpurple

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually wondering if others were seeing a lot of blade breakage....I wasn't looking for a penetration debate.

17. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've harvested 5 deer with the killzones from all different angles & haven't had any complaints. I also have yet to have any broken blades. Once a broad head has seen dirt/deer I retire it regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My buck was a pass through, cutting 2 1/2 ribs on one side and 1 3/4 ribs on the other ...blades still feel sharp with no damage. Massive blood trail.

Nephew killed a big old doe that didn't hit any ribs...off course that was a pass thru with no damage...no blood trail ...weird

Nephew killed a buck cutting ribs on the way in and out...no complete pass thru...arrow broke off...could not find the business end to evaluate broadhead...massive bloodtrail

Take that fir what it's worth...I personally love the broadband as does my nephew....if any of you have not shot them, then you should shuddap ;)

19. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot them on one hunting trip when they first came out and I will never shoot them again.

20. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot 6 deer with killzone heads. 4 of them were with the same head I just resharpen the blades. No problems for me. One of the shots hit the back edge of the shoulder blade. That was the only shot that didn't get a pass through, it hung in the hide on the off side. Didn't hurt the blade or head though. See if you can see the hole it made when it went in....
    [​IMG]