Worst feeling ever....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tree Stand Whacker, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Tree Stand Whacker

Tree Stand Whacker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys...well I have been hunting really, really hard this year. Ive put more hours in the stand this year than I ever have before. Ive been hunting especially hard the last few weeks and I have been seeing tons of bucks. Last weekend on Sunday night it finally came together. A very nice buck came in to about 25-30 yards...and I muffed the shot. I hit the deer but I hit him very high. I don't really know how it happened. The deer did duck but I do think my shot placement wasn't the greatest. This is the worst feeling I have ever felt. I cant believe after all the hours I put in the stand I messed up such an easy shot. Unbelievable....I was very discouraged and almost considered giving it up for the year. Fortunately I had lots of family and friends support me so I did end up going back out for gun season and I shot a very nice doe. I will be back out for second week and I will be putting late season hours. Anyone who is interested in watching the video of the buck I hit high I will attach the link below. Hopefully I get another shot at him.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. I had a shot at a nice 8 pt this year. I hit him but too far forward. Tracked him for awhile but lost the blood trail. I'm not sure what happened either. 25 yd shot. I guess it happens. I felt like giving it up also. Hope you have better luck.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing the video. Yeah that is tough. It happens bro. It happened to me 2 years ago. I had him at 8 yards one night. He snook in on me. I didn't limb the tree well and didn't have a shot. Then, that December, he came in with 3 other bucks and after 10 mins or so gave me a shot at 35 yards and I blew it. I still watch that video to this day. Painful, but I do. I went years without seeing a buck and then blow the shot once he finally shows. Yeah it haunts me and it was tough to take. I have practiced that shot a 100 times since then. I promise you this, you will learn a great deal from it and it will make you a better hunter. Keep Your Head Up and Keep At It! Good Hunting and Have a Great Thanksgiving!

This is the buck I am speaking of. He made it to the next year (2013) but I haven't seen him since last year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  4. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain bro... I shot this deer in the shoulder this year. I hunted him for over a month and flubbed it! unnamed (12).jpg

I know I have whined and whined about this deer on here LOL

5. Tree Stand Whacker

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah its all really tough. I know it happens and its just a part of bow hunting, but it is literally the most depressing feeling ive felt in a long, long time. heres another picture of the buck. missed buck.jpg

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    sucks... but it happens to all of us bro...
    stay with it.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sucks for sure. Been there, done that. If you hunt long enough, something like this will eventually happen. Keep your chin up, learn from it and move on to bigger and better things. Congrats on the doe!

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a trail cam pic of a 9 point standing in the same position he was when I shot him high, I have that pic, my unused tag, and the broken arrow on a book shelf by my desk at work. I see it every time I sit down as my desk. The dreams stop after 3 years and 5 years later I no longer have that involuntary twitch when I look at the picture of the buck.

9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sure looks like alot of limbs in the way of that shot??

10. Tree Stand Whacker

Dislikes Received:
    I had a hole that was very small to shoot through. it was probably a foot wide and a foot tall.