Mathews No CAM or NOT - Christmas wish

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by deedee, Nov 23, 2014.

1. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews NO CAM?

Need some advice here, please. I've watched the above video a few times and been reading some about the new Mathews No CAM, and leaning on getting one for Christmas. Would like some honest feedback from anyone who has shot this new bow though - is this new technology as good as they claim? Is this bow too much for a 5'1" gal? What would be a good alternative? Because I don't know much about bows, I trust retailers as much as I trust used car salesmen. :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go shoot one. Then you will know. No one can answer your question but you.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've not shot one so can't help there. There are some threads around on the forum with first hand experiences shooting them though if you run a search you should be able to find them easily enough as they aren't very old.

I agree with Jacob, best way to answer your questions is to just go shoot them, doesn't matter how high tech, new or whatever else a bow is...if it doesn't feel good to you shooting it look elsewhere.

Many bow techies are very good and helpful but most are very brand loyal and biased so taking what they "say" with a proverbial grain of salt is a very good thing to keep in mind. Always refer back to the first rule, shoot it and use what feels good to your personal tastes.

4. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, guys! I will go try one out eventually, but just want to be prepared with some more knowledge about the bow before going in 'blind' .......... like trying out a sports car and not knowing its full capacity. :)

5. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am very intrigued by this bow. I may try it and if I like it do a layaway plan so my wife won't notice the new purchase. I have had my Hoyt for 6 years, might be time to upgrade.

6. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would take a long look at the Chill SDX. This bow is designed for a short draw. IMO, it would be a better fit than the HTR.

SCFox

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I finally had an opportunity to shoot this bow a few days ago. It is REALLY NICE! When it was first introduced, I was skeptical and didn't like the looks of it. However, I wanted to see it for myself and shoot it. It blew me away! It really is very nice looking bow once you see it in person. I thought it would be heavier than what it is, but it wasn't. The draw on it is amazing and it really quiet when you shoot it. It has a solid back wall and is easy to hold on target. The Focus grip is nice. I have 2 Mathews bows and both have the original wooden grips. I will be changing them both this week. As far as you being able to handle this bow, I think you can. If you don't mind a longer Axle-To-Axle bow being on 5'1. I have a Z7 Magnum and it is 32 inches ATA and it weighs a little more than this bow. The weight of this bow will increase as you add accessories to it so keep that in mind. So when you go and shoot one, ask if you can shoot it with the Quiver and arrows, a rest and stabilizer. I hope this helps. Looks like I am adding a 3rd bow to my arsenal! I ordered an All Black One! :tu:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  8. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot it at the local shop along with a Chill R. The no cam, I thought, was very smooth on the draw, had a very solid back wall and overall was a nice bow. I currently shoot a Z7 extreme and although it would be nice to have a new bow I think I will keep my Z7x. Shoot 'em and then you will know.

9. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet, but I plan to, whenever I can find some time. I agree with the guys when they say shoot it. It doesn't mean you have to make a decision right away, but I think you'll end up answering some of your own questions, when you get one in your hands at a local shop. Good luck in making your decision, and feel free to let us know what you think.

10. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What is it that is making you consider the change? The new technology? I read that the No CAM sacrifices speed, but it is more stable and quiet. I guess all these is a personal preference? I am still a newbie and haven't shot enough bows to get a 'right' feel, but in the market for a good one.

11. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, sounds like I will have to go give it a try and get a feel of this new bow :)

12. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's kinda what I've been reading, that it is smooth on the draw, stable and quiet but it sacrifices speed ?? So, I guess, in the end it all depends on personal preference.

13. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:

Love this!! Thank you for the feedback on your experience with the bow, and the advice on what to look/ask for. I will definitely go check it out sometime after Thanksgiving! :)

14. deedee

deedee Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Think I will try out both and get a feel. Thanks for suggesting an alternative to try out.

15. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On a side note, I don't know what your draw length is, but at 5"1', I'm guessing somewhere between 23.5-24.5". The SDX goes down to a 22" DL, while the HTR goes down to a 24".

SCFox