What are some faster bows for a 28" draw length?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by r0scoe, Nov 20, 2014.

1. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm reading and reading and reading and trying to learn as much as I can before making a purchase this spring.

I know I'm going to lose around 20 FPS off of the IBO just because of my 28" draw length.

Do some bows lose more speed with shorter lengths than others?

Because of this fact, I'm looking at higher FPS bows (in the 336-340 area) to try and compensate

Any suggestions on a good mid price bow that doesn't lose as much FPS with the shorter draw length?

2. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some bows will lose a little less than others but the 10fps rule of thumb I believe to be very accurate. As a curiosity what are you going to be doing? You will never know the difference between a bow that shoots 330 and 340 unless you shoot A LOT, especially by the time you set it up for hunting if that's what your doing with it. If you are hunting don't even look at speed. Most of us probably hit somewhere between 260 and 280 by the time we throw a hunting arrow on there anyway. And the vast majority of people don't shoot 30" DL.

3. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another thing to consider is that speed bows tend to have a more agressive draw cycle, and lower brace heights which means it is less forgiving to form errors. You will want a bow that you enjoy shooting.

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Speed is the most over rated and misunderstood thing in ARCHery.

Yes, there are bows that are more efficient at shorter draw lengths than others. Typically, bows with modules for draw length adjustment or specific draw length cams will be more efficient than a rotating module.

But the difference is not a huge deal. Choose a bow that works for you and forget about the few fps difference you may or may not see.

5. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PSE has the Full Throttle and Dream Season. These bows also have shorter brace heights, that help you gain more speed. For example with my Bow Madness, has a 7 inch Brace Height, so the cam modules are set to 27 inch DL, My Dream Season has a 6 inch brace height, so my draw is set for 28 inches. My Dream Season at 60 lbs is a joy to shoot. I also shoot a lighter arrow, at 376 grains, and that gives me about 300 fps. I shoot 3D and hunt with my set up, and have had pass-throughs on everything I've shot. Black Tail deer, large mule deer, and huge black bear. I like the faster speed for spot and stalk mule deer on the open prairie of Alberta...but that's just me.

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Solid speed out of a bow certainly can't hurt, but don't obsess over it. I personally think any modern compound shooting over 270fps is more than enough; and that number is obtainable even at shorter draw lengths.

I'm about as pure of a 29" draw length shooter (without a loop) that you'll find. However, I shot my bows for years with a string loop at 28". My last few bows shot in the 330-340 range and I had plenty of speed out of a 400gr arrow.

I did a lot of experimenting this summer and my new bow is set at 28.5 DL and I'm not shooting a 450gr arrow. I can't tell a difference in speed. I can however tell a difference in KE however.

7. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since when does brace height change draw length?
    Or did I read that wrong?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't:eek:

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I need to discard my bow shooting arrows at 230 fps.
    :cool:

10. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    eek is right...

11. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's not correct. Brace height changes power stroke not draw length. No matter what brace height you have your DL will be the same. Tfox correct me if I explained that wrong.

12. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
    Brace height has to do with how long your string stays in contact with your arrow.

13. Jacob1

Dislikes Received:
  14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Correct

15. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Correct

16. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm confused then. My PSE Factory Dealer set up my Bow Madness for 27 inch draw. The same dealer set up my Dream Season at 28 inches, and I have same anchor point. Is the string on 6 inch brace height not 1 inch further away from the shooter than the string on a 7 inch brace height, because it's definitely one inch closer to the riser? Not being argumentative, just like to learn.

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The short brace bow just has to be drawn further but it will end at at the same point from the grip.(string starts closer to the grip)

It is possible that the bows don't match amo standards for draw length and one needs to be set up in a different slot to reach the same draw length but that has nothing to do with the brace.

18. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Listen to tfox... the guys a genius.

I'll add that depending on the bows axle to axle length it can make a difference in feel. The draw lengths may be set exactly the same on both, but the shorter bow may feel longer. This has to do with string angle at full draw. For example. Set a 32" ATA and a 34" ATA bow at 29" draw length. Draw the 34" ATA bow and hit your anchor point. You may notice the string touching your nose perfectly and your big knuckle of your release hand settled into your jaw bow perfectly for example. Now do the same with the shorter bow. Chances are, the string will be just off your nose and you'll feel as though its a touch long on draw length.

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Genius, no, just educated somewhat in this area.:cool:

20. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Instead of trying to get the fastest, try to get the most efficient.

For instance, the Z5 cam comes in 3 sizes and each one does a certain range of draw lengths with some over lap, pick the one that has your draw length at the top of that cams range. I'm sure there are other brands that use a system like this.

But at the end of the day they all fling arrows and slay deer.
    Chase speed too much and you can end up with a bow with lots of vibration, noise and difficult to shoot in hunting conditions.