What are you wearing?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WesternMdHardwoods, Nov 18, 2014.

1. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I realize in one form or another this has been beat to death here but want to hear every ones tricks to layering up without the bulk on these frigid days?

I am not sure if I am just getting soft as I get older or just have lost my tolerance for the cold since I no longer have a job that allows me to work in it all day long(thank goodness)! I am finding it hard to stay warm this year? I will say this though it seems every sit this year has been in the wind....damn wind, I hate the wind!!

Anyhow if it stays above 30-40 degrees I am fine with:

Top: Under Armour 4.0
    Long Sleeve Tee
    Cabelas Windshear Vest
    **If it is colder I will also wear a Under Armour Cold Gear Mock Tee Compression Shirt and or wear an Under Armour Ridge Reaper Jacket. This is where I start feeling too bulky.

Bottoms: Under Armour Compression Cold Gear Pants
    Under Armour Ridge Reaper Pants
    ** If it is colder I will wear the 4.0 Leggings instead of the Compression Cold Gear

I am one of those blessed individuals that dont really have an issue with my feet getting cold, so I am able to get away with a 400-600grm thinsulate boot with a good wool sock for the most part of the year.

NOW some are probably thinking thats not too many clothes, but here is the dilemma once it drops below 30degrees I am freezing. Thats when I break out the Ultimate Camo Fleece Jacket and Pants. This alone with hardly any layering underneath is VERY warm but it also very thick and bulky.

So I am thinking I need to find a thinner/warmer LATE Season alternative.

SO if the forecast is 20degrees with a 10+mph wind what will you be wearing and the big question is do you feel like a blob after you are bundled up? Thats my main concern warmth without the bulk.

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just thought of this when I read the title.

[video=youtube_share;47cAxRX3aDg]http://youtu.be/47cAxRX3aDg[/video]

oh and I wear smart wool base layers, wool garments and a heater body suit.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted every day, all day, for 2 weeks (except Sundays) straight during the rut and I was telling myself exactly this, EVERY DAY!! I can't stand the wind when I'm hunting! I hunt real thick stuff and I rely on hearing them first, before they're on top of me.

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kuiu 145 base layer - Top and bottom
    Kuiu 210 layer - Top and bottom
    UA 2.0 - Top and Bottom
    Sitka Traverse Zip T
    Sitka Fanatic Series - Jacket and Bib
    Kuiu 145 gloves - Hot hands and kangaroo pouch on the Fanatic Jacket will keep hands warm.
    Darn Tough Wool socks/ Hot Toes/ 600g boots
    Sitka Stratus Beanie
    Sitka Neck Gaiter (Which is amazing)

With the addition of well placed heat pads on the outside of my base layer.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    wind is the biggest enemy.
    i wear underarmour base laayer, i thick pair of fleece type sweat pants and the last thing i do before putting on the camo is......
    i pull a pair of those athletic nylon pants over the base layers. really help cut the wind.

6. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best money I have spent in a long time was this year. I bought both top & bottom UA 5.0 Treestand baselayers. Worth every penny!!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have spent considerable time over the years perfecting my layering and cold weather system. Now, I want to preface this by saying everyone is different and what is warm for one person, might not be as warm for another. That being said, I wore this system last year and made an adjustment this year. Here is what I've found over the course of 5 years of experimenting.

Base Layers

Merino wool silk weight next to skin. Get any moisture possible off your skin as soon as possible. It has to be thin. I used to wear Under Armour as my base, but in my honest opinion, merino wool is superior. For one, it wicks as well if not better. Secondly, it actually adds an element of warmth that Under Armour did not. Lastly, it does not stink like synthetics do.

Over this layer I wear a set of Minus 33 expedition weight top and bottoms. EXTREMELY WARM and COMFORTABLE. I absolutely can not say enough good things about the Minus 33 stuff. Awesome.

Insulation layers

Cabelas wool fatigue sweater. This is probably the warmest piece of clothing by itself that I've ever owned. I think use a fleece vest over this. Keeps my arms less bulky, but adds core warmth.

Outer layer

Sitka Fanatic Jacket and Sitka Stratus Pants. The jacket is zone insulated with most of it in the core. Both pieces here are windproof.

Boots

Lacrosse Alpha Burly 800's or Irish Setter 800's. Either is warm but the leather Irish Setters are definitely warmer here.

Hat

I can't stress enough the value of a very warm hat. I personally have a Sitka Incinerator hat that is toasty warm. You lose a ton of heat out of your noggin. Keep it warm. No, not a cheap beanie either. You need something with a high insulating value and wind proof. Don't skimp here.

Tricks I use to get me through the day

Use hunting antiperspirant deodorant on your feet. It prevents them from sweating, thus keeping your feet dry and more comfortable.

Go to your local Wal Mart pharmacy and pick yourself up a heat wrap, the kind you use for a sore back. It usually is a basic cloth type wrap with velcro on the ends. It has a couple of pockets to slide a couple of chemical hand warmers into. Wrap this thing around your mid section, with the hand warmers over your kidneys and I promise it will make an enormous difference.

I use 4 of the large hand warmers for an all day sit. Two over my kidneys and two in my hand warmer pocket of my jacket.

This combo has gotten me through days with lows in the single digits and highs in the teens. Sure, its still cold, but it works great for me.

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife uses UA 3.0 top bottom, light camp shirt and pants, a fleece pullover if its real cold and tops it all with natural gear windshear top and bottom.

I have not found any thing to work for me.
    I'm currently using UA 3.0 , rocky fleece, camo pants , polartec fleece and bass pro soft shell top and bottom.

Next year I'm getting rid of everything but the polartec and I'll be using smart wool and natural gear.
    If found the bass pro softshell and UA to be completly useless for me.
    YMMV

9. Mnrecurve

Mnrecurve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cabelas ECWS underwear.
    Fleece pullover.
    Gamehide EVO camo
    Marino wool socks.
    Late season in Minnesota is tough. I need a Heater Body Suit.

10. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heater Body Suit and do away with all those layers. 20 degrees, I wear base layer and a pant/bib of any kind, whatever Jacket is handy and HBS. Best investment I'm made.