Try and sell me

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WiscoBowHunter, Nov 17, 2014.

1. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking into getting a new hunting sit and am thinking about a Sitka suit. So what's the pros and cons. Also like to know if any of you use it and what's the bet suit combination.

Sent from a note in a bottle.

2. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While I don't have Sitka gear, I do have some Kuiu stuff which is somewhat comparable.

Aside from the Merino base layers, I'm not much on it for stand hunting once the temps start dropping. I did use it in the early season, and it was very comfortable.

In my personal opinion, it is hard to beat Predator Camo for stand hunting. I have their fleece suit, as well as a few other cheaper items, and love them! Actually wanted to order their bibs last week, but they discontinued them for some reason????

If I were getting some higher line stand hunting clothes, I would probably look to Gray Wolf Woolens and order a Predator Fall Gray suit from them.

Again, no knock on Sitka as I have never field tested, just looked at it in stores.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The camo is an excellent camo. I sat on a field edge this past week in a rifle buddy stand stand (14 feet or so) I had several doe out in front of me at less than 50 yards with little to no cover and the sun was beating down on me at the deer's back so they should have been able to pick me out. They did look my direction but never busted me. They remained in the field for quite some time.

I've had them as close as 5 yards for several minutes in the same kind of short stand before finally realizing something wasn't right.

I will say the real advantages of the sitka gear is comfort. Even when you layer up for the cold, the gear never gets bulky and you can move as if you are dressed for much warmer weather.

With sitka it is purely a matter of cost and is it worth it to you. I love the gear and it keeps me in the stand.

Had my son snap this pic while turkey hunting.

[​IMG]

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the fanatic bibs and jacket for stand hunting. I layer with the merino and traverse for insulation down into the 20's. If it's windy and 20's or colder I'll add the Kelvin vest and pants underneath for extreme warmth.

I wish I had the stratus pants and jacket with the fanatic vest for the transition from warm to cold weather.

I also have the ESW pants and ascent jacket for warm weather. As well as the core base layer.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been wearing the Fanatic Jacket and Stratus pants for two seasons now and love the stuff. The jacket design is absolutely perfect for stand hunting whitetails and it's as warm as anything I've ever owned. I can't wear this jacket over about 55 degrees even itself.

I didn't buy it for the camo but because of its design. However I've never had issues being busted in it and it actually helped me beat a doe at 10 yards to kill my biggest buck to date this year.

Awesome stuff. Pricey. But how much is warmth, awesome design and concealment worth to you?

6. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree about the fanatic jacket design. I love having the front hand pouch and rangefinder pocket. The upper center pocket is also perfect for a cell phone.

7. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking for almost the whole season or winter sitka gear? I have the incinerator jacket and bibs for cold hunts. Like today the temp was 10 out and the wind chill was -3f. I was very warm and happy. Well worth the money. If you have a goverment job, leoadventures will take off 40%.

8. L.I. BOW

L.I. BOW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I struggled for years trying to get my layering system down. I'm hunting whitetails from a tree stand and I hunt from October through December. I have to keep from sweating walking in and keep warm sitting from sunrise to sunset. Sitka gear has allowed me to do that. As far as a bow hunting jacket goes you will not find a better jacket than the Fanatic. Quality, fit, function its just a sick jacket. Over the years I've acquired the traverse layers, merino layers, ascent, 90%, fanatic, and the incinerator bibs. Incinerator hat, core gloves, merino hat, etc. Honestly since I've been wearing opti fade I haven't been busted. Seriously. I've had deer wind me and look in my direction. They have looked up a few times but they just cant figure me out. Wearing real tree or mossy oak they look up pick you out and bolt. I was just discussing this with a buddy and he has experienced the same thing. It works. period. ok so pros.... Ultimate concealment for tree stand hunting, perfect for layering to hunt a wide range of temperatures, Quality, fit and function are top notch, materials are quiet, etc. Cons.....expensive. Took me a few years to acquire all my garments and most would think I'm crazy to spend what I spent. But I live to hunt and my time in the woods is priceless. I want to make that experience as good as I can. You asked what system you should buy. That depends on what temperatures you will hunt and for how long you sit. Another words what type of hunting do you do. Merino base layer, Traverse mid layer, 90% pants incinerator bibs. Top, merino, traverse, , fanatic. When it gets really cold I use a packable down jacket under my fanatic. I substitute that for the kelvin. Get the core gloves the merino hat and the incinerator hat. Get that and your covered. This will not work if you just buy one or two layers they all work together. Obviously you'll need merino socks and boots that will keep your feet warm. You'll wear the merino and traverse in and then put the other layers on once your up in the tree. You can not wear all the layers on your way in or on your walk out. I promise you once to get the system down you will love it. Yea it hurts when you pay but when your up in a tree and your comfortable as hell you'll be happy your wearing Sitka.

9. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on where you are and how cold it is....

The key to warmth is buffering layers of fluffy material which trap differing temperatures of air thus insulating. Down, leads the pack at doing this and as far as I know, Sitka is the only company producing a down hunting suit. I have the incinerator suit and it is the only thing that keeps me warm (muff is a critical part). Including comments posted about fit, camp etc., make this the best option available IMO. I KNOW I have sat longer and later in the season as a result of this suit and got more shots at deer as a result.

On top of all of this... warranty! I had a two year old suit, in great shape but the crotch seam split. Feathers were going everywhere so i sent them back for repair... no questions asked, they were replaced!

You get what you pay for one way or another!
    T

10. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm looking for a clothing system I can wear from opening day to closing day something that I can add when it gets cold and something to subtract when it gets warm out. Cause right now I have to take my jacket and sweat shirt of for the hike in then put all back on and I'm cold in 2 hours. I like the fit of Sitka the pattern is cool but I'm still skeptical on it. I see where it is made to "blur" you out.

Sent from a note in a bottle.

11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best camo is a can of sit still.

Sitka Gear takes the cake on quality of the gear, not the pattern. This is the first year that I have been comfortable in 20-30 degree weather. This has also been a year with a lot more wind than usual, and that's when the Sitka gear shined for me. While my friends are heading home to thaw out, I am sticking it out in the stand. The pattern is okay but it seems a bit dark for open hardwoods.

I follow some Sitka gear testers on social media sites and here is just a few of the future products we will be seeing. I'm loving the new pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, do not base your clothing selection on pattern alone. I'm in the camp of any decent camo pattern will work perfectly fine. Like Jake/PA said, the best camo is sitting still. Generations before us hunted in red and black checked wool clothing and killed plenty of deer. However, I will say that the Sitka patterns work very well from my personal experience. For example, I just killed my biggest buck to date this season. This after a big doe he was following looked right at me in the tree from 15 yards away for a few minutes. Sat still, didn't do anything stupid and she walked away.

As for getting cold. As I mentioned, the fanatic stuff is VERY warm. I too pack my outer layers into the woods in the morning and put them on after I settle into the tree. Sweat is your enemy. Stay as dry as possible when walking in by slowing down and taking your time. Give yourself extra time to sneak in. You'll make less noise and keep yourself from sweating. You should actually feel a touch chilly when you're headed in.

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree sweat is the enemy. But a good base should be able to wick moisture away and dry you out and the merino base does this very well. Actually all the base layers from sitka dry very quickly. Traverse, merino and core. Core is probably the slowest but is more geared toward warm weather sits.

14. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    tfox, You're right, I went to all merino for my base layers this year after using UA for years. UA is junk compared to good merino. I was going to go with the Sitka stuff, but opted for Minus 33 instead. Sitka didn't offer an expedition weight so I shopped around. From what I found, the Minus 33 expedition is the heaviest weight out there (think it was 400). I coupled that with a silk later of merino next to the skin and stayed plenty dry. Also compared to the UA coldgear I used, the Merino gives you quite a bit of warmth value as well.

15. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use the UA 3.0 series base layers, then sweat pants and hoody, paired with the Sitka fanatic series... Soooooooo worth every penny. I sat comfortably all day Saturday.

16. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Since your not opposed to throwing down some $ on quality gear, I would recommend that you atleast look into Grey Wolf Woolens. In terms of quality, it is second to none.

17. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had 18 deer walk/come by this weeked and they ranged from 30 yards to 2 feet from my stand. (half were 10 yards or less)None of them picked me out in the tree and several were mature doe. The one at the base looked through me twice. First she smelled a liking branch over a scrape below me and second she smelled where I walked and went into 100% alert mode and was throwing her back trying to smell me. Milled around for what seemed like 10 minutes. I am in a hollow and I'm pretty close to ground level on either side of this stand, even at that level they didn't see me.

Here is the stand I was in. It does have a little cover.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014