Missing out

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by selfbros, Nov 17, 2014.

1. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you feel like you're missing out with hunting. Personally, my job requires me to be "On-Call" every once and awhile; unfortunately, I've been on call a lot more since the beginning of October. We had a couple guys leave the company and left the rest of us with their on calls. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but I have limited cell phone service. With scouting sources available like social media, we are now able to observe hunting conditions from our couch via, Facebook, twitter, exc... this past weekend would prove to be such favorable conditions, as I review pic after pic, of friends or friends of friends success, it leave me with a sense of void in my life. You know this "Missing out" of perhaps the greatest weekend. I understand I'm lucky to have a job and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, but I'm just curious, how many of you feel like you missing out? Life is full of responsibilities, and priorities, so lets hear yours.

and this past weekend appears to be the weekend to be in the woods, but not for me.

2. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your not the only one ,I havent been able to go in the last 9 days and prbly wont go for another 5 days.it sucks as this my favorite time of the whole season.

3. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know where you are coming from. Anytime im not in a tree I feel like im missing out on what could be the day to harvest the buck of a lifetime. You just never know. It kills me sitting in class checking the forums and social media seeing everybody out there whacking em. I traveled home every weekend from college to hunt and It was worth it even though both my tags are still unfilled

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it makes you feel any better, I hunted 3 times this weekend. Saturday morning I froze my butt off in the stand and got skunked. Saturday evening, busted 2 does coming in at 2pm and didn't see anything the rest of the night. Skipped Sunday morning and got skunked on Sunday evening. Sounded like World War III with the orange army out in force. I'm just going to say, if it takes you 8 shots, your doing it wrong!!!!!!!!!!

I hate rifle season!

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely.

I work in the ag industry as well as farm and have cattle. I'm lucky to live and work within 5 miles so it makes it a little easier. This weekend for example, Saturday, I watched 1000+ geese pile into the field across the road from our farm while I was doing cattle chores. Had to do chores again Sunday when they piled back in and now today I have to be at work. I guess it sucks but wouldn't trade it for anything.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wrong....how else are you supposed to hit a deer in a group of 4 running across a field........smh.....ugh the glorious "people" that come out of the wood work come gun season.

7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thankfully our slug season ended yesterday. Now a little break before muzzleloader starts.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love muzzleloader season...shouldn't hear consecutive booms....shouldn't being the key word.

To the OP I fully get ya, I've hunted more than most but not nearly as much as normal due to work....now I'm sick so doesn't matter no hunting here.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a nephew who is in that part of life where he has zero time and 5 kids under 7 with twins 6 months old. Needless to say he does not have time to sit in a tree much. He came out to my place Saturday afternoon, he sat from 3 to 4:30 and filled his tag gutted the deer and he was home by 6.

10. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In addition to work, I've been out due to reconstructive surgery on my ankle. I know how you feel.

Hoping to be back in action late December

11. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    life happens fast! I'm going out Thursday the day before our orange army hits the woods. Hopefully I don't have to break ice walking through the flooded timber

12. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely I feel like I miss out. I killed a nice one on 10/4 and have only hunted a handful of times after that. I haven't hunted for a week, and prior to that sit it had been a week. Looks like I won't get out for another 10 days at least.

13. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I feel like I miss out, Wife is disabled, I care for her. Last deer I killed was in 2004. So there are years cant afford license to hunt or fish. In the last few years have only been deer hunting a few times, duck not much more, mostly hog went about 6 times last year. However that being said I wouldnt trade my life for anything. By the way last two years on opening day got hog both times.

14. selfbros

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow will be my 2nd hunt for the year. Unfortunately, It seems the rut has died down a lot. Or at least I'm not seeing the constant pictures on Facebook. I'm just hopeful to kill anything tomorrow, then I can wait for a big one Friday during firearm season.