My First Bow Kill

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jordan86, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Opening day of rifle a buddy and I set out in a bow only area. We had never been there before or scouted so it was a total crapshoot. We went in way before light, found some tracks on a decent trail and climbed a couple trees. Right at first light I heard a lot of movement out of sight but nothing came in. Then about 830 I saw what I think was doe about 70 yards through the trees down wind walking away towards where my buddy set up. I'm sitting there wondering if I should move now that it was light but thought I had a pretty decent trail right in front of me so I stayed put.

I kept hearing rustling in from of me about 20yds behind a thick cedar tree. I hear something, catch a little movement but that was it. I dismissed it as a squirrel and even texted my buddy that the biggest squirrel in the world was making a racket and getting me excited each time. I kept trying to glass for this giant squirrel through the branches of the tree but couldn't see anything.

At about 1pm I happened to be looking right at the tree and spotted moment to match the rustling. With the motion my eye was able to make out... a deer's hind leg!!! I started burning the area hard with my binos. After ten minutes of staring at nothing but what I thought was a leg, I started to doubt whether it was a deer and was just something that looked similar. Then I saw the tiniest movement, an eyeball, blinked, followed by an ear turning. It was definitely a deer. I stared for another ten minutes before the head moved and I saw antlers. Just little antlers, but big enough to satisfy the buck only requirement! Now I started getting excited. I watched and planned what to do if he got up. I was sure he would be getting up before dark, I would just have to wait. I got my bow down and in hand, but I was still sitting. It had become extremely still, the wind had died down, and it was deathly quiet. I didn't want to make any noise by getting up. So I watched, and waited. I lazed the two directions he could go and got the exact yardage to where I could take a shot. 22 yds if he went right, 30 if he went left. He started moving a bit more frequently, then after a bit he stood up. I don't know if it was instinct or just spur of the moment thinking but as he stood, I stood. I was leaning back against the tree while standing, and he was just standing there looking around. I couldn't see him well, but knew where he was. I was getting really excited now. My legs began to shake bad, I had to stand up and not lean. You know when you take just a little weight off your legs the shake worse? Well, standing helped a little but I was still shaking. I tried to calm down, to tell myself he was a teeny tiny little buck and to relax. It didn't work, I was jacked.

He started to move, directly away from me. If he went straight away into the brush I wouldn't get a shot! Then he turned and took a few steps to the left. I could see him clearly now but still no shot due to the brush. He had what looked like a spike on one side and a small fork on the other. Big enough for me, I just needed some meat at this point. And all my other friends had switched to rifle, but I wanted to get a bow kill. Rifle feels too much like work to me.

He took a few more steps and stopped. If he continued 3 more yards he would give me a 30 yard shot. He looked in my direction, I averted my eyes and used my peripheral vision, and held as still as possible. I swear he could hear my heart pounding and the stand shaking from my whole body now in convulsions. How was I going to take a shot when I couldn't stop shivering like a jack russell terrier? He looked away, and I attached my release. He started walking again. As he passed behind a thicker part of the bush I drew. He stepped out into the shooting lane and stopped, I think. I don't remember stopping him. I just remember thinking relax, 30yd pin, as I found him in my sites. Then thwack! I sent an arrow down range. I saw it hit a little high but in the kill zone. I don't even remember touching my release, it just happened.

He spun 180 degrees and ran back the way he he'd come. He ran a little circle and folded up 20 yards in front of my stand against a tree. I was about to shoot him again when he breathed a huge sigh and dropped his head down. I saw his breath escape through the hole in his side and knew I had hit at least one lung. I decided not to shoot again, he was dead.

I about fell out of my stand. My first bow kill was right in front of me. He would have had four points, but he had broken one off on each side. I know he's not a huge trophy, and some guys may even frown on shooting them this young, but he is a trophy to me. I will never forget my first bow kill. He's young but he'll eat! I missed a doe earlier this season and it felt great to finally get something on the ground and in the freezer. My shot was a little high and back (possibly because he may not have stopped, and I may have forgotten to bend at the waste, I don't even know) but I hit both lungs and he expired in less than 40 yards. The shot was a complete pass though, my arrow buried in the ground 10 feet behind him.

This is my first season bow hunting. I bought a bow in the spring, and practiced all summer to be able to go this fall. I am hooked, I love it. I learned a lot just reading on this forum and watching BHOD. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  2. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on your first! The first one is always the hardest to get, and it will always be the most memorable. You put a good shot on him, nerves and all. We have all been there.............and it's about the best feeling there is.

Nice job...............and great story of your hunt!

3. dhd

dhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere in the woods, though, that position may
    Congrats man!!!! Nothing like the first

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome. Congrats on your first bow kill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  5. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your first.

6. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent....congrats on your first and welcome to the addiction!

7. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go on your first!! Congrats!

8. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    awesome! Congrats! Very similar to my first! Nice work!

9. admoody

admoody Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great story and congrats on the buck!

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a day of deer hunting you won't soon forget! Congrats on your first buck, there will be others.

11. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not a lot of people get an archery deer first year out/ Congratulations!

12. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    congrats!

13. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    May all your hunts always fill you with as much passion. Congrats!

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer. Congrats on your first of many.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job on the first one bud! Priceless feeling no doubt!

16. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    congrats man! this reminds me of my first deer with a bow, about this size, he was a four point, anyways awesome job, glad u got him!

17. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your buck and welcome! Great feeling isnt it! Now you are hooked like the rest of us, thanks for sharing your story and pics!

18. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations. always a memorable time.

19. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well done

20. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your first !!

Tim