Rage with a properly weighted arrow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sota, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to post pics of arrow entry wound and then with the cape off to show what is possible with a 450+ grain arrow and a Rage titanium. I was fortunate enough to shoot a mature deer, I hit him forward and went thru the shoulder blade got front lungs and a heart nick he went 60 yards tops and only got 1 hole in him. The head expanded completely at impact I hope to recover the head when he gets skinned. My point is if you use a heavier arrow a mechanical is a great option if you want speed go fixed. Plenty of Rage haters will be impressed with the result. I will try to post the results Saturday Monday at the latest

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! Can't wait to see the pics!

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It sounded like a hammer hitting I was worried till I found the broken arrow, once found I knew he was dead it was pumped blood up on the shaft I knew I got part of the heart at that point, he went down at impact but didn't favor a leg. I just knew he didn't go far.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Rage and have had good success. So far every deer I have shot with one I have recovered. I would call this past Saturdays kill a marginal shot for me. I hit mine higher than I would have liked. He was farther out than any I have shot also at 27yd. Normally I get a pass through but, with the height of the shot I caught more bone on his rib cage than I have to date also. I shoot a lighter arrow at 375 grains. I believe the distance and arrow weight played a part in not getting pass through. It was the longest track I've had with a distance of around 200yd. I still had no issue with a blood trail. Followed it right to him. The wound was about 2" and you could see where it hit right between 2 ribs. I still haven't found my arrow and have no idea where it could have went. I went back and searched for it following his entire path 4 times. I wanted to find it so I would know what happened as far as the head goes. Bottom line is he died. I may go with a heavier arrow set up next year and see what happens.

I'm interested to see your pics. Congrats on the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting 60# an using an arrow almost 500 grains an man the Rage hypos are flat blowing thru stuff heavy arrow makes a big difference

6. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have always had good results with Rage. But I hear nothing but good about the NAP lineup as well.

7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you're completely ok with just having one hole all the time?

In 2009 I tried a bigger Snuffer. Snuffer is a 3 blade cut on contact broad head. Anyhow for years I shot a 125 grain 1 1/4 inch cutting diameter Snuffer out of my 62lb recurve. I got greedy and wanted to try a bigger Snuffer. Snuffer made a 1 1/2 inch 160 Grain snuffer. I put it on my 340 FMJ. Total arrow weight was 680 grains. I shot a mid 150's 4 year old buck at 12 yards. I shot too far forward and hit him in the blade. Not in the flimsy part of the blade but closer to the center of the shoulder where it gets thicker. I never got that Buck but the year after my neighbor did and I went to his place to see exactly where I hit. I cracked the shoulder blade big time. 3/4ths of his shoulder blade had a huge calcium build up where it was cracked. IF I would've kept using my original snuffer that buck would've been mine with the iffy shot I made. In the end i missed my spot but too big of a diameter broad head also costs me my biggest buck.

Lesson learned for me on big cutting diameter broad heads. Never again.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would always prefer 2 holes, my point is with a Rage it is possible to get penetration thru bone if there is weight. I shoot a 450 grain piledriver out of a set up with DW of 73 pounds, 28.50 draw length. According to a calculator the KE is 87 enough for dangerous game. Things can go awry when you shoot at a deer, it does not have to be a disaster when you hit a shoulder with a rage. I have always maintained that rage should get into the arrow business and sell setups that work much better because they are heavier

9. kthomas21

kthomas21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot the 2 blade rage for years...currently the hypodermic...I get a pass through pretty much every time. I shoot a 72# Bowtech Experience with a 29 inch draw. I also shoot the Easton FMJ 400's. I agree it depends on the set up, but do not see me switching to a fixed blade anytime soon. I have zero issues with a fixed blade, and have zero issues with mechanicals if shot from the correct set up. People love to bash the broadheads, but I think mostly it is the set up and user that make the mistakes possible.

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    87 KE is awesome. In my opinion with that much KE you should've blew right through the other side. None the less it's good to hear you're shooting a heavier arrow. Too many Rage shooters shoot light set ups.

11. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You should question why with all that weight and KE you didn't get a pass through. Last year I shot though one shoulder and got a clean pass through at 62 with a 400 grain arrow and killzones. Why with more draw weight and a heavier arrow does the rage not outperform a broadhead of similar specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Once I get the deer skinned it will clearly show the arrow punched thru the heart of the shoulder of a mature heavy buck, it went 40-60 yards and dropped that was with 1 hole in the deer. I would say the rage performed perfectly not sure what mechanical could have done better under the circumstances. My whole point of this If you shoot Rage or any mechanical please use a heavier arrow, you will not be disapointed

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know I promised pics but the cable was out so I left my laptop at home for the wife when I was on the road this week. The fully deployed and went thru the heart of the shoulder blade went thru the other, the arrow broke preventing the head from poking thru the outside hide, I found the BH and 2-1/2" of arrow between the shoulder and the hide. Piece of crap piledriver broke and one of the blades on the titanium broke;) I hope to find time to find pics this week yet, but I have to pick up a friend and the airport and get to Wisconsin deer camp Thursday night

14. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hate Rage's, or any other mechanical.

I hate the people that think they can screw them into any arrow, or use with any bow, and think they are automatically set up and ready to go.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly my thoughts if you go mechanical go heavy, otherwise you will be disappointed in the result. Mechanicals need higher KE to be truly effective.