What are good Screw Steps brands?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used screw steps before but I've got some thick areas I'd like to be able to a few times a year and be very stealthy. So I'd like to put some steps on a few trees so all I'll need to do is go in with my Lone Wolf hang-on and climb right up. So what are good quality steps that I won't have to worry about rusting out to quick.

Thanks

2. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I rarely use screw in steps anymore, more climbing sticks, but when I did, I always stayed away from those with a hinge of some sort. I had a couple of them break on me at the hinge and that's a scary feeling. I always had good luck with the solid, 1 piece steps and the skinnier the threaded section, the easier they went in. Never had issues with them rusting, but at the end of each season I wiped each of them down with some WD-40. They make some tree step tools to make them easier to screw in, never tried one though.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hate them. After banging the corner of my eye at the bridge of my nose, got nasty little cut and two black eyes....why do I blame the steps? I was climbing in the half light of the morning into a friends stand and the top step was placed at different angle ....I didnt expect it to be there. A climbing stick and it wouldn't have happened.

In any event. The only steps worth using are the Ezy climb steps...they really have a nice taper and screw in well. I use one placed above a stand when I am setting them in the summer with two people , I have a small block and tackle ...we pull the stand up to hight and then we don't need to hold it while securing it.

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cranford EZY Rod Steps!!!!!!! The MOST SECURE screw-in steps out there. They will not fail, you can take that to the bank. These things are a bit on the heavy side compared to some others, but they screw in very easily. I have 14 of them, and they get me (long legs) 25-30 feet up, easily. They are $4.60 each, and a 50 box is $183.55. This company also makes several other awesome step configurations. I don't endorce too many companys, but this is a good one.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cranfords are great steps. I also like the big Gorilla steps. They have a really nice tapered point and they are over-sized. I can usually find the value packs on-sale at the end of the season like Wal-mart. Some times for as little as $1 a step!

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those are great steps, I also picked up a couple packs a few years back at the end of the season. They were from Wal-Mart also and got them for $5 for 6

7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I ended up ordering the Ameristep Gizzlys steps. Not to pricey to try out and I liked the big 6'' steps.

I also found an interesting tool take could make putting steps in much quicker and easier. It's a simple wrench that gives you a little more leverage.
    The Ultimate Tree Step Tool

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let me know how the tool works out for you!

9. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys take your steps out after the season or just leave them in for the next one? A little worried about poachers but not much. Maybe worried more about rust.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Leave them in and take them out at the end of season.

11. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or leave them in and take them out at the beginning of next season. LOL

My steps always come out fine but I usually have to cut the chain to get my stands down. I never learn...:whip:

The 6 pack Ameristep from Wally-world for me too. That is the only thing I ever go there for.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  12. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Did you watch the video on the screw step wrench? Looks simple.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep it looks simple. If you are going to hunt the same tree I believe it would be better for the tree if you only punch it once. I would never advice using the same hole more then once if you are going to remove them each time.

I want to be able to sneak into my set at O'dark 30. Removing them each time is going to take time and create extra noise.

15. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using tree steps for 28 years. I feel 100% safe in using them. I've never had one break on me or come out. I used Ameristep tree steps for the 1st 20 years but someone on here suggested trying out Cranfords. The Cranfords are twice the price but wow they screw in much easier. Their much sharper then the Ameristeps. The only thing I don't like about the Cranfords is the screw in part is shorter then the Ameristeps.

16. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had 2 bad encounters with screw in steps that were left up from previous years form other hunters. Definitely left up for too many years. First was I had one snap off but luckily I didn't fall out of the tree. Remember the 3 points of contact rule, 2 hands, 2 feet, have at least three attached to a step at all times. Never lift a leg and hand at same time cause if a step breaks you're gonna fall. Good idea to always wear a climbing harness also. 2nd incident was I was hunting a stand a cousin hung years ago and had a step come out. I fell only about 4 feet to the ground and one of the others steps ripped open my pants and almost castrated me. I could feel the scratch on my thigh and was afraid to look down but luckily all was ok. The tree had rotted out and I didn't know it cause late in the year it's hard to tell if a tree is dead with all the leaves gone. These situations could have been prevented by summer time inspections but I was young and dumb and just getting into hunting. I leave steps in all year still but I always use a safety climbing rope and plan on replacing the steps after 6-8 years. I am buying climbing sticks more now though but I do worry about them walking away even with a lock on them. I haven't liked the cheap Ameristeps in the past because I have had issues with the screw not being sharp enough and them being a pain to get started screwing into the tree.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  17. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you leave your steps in year round? If so after how many years do you replace them? I worry about all the holes they make killing the trees if I take mine down every year. I've been told bugs get in the holes and they could kill the tree. Plus it's kind of a pain.

18. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Shultzy, how far apart should I be putting these steps? In my mind I'm picturing a tree the size of a telephone pole and the hooks on each side but if the tree is a much larger diameter then I'm thinking two feet apart and angle them out? Not sure.

Kilboars Hunt Club

19. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use them, but the thought of slipping and raking my leg over the end of one of them just always bothered me. I would think they could tear you up pretty bad in a fall. The recreation area I hunt on doesn't allow them anyway, so I switched to hang on ladders.

20. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking of even bringing a cordless drill to start a pilot hole initially but this handle my do the trick.

Kilboars Hunt Club