So about those "Stinky Under Armour" threads....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by uncljohn, Nov 10, 2014.

1. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to think they were funny when someone would say "don't you wash your gear?"

Well regardless of the complaints I had seen online, I got a 3.0 Baselayer shirt over the summer. I wore it last week during one of the colder mornings, and wasn't planning on wearing it the following day it was going to be warmer, so I just took it off, noted the armpits smelled a little of BO, and then dropped it on the floor to wash after my next hunt with my other clothes.

So the next day I go to do laundry after hunting, and my "slightly smelly" Under Armour Baselayer 3.0 has morphed into some rancid, putrid combination of BO and vinegar. I mean, this was a smell I had NEVER smelled come out of my armpits. I almost gagged.

After washing it, it does seem to smell like normal (odorless). But wow, that was an eye-opener of the smelling-salts kind.....

Also the fact that an XL is cut to be a Large at best, maybe even more like a medium, but that's different story.

2. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just use some base layers I got at wal-mart for $14.00. They keep me very warm and has scent IQ I have no problems with them. I have never smelt any odd vinager or BO. I also use arm and hammer deoderant unscented.

3. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear 4.0 and the standard UA and have never had a problem with any of it stinking?

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have several UA base layers and have never experienced that smell.

As for the cut, most are designed to be compression fit so of course they will be tight.

5. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had mine smell. Just the normal base layer stuff though that makes you look like Peter Pan when you wear it. It makes you feel like a ninja though ha ha.

As far as size, I've noticed the pants on hunting cloths was only thing that had to buy bigger than normal. Everything else didn't fit too bad. But I could probably easily wear the next size up on most.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never noticed anything with my UA 2.0, but I also hit all my hunting clothes with ozone after each hunt.

7. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use some merino wool i recently purchased and it absorbs my stank *** pretty well.

8. J-Daddy

J-Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a number of UA base layer tops and never had an issue with any of mine... Maybe the neighbor's cat has been taking a leak on yours when your not around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like others, I love my UA 3.0 base layer. Makes it to where I can be warm, with a fraction of the clothing on.

10. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have cold gear and only wear it if the temps really start dropping.

Other than that it's Merino Wool and Fleece for me. I don't have the time to wash a piece of hunting clothing after each use, like Under Armor and most long underwear will require.

11. RuggedOutdoors

RuggedOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I only wear merino wool anymore. Scentblocker has some great options for early, mid and late season. Wore their late season stuff this am with 30F and 15moh winds, never got cold.

12. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only wear merino wool also. I made the mistake of wearing UA on my first elk hunt, two days in and I couldn't stand myself. I wouldn't waste my money on UA, but that's just my opinion and experience.