COLD weather gear

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MnHunterr, Nov 10, 2014.

1. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lets talk COLD weather gear... Highs in the teens this whole next week, 10+ inches of snow expected today, and wind are going to make it feel like -10 a lot of times.

I understand it is very hard to stay warm with wind and that cold of temps without a heater of some sort... But how do you prepare? What layers do you use specifically? What brands do you recommend? What boots work well for you?

I do not have high quality cold weather gear and am looking to invest in some that will last.

2. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a fan of the Natural Gear Windproof Fleece. When really cold, here's how I layer....

- Under Armour Cold Gear Base Layers
    - Nat Gear Windproof Fleece Pants (mid layer)
    - Nat Gear Layering Fleece Henley (mid layer)
    - Nat Gear Windproof Fleece Vest (mid layer)
    - Nat Gear Windproof Fleece Bibs (outer layer)
    - Nat Gear Windproof Fleece Jacket (outer layer)
    - Nat Gear Windproof Fleece Neck Gaiter
    - Nat Gear Double Layer Fleece Sock Cap

I've got Under Armour Cold Gear stuff too. It's just not as warm as the Natural Gear Fleece.

3. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    There has to be other people here who hunt in extreme cold... Come on guys/gals, give me some suggestions!

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    screw layers, I throw on my heated biker suit and carry a little 12v battery in my pack.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IWOM works great

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be putting the Heater Body Suit to the extreme test this late season, but so far I'm impressed :tu:

7. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I know you've had some cold sits this year so far... How did the HBS hold up in say 10 degrees? How do you dress underneath the HBS?

8. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a Heat Demon vest and insoles last year and I wont go out if it is 35 degrees or colder without them now. Expensive, but worth it.

9. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use wool baselayers...IMO, a must. I use a full set of carhart overalls over my baselayers and then some camo pants and coat. I also use my packboots that I have for icefishing while i'm out in really cold weather. Scent control for me at this point is out the door, so making sure I have the right wind is critical now. Highs in the 20's all week here!

10. Whiskey5

Whiskey5 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of the same thread as I was trying to get at with my IWOM vs HBS suite - interested to what people will say. Went from supposedly getting 12-15" here down to 2-4" but temps aren't looking like they'll get out of the 20's for the foreseeable future.

11. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    We have gotten close to 10" so far here in Foley... I really have no clothes to withstand the cold once it gets below 20 degrees.

12. staywarmguy

staywarmguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There's a brand new product you put on over your current outerwear to keep you warm on the stand called the Hunter's Apron. It has a neck gator, hand muffler and multiple pockets all built in to it. Plus three layers of material - great for cold weather hunting. You can check it out here:

The Hunter's Apron

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So far the coldest I've used it was in the teens, but the winds were gusting into the mid 20 mph range. It's been great! So far I've worn UA 2.0 baselayer, Gamehide helium fleece pullover, and my Gamehide gridloc pant & jacket. I also use a hand muff and liner gloves, 1 or 2 pair of wool socks (Fits or Smartwool) and my Mukluks. I wear everything on my way into the stand and then once I'm strapped into my tree, I pop on the HBS. Knit cap and or gator and you're set.

I'll try and get out late season with temps in the 20-30's below and see how it works.

14. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I invested in Cabala's MTO50 jacket and bibs a few years ago. I'm very cold blooded and have a hard time keeping warm until buying them. Two good base layers,good hat,gloves, hand warmers, wool socks and pack boots rated for 100 below and I'm set.

15. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pissed away $$ on 2 pairs of battery powered socks that really did nothing to warm my toes. I just picked up a pair of Thermocell Proflex insoles that run $179 or so. I had a couple gift cards that lessened the bite. Turned them on yesterday and they got warm so they should take away some of the chill. We'll see tomorrow, I'll be in the stand at 6am and it's gona be 25 degrees.
    I hope I'm writing about a bow kill tomorrow but if not I'll review these foot warmers.

16. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much impossible for me to use a heated body suit being I shoot a traditional bow. I've hunted in temps as cold as -30 below. Honestly it plain sucks hunting in cold weather. As far as what I use I don't use nothing brand name or fancy. How you layer you're clothes is the most important thing. A couple sweatshirts, turtleneck long sleeve shirts, a ****ie, insulated coveralls, a fleece jacket under my coveralls. The tighter you're clothes are the worst. You want you're body to be able to breath, not sweat. When you sweat eventually that sweat will make you cold an hour into you're sit. My insulated coveralls are XXL. I normally wear XL coats. The XXL coveralls help out with me not being so tight and letting my other clothes be able to breath.

17. Ranbo

Ranbo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IWOM is unbeatable. I love that thing.

18. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

That is why I cannot wear UA. If I do, it is over the top of a long sleeved shirt.

19. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the under armour 3.0 baselayers, and regular cold gear. Bought them for half price on sale last year. In the 30 degree range I wear the basic cold gear, then fleece windproof pants, then a pair of waterproof camo pants. For tops I wear the 3.0 baselayer and then just throw on my winter jacket (cabelas or herters brand).. once it drops below that I go the 3.0 bottoms with the same pants. I add a fleece windproof sweatshirt at that temps. Once it gets into the single digits I go with the 3.0 bottoms, fleece pants, and bibs to go with my tops. For gloves I have glomitts and put a handwarmer in the little mitt part, or I go with a muff and wear a lighter glove on my shooting hand and toss hand warmers in there. Camo windproof balaclava, and then I wear a liner sock, and 2 pairs of wool socks and my 1200 gram Danner pronghorns. I might even go up to a 2000 gram boot someday.

20. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use under armour base layers, than my issued waffle top, than a fleese layer, than my basspro redhead bone dry stuff and I'm solid to 0deg or so. Oh and a UA face gator and beanie. I have rocky 1000gr boots that do ok but my next investment will be heated insoles, was 10 deg today and snow. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415723870.817952.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415723924.987144.jpg