My "Ain't cutting the buck - tee" keepsake buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Nov 9, 2014.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good grief this went way longer than expected when I started typing.

Been a rough season thus far, got a little better today though.

Up until this weekend I have been all but skunked while on stand. I put a bad hit on an unrecovered turkey, seen the butt of an unidentified deer and as most have dealt with the winds have been ridiculous.

That all started to change this weekend, primarily because it's early November but I like to think a pocket knife had a little to do with it as well, or a little keepsake luck. It belonged to my late grandfather and I have carried it with me for the past several years since it was given to me. It's not valuable, rare or unique other than it was his. Earlier this year I couldn't find it, looked high and low and for a month I thought I had lost it. Too make a long story short I finally found it and put it away as to not lose track of it again, until this weekend. Seeing it earlier in the week I put it with the rest of my pocket items, and since carrying it my season did a 180.

[​IMG]

Friday I started my rutcation and went from a deer butt in 5 sits to 11 sightings over an all day sit. Didn't see much for antlers but just seeing deer again was a welcomed change.

Optimistic was the word of the day for Saturday, but the winds were once again terrible. It would also offer me my first glance at a shooter buck, but as they always do, the doe led him off the property onto the neighbors. I had his attention with snort wheezes and grunts, but I lacked what he was craving and after 2 minutes he was gone. This day would give me 10 sightings, but more importantly I finally seen some antlers.

Today started off perfect, except for the blowing deer as I arrived to stand :lol: Winds were dead calm, temp was 30 degrees and the rut was on. I knew the woods were going to be alive with bucks cruising and does being pushed. I was daydreaming about how choosey I was going to get to be. Then the sun came up, started off OK with a dorky little spike who has been a regular, then a button buck followed by a doe and doe fawn. The doe while not spooked or stomping kept blowing. Neither of them took off running, so I was happy with and live decoy in front of me and a locating call ringing out to horny bucks. After they left the winds started moving in and I switched stands to where I really wanted to hunt.

Getting to the new stand I seen movement up the trail and seen a train of turkey steamrolling towards the bedding area I was eager to hunt. I hurriedly got up the tree and no sooner than I hung my bow and quiver a small doe comes out and browses about. She soon went back in and the winds picked up and shifted again, now blowing my scent directly into the bedding area. Again I climb down and go back to the previous stand. It's now 11:30 or so :lol:

Back in the stand, noon comes and goes along with the NFL kickoffs. Start trying to follow the Steelers game but keep losing connection. Getting disgruntled about the winds, moon, Steelers losing and the warmth invading I contemplated calling it a day. Fast forward to 2:20. I'm siting there trying to get a score update when that unmistakable blob catches the corner of my eye. I turn my head and see antlers, and they're moving fast. Bow was in my lap and release already clipped, I set my phone down and righted my bow. I could see he was small and almost passed him, but something told me to shoot. I get pulled back and settle my pin. Meh him 3 times, getting louder each time before finally yelling HEY and he finally stopped. The shot was true and hit it's mark, but I thought I seen the nock still in him as he ran. Listened and thought I heard him crash about 30 yards into the woods. Posted my buck on the ground teaser pic and headed up to get recovery gear.

Went back to site of impact and found my arrow buried in the ground. Started looking for blood but my uncle found some up the hill before I found the first spot. Double lung center punch and he still ran over 200 yards. Up a hill, across the hill, jumoed a fence and then down the hill onto the neighbors property. When we got there about 35 minutes after I shot him 2 coyotes were about 30 yds down the hill. Luckily I knew the shot was good and went after him right away, it's amazing how thick they are here. He was all kinds of busted up, had the tip of his main beam busted off, had 1 abnormal point busted off at the base and another on the other side busted off about an inch up. Would have been an 11 point but will end up a 10 or possibly 9.

As for the buck-tee, don't have the patience or the looks to grow a full beard. Started letting my goatee grow last October until I put one on the ground bigger than my '11 9pt. 14x and change, forgot an H4 measurement and haven't rescored. Been calling it and buck-tee ever since and haven't shaved since October of this year. I can shave the beard, just not the buck-tee yet. That quest starts anew Tuesday 1/2 hour before sunrise.

My buck on the ground teaser pic :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Been fun following your hunts. You deserve that one...

3. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good job bud! Loved the story and he a darn fine looking buck! Congrats

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! You earned it!

5. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a great buck. You definitely have been putting in the time. glad everything finally came together for ya :)

6. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats !!

Tim

7. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, Nice Buck.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on finding the knife and the buck

9. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats... lucky day!

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, the quest starts again tomorrow at sunrise. Still have a buck tag and antlerless to go.

11. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome buck congratulations!

12. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!! And thanks for sharing the story :)

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: I did you guys a favor by omitting any pics during the field dressing.

I was dressed for the 30 degree morning. Had my base layers on then jeans and long sleeve shirt(pictured) then my lightweight coveralls and and light jacket. By the time I was done I was shirtless elbows deep :lol:

Then had to drag him about 75 yards all the while he's still trying to make rubs on every damn tree along the way.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Almost forgot, also got to christen the bed of the new truck!

[​IMG]

15. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats. I would definitely take that buck any day.