Help me get to my stand.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichiHunter, Nov 7, 2014.

1. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I seem to have created a bit of a problem for myself, I'm looking for a little help. I have a small piece of property surrounded by larger pieces of property, I keep the deer fed, fat and happy, I've went from 3 does to 13 does on the property. I'm not hunting the does on my property yet.

All 13 does are with or around each other for the vast majority of the day. 4 of the does are the offspring of the ringleader. On average, they'll be on my piece of piece of property, directly in front of my trail cam, at all hours of the day. Unless they're sleeping they're usually hanging around in the area.

Momma Doe is smart and crafty, and I've been battling her for 2 years now. She knows I'm up to no good, and she regularly busts me going to the stand. I only have one way to access the stand, I can't take another route.

As I said, I'm not hunting the does, but I need the does to draw in the bucks, and the have been. The problem is, when she busts me, they'll vanish for the rest of the day. The odds of me seeing anything are gone. And since my population isn't what others have, I can't wait for some random deer to show up, because they don't exist.

What's worse is I drive 100 miles one way to get there. Knowing that my hunt may very well be over before I ever get into the stand.

I park at the end of the road (very secluded) and walk to the other end of the road to get to my stand. There's no other alternative except to walk down the edge of the road.

I could drive to the end of the road where my stand is, but if I did that, I know for certain, they'd be watching me get out of the car.

It's a crapshoot. Does anybody have some old Indian trick, or anything I may not have thought of?

Again, unless I trespass on someone elses land, I can't change my route to my stand.

2. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't laugh...when I'm checking my cameras I will either talk loudly or sing. I learned this from some boys down south that do "deer drives". The intent is to have them know you're there and nonchalantly walk away rather than spook them out of the area for good. I've done this before heading to the stand in the afternoon and watched a couple does leave the area. They were back 2 hours later. Either that or check with the other landowners to see if it would be okay to use their land to access yours.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Makes sense!

4. MarkS

MarkS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Or if your stand is comfortable enough for overnight stay in it,I've done that in the past,16 hrs straight but it worked.

5. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is dedication!

6. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't sleep in a tree overnight if the leaves were made out of dollar bills.

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard of people doing that but it hasn't crossed my mind in years. It sounds like it would work

8. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You said Indian trick.. made me think of my fav movie Young Guns! "why arnt they killin us?" "we'er in the spirit world #$%hole!" lol

For real tho. I agree with bowafide.. if they are used to people they wont freak out as bad.. be seen some when you arnt hunting? The deer where I hunt are used to tractors, four wheelers and the like. They dont seem to mind much and dont go far most of the time.