Wolves aren't so bad......

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  2. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well for one I think they could at least call an elk an elk. It's not a deer. Aside from that, I think that it's a good thing. If the proportion of wolves gets too high it could be a problem, but in small numbers I think they are a healthy thing for the woods/ ecosystems. I will still crap my pants if I run into one in the woods though.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not quite sure what to think about that video yet. I watched it a few weeks ago. Some very good points yes but some I think their stretching it too.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the video was awesome. And for calling an elk a deer, it's like calling a lion a cat. Not a big deal and still an accurate term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wolves kill 55% of the collared moose that die in Minnesota, evidently global warming kills the other 45%

6. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is completely false, experts on ecosystems knew full-well that the absence of predators had negative effects on the environment and the reintroduction of those predators would benefit the entire ecosystem.

Now, "wolf lovers" might not have know about the benefits b/c they don't understand the science behind an "ecosystem".

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The video was good. Bringing the wolves back to help control deer and elk populations is a good thing. Nature needs to have some sort of balance and they brought balance back. I don't know how well you can track the path of a river in the short amount of time the wolves have been back but there is some plausibility to the theory.

8. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm from the north west where wolves are a problem. They are destroying the elk and moose herds along with cattle on the ranches. There is a reason people killed them off many years ago. The bleeding heart wolf lovers only show you there side. Do a google search for save western wildlife. Then you will see the other side of the wolf.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! The benefits are true, but this wasn't a bombshell. Biologists knew it would happen eventually. And not as fast as the video suggests.

That's like saying guns are evil and should be banned. How many moose killed by wolves were weakened from brainworm, liver flukes, winter ticks or stressed from hot weather (they sweat if it's above 50 or so)?

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No it is not. A U of M study stated that collared moose that quit moving is quickly moved on so the carcass can be evaluated asap. The study indicted the cause of death one would think that samples were taken and the cause of death was listed.

11. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't agree with the actual save western wildlife theory's but it does show the other side. There are extreme cases on either side of the wolf topic. The problem is that the wolves didn't stay in Yellowstone. They have found some of the wolves several hundred miles away in areas that they are protected.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wolves are not the reason for the huge decline in moose numbers in Minnesota IMO. Canada wouldn't have the moose population they have otherwise. They too have plenty of timbers. You won't get no argument out of me though that to high of a wolf population can and will have an effect on deer pops and also the cattle ranchers. It needs to be controlled no doubt.

13. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will never understand the kill all attitude when it comes to other predators. Wolves should be hunted too, but when it comes to a balance in nature they are very important and needed.

14. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I'm well aware of the study, but your point skips over mine. I weakened moose is easier to kill. The disease weakens the moose, the wolf kills the weakened moose. What caused it's death? Sure the wolf did the deed, but would it had it the moose wasn't weakened?

Minnesota moose die from wolves, ticks, abandonment and disease | Star Tribune

I know Amanda. She's the lead on the sister study collaring deer. I worked with her and her team trapping deer on our property. Talking with them its very murky as to the cause, and most likely a combination of many things.

One thing the above article left out is the 2014 survey data.

The aerial survey in 2014 estimated the population back to 4,350. http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildlife/moose/2014_moosesurvey.pdf

Wolves play a role, but I do not think it's as direct a role as many seem to think.

Exactly! There are areas of Canada that are seeing some decline, but they are mostly in the southeastern parts of Canada. I'd guess they're struggling with the same issues we are being at the southern edge of Moose territory.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest problem I have is not with the wolves themselves, rather the management. I believe that the DNR is either completely wrong about the number of wolves in the state or they intentionally underreport their numbers

16. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They've purposely aiming low. As they should in the beginning of a harvest. Err on the side of caution when you start hunting something that hasn't been hunted (legally) in so long. I'm glad to see them only gradually change the wolf limits. Too bad they didn't take the same approach with deer limits.

I could get on board with a DNR conspiracy though. 3 years and I haven't drawn a wolf tag yet :busted:

17. Riverbc

Riverbc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a reply from another site

http://bigshotsbc.ca/showpost.php?p=135002

It wasn't "Overgrassed", ( I assume you meant "Overgrazed") there were parts that had some damage, over time, to alders and willows by creek beds in SOME areas. This vid made it sound like "Wolves came back, beavers built dams, problem solved, yay wolf!", when the truth is the opposite.
    There were already mitigation programs in effect to bring back the streamside vegetation, but the wolves got credit for what they shouldn't have, The beavers came back in some localized areas, like the Lamar valley, but the willows might never recover, due to the fact that the herds of elk were allowed to proliferate where NO HUNTING was allowed.
    They then introduced a different sub-species, c.l.occidentalis into the historical range of c.l.irremotus, and smaller and more shy wolf.
    The wolves went crazy on these "tame" elk and moose, and wiped out 70% of the Elk and 80% of the moose.
    Again, the numbers were reached that the Bio's targeted to allow for control of the wolves, but due to biased, factless pieces of fluff like this, the Anti's organized and SUED the Government to not follow through with the plans. The anti's killed the elk and, ultimately, the wolves. They were allowed to go unchecked, and now some are starving. The largest cause of deliberate wolf deaths in Yellowstone are WOLVES as they fight for territory and dwindling resources. Also the ones that went on ranches or wandered off in search of a food source got parvovirus that wiped out more wolves when they brought it back.
    Others got mange, probably from killing coyotes, and mange kills many lore wolves as they are simply not strong enough to stay warm, and they die.
    But these fluff pieces never tell you this. They make it sound like wolves=good, ignore all facts. wanna see a wolf starving and mange riddled? It's an ugly thing
    This whole fiasco could have been avoided many ways.
    1) Don't introduce wolves where they don't belong. There were extant pops of c.l. irremotus (Northern Rocky Mountain wolves) around. Capture them and protect them by plunking them in the park, not c.l.occidentalis, a larger and more aggressive wolf.
    2) Where populations of ungulates are above the ranges CC (Carrying Capacity), allow selective hunting in the park in remte areas away from roads, or in areas that are closed to tourism in certain seasons. Money raised could be used by the park for streamside protection etc. Again, the anti's fight these actions, and the park suffers.
    3) Given the fact that the wrong wolves were introduced, and target pops were reached, allow the State to control their wildlife populations, not anti-hunting people that don't WANT to know the facts, and publish crap like this documentary. Once again, the anti's threw a wrench in the gears, and many animals suffered and died horrible deaths because of their ignorance. This puff piece "Documentary" (Which it certainly is not) is a prime example of this kind of misleading propaganda, and that's why I hate it. People, even hunters are fooled because it's pretty and it seems to make sense.
    It's crap.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  18. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine has some property he bought in Montana strictly for hunting (mainly elk). He had a good population that have all but been wiped out by wolves in recent years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As hillbilly Jedi stated....bringing back wolves to control populations is a very good thing IMHO....and I've always looked at things as nature takes care of itself, In the end it all works out I feel, kinda like when you see Yotes with fawns etc.... Sure it bothers me but in the end everything in life falls under some type of dominance, 1 of natures not so pretty images lol

20. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So every moose in Minnesota is dead?