How do bucks move with wind???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Chago, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I understand where my place is in the wind stream. But for tomorrow's hunt were expecting a east wind and some rain. East wind is a very different wind for around here. Although the chasing stage is for sure in full force now up here. I'm just debating between a couple spots for the morning. I have some travel routes stands. My question is when bucks move, they must be sniffing for does. But that being said they must travel from a to b. would they only walk with the wind in their face? Like for instance if there's a thicket. Will they travel the west side of it to smell the bush before going in?

Just trying to understand their movement in terms of wind. Or is my thinking just the opposite. They will walk with wind in face in thicket before coming into a more exposed area?

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would think the bucks would travel with the wind to their backs. See what's ahead and smell what's behind.

3. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me thats kinda like asking how to figure out woman!

4. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's easy. Pretend like your listening and always apologize even if you don't know why. 11 years and counting lol

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks often get caught off guard during the rut doing stupid stuff they wouldn't normally do. As such, bucks don't always travel into the wind and especially so during the rut. If they hit a hot doe's trail, she's in and dribbling so she's leaving a scent trail on the ground. Bucks will hit that trail like a bloodhound and follow it rather than using the wind. While they're in "track mode" they get pretty unawares of anything else.

Best thing to do is to hunt the trail that will give the best wind for the doe movements in general and just keep your eyes peeled for cruising bucks rather than make it too complicated and try to forecast erratic rut buck behavior because a buck is liable to cross you from any direction at any time during rut.

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe the wind direction determines what direction they will travel in at all. Wind direction however will determine where they bed.

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All the deer on tonight's hunt came with the wind at there backs,even the sun. I see this all the time here.

8. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wind direction may not determine where a buck during the rut is going to walk but it could have an effect on where a doe will walk, and during the rut bucks follow the does. From what I have seen this year, the windier the day the more alert the deer. Those does pay attention to the wind.

9. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    If that is the case every deer would be on the east coast with a west wind on their back. I saw 13 doe's this evening. Wind was coming out of NE. I had Doe's coming from every direction. There food source and or bedding direction to me is going to determine the direction they travel, not the wind. JMO.

10. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Wind direction will determine where a buck walks (specially in the rut). They will scent check scrapes, doe bedding areas, etc instead of walking over to them and looking all the time.

11. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True, I was referring to when earlier posts said about when a buck trails a hot doe and forgets about wind and everything else.

12. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    A deer can reason...from another thread. The rut means there are no rules or reason.

13. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From my experience, bucks here often use the wind to their advantage even during the rut. They will get right against the river with the wind blowing from the woods to the river. It allows them to smell any danger in the woods, scent check for does, and ensures that nothing can approach them from almost any direction without them knowing.

14. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Bingo my friend!

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just because they have the ability to reason, doesn't mean they don't do stupid stuff for p**sy...just like people. The more mature bucks don't mess up as often as the younger ones, they will stay more mindful of wind and use wind to their advantage to some extent. Just if they are going to make a mistake then it will be during the rut.

As I said, still a good idea to hunt the wind as per the expected doe activity.

16. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    Ha ha. New you would pick up on that.:wave: