Proper age to hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by msigman, Nov 5, 2014.

1. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son (4 years old) has got the itch to bow hunt. He talks about "big ole bucks and pulling the deer out the woods" already. I am looking for some advise from you all to see when you feel its appropiate to take him in the woods. Not too sure during the rut is a good time but maybe after. Obviously he isnt using a bow yet but he still wants to go with daddy to the woods. I will be taking him to hunt in a ground blind when the time comes. Thanks to you all for the input in advance.

2. NwBowhunter

NwBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My advice is when he's big enough to actually shoot a bow and stay on target.

"The farther you go on foot, the better your chances"

3. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The earliest you should ever take a kid hunting is -9 months, or, before he's even born lol. But as far as hunting himself I would say whenever he can pull enough poundage (I like 35lbs) and consistently hit what he's aiming at, even if its only 10 or 15 yards.

4. msigman

msigman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me be more clear. What im asking is whats a proper age to take your child with you in the woods hunting? Im not going to let him hunt alone, I mean with me. Hes not shooting a bow yet even. He wants to go sit in the woods with me while i hunt.

5. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would tell you, as soon as he can sit there and be still with you. My son started with me when he was 12 but that's only because that's when he became interested. I would have had no problem bringing him out there to sit with me when he was 4. Your hunting might suffer a little if he gets fidgety but all kids are different. I watched a hunting show once where the guy would make a little bed in his ground blind for his son to take naps on and he would hunt all day. I believe the decision is up to you.

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My dad started taking me out when I was 6, He figured I was old enough to understand the importance of being quiet and the responsibility of hunting. Though I was never hunting at the time I did enjoy the time with my dad as he hunted. It even worked out better for him as I could help cover an area with my eyes so nothing could sneak up on us. I wasn't allowed in the woods with a bow on my own until I was 12 or 13, at this time he felt I was ready cause i could clean a deer on my own and had a pretty darn accurate shot!

7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will agree with the guys above. When the little guy can pull back the legal poundage for your state, then have at it!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  8. RuggedOutdoors

RuggedOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I took my son at 4, he sat in the stand for 4 hours. Sure he fell asleep a couple of times and yes he wiggled but we had a good time. Now at 8 he hunts with a crossbow and got his first deer at 7. It is never too early. Just be prepared to leave early as it is less about the hunt as it is about the time with your little man.

9. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was hunting at the age of four. With a .410 for doves. After that deer. I started out young.

10. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son is 4 and last year I had him out hunting with me for Turkeys, ducks and upland game!! He loved it and during gun season I plan on taking him deer hunting!

11. sadkins

sadkins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started taking my son with me when he ask to go. Think he was 6 just sit until he was ready to go. He was 10 before he could hold a shotgun youth model 20 Guage mossberg. He got his first deer at 11. He was 13 before he could shoot a bow and go hunting with it got a buck his first year.

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son is three and half. I have been having the same debate with myself. Since we live in Arkansas and winters are typically mild compared to further north, I may take out to my ground blind later in the year if I get another deer or two. I only have one doe down so far this year. But at that time it will be more about spending the time in the stand with my son than actually killing a deer.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whenever you want. He's old enough to go now, just don't expect it to last too long before he gets bored and don't be upset if he's too noisy and you don't see anything. I've taken my daughter a few times, just to sit along with me. This year, at 11 was the first year I've let her hunt.

14. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your son can understand the importance of sitting still and being quiet then he's good to tag along. Practice hand signals with him and speaking in a very low whisper..Make it a game for him and do it at home so that he get's used to it. I'd even say take him on a "mock" hunt and see if he can sit still for x amount of time.

15. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My lil boy is 4 been going out with me since he was 2.5

16. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son will have just turned 5 when 2015 spring turkey rolls around. I plan on getting him in a blind with me then.

-D

17. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All I can do is tell you my experience. I started taking my youngest (10yr old) out when he was 8. He had his own bow, but wasn't able to shoot it. (he didn't know that), it made him feel like he was a hunter. I'd take him out for a couple of hours at a time, or until he was ready to leave.

I think it worked out well for him. Now that he's 10, he knows what it's like to sit and be quiet, and now that he's able to draw enough weight, he's really excited to go out every chance he gets.

At a young age, I wouldn't hesitate to take him/her out with you. Just understand what you're getting out of it. You're spending time with your child. There may not necessarily be a lot of hunting going on, but as long as you know that going in, you'll both have a great time.

If you were able to kill a deer, I'd probably shield him from the field dressing part of it. Maybe send him back to the car if that's a safe option, or have him stand off at a distance. Probably ease him into that once he's a bit older.

I also like to quiz my kids while we're hunting..for example.."Do you know why you don't typically see deer in the middle of the day?" Because they're sleeping.
    "Do you know what a scrape/rub looks like?"
    "What is the rut?"
    "Where do you aim?"

you get the picture.

By the time, he's ready to actually draw some weight back, you'll have a great hunter in a small package to go out with you. Then the real fun begins.

Just make a day out of it. After the hunt, take him to breakfast, and enjoy it.

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 3 boys. There is no set age. Each child is different. Their maturity level, discipline, and appreciation for nature has to be there long before I allow them to carry a weapon of any kind regardless if they are physically able or not. However. it is never to early to start taking your children to the woods. I've taken my 4 year old turkey hunting with me and he loves it. Be pepared to take a back pack full of toys and snacks. :p

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  19. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is 4 also. I take him hunting nearly every time I go out. Of course I dont expect to kill many deer the next few years but that's not what it's all about. We have stayed in the woods for 4 hours and we have stayed in the woods for 30 minutes. When he is ready to go home take him home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

20. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same here.. my son is almost 3 and has been going with me this year. I am going to try to get a doe with him this season.