Let's talk about gear organization at the house.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MichiHunter, Nov 4, 2014.

1. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We finished our basement a year ago and I've got an area about 12x15 that isn't being used for anything. With me and both of my boys hunting, the house is starting to get overrun with gear. I've got climbing ropes on the dinner table, jigs on top of the fridge. My sons backpack is next to the couch, my bow is at the foot of my bed. You get the idea.

I'm gonna put together a little area for me to tinker with stuff, and keep the gear. I'd love to hear some suggestions of what you guys do, what you'd like to do, an what you'd never do again.

I'm looking to keep it pretty simple, a decent little work table that I can fletch some arrows, and make minor adjustments to the bows, and then storage for 3 bows and a crap load of gear.

Help me out with some pointers before I start making expensive mistakes.

Don't be afraid to show me some pics of your set ups.

This isn't going to be a trophy room, although I may add some.

My goals:
    Storage of gear, keeping each hunters gear separate
    Work Area
    3 Bows.
    I want to be able to walk down, grab my gear and hit the road.
    Probably throw in a TV
    A decent chair for naps.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. Jordan86

Jordan86 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe a mini fridge next to the chair and tv ;)

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my season gear is pure chaos!!.
    no help from me

4. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be watching this, at my wife's request!

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went real simple. Went to Menards and picked up 7 tubs all the same that stack real well. Took camo duct tape and a marker and labeled each tub for easy identification.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have one garage dedicated to storing my hunting stuff, and one dedicated to normal garage stuff. I got lucky and found a place that had 2 2-1/2 car garages

7. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My hunting and fishing stuff are the only things that are organized at all times. Clothes, school work, etc... plan on a few minutes to find. Since I still live at home with my parents and I'm limited only to my bedroom, I utilize my wall space and corners.

Walls: Guns, bow, fishing poles, deer, turkeys, knife collections
    Shelves: Monster Raxx, 3D tropies
    Corner: Gun safe, desk, corner table
    Floor: clothes EVERYWHERE

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stack able totes, I like jfergus number 7 that gives you 2 each one for your most used stuff and one for run over and one run over for the group.
    Hang the bows on the wall and the workbench on one wall with some peg board above for hanging tools and misc items.
    If you put the 4 odd totes under the bench and the 3 others below the appropriate bow that will still leave you with 2 clean walls and plenty of room for a chair or 2.

9. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have done this as well, but I guess was looking for some genius way of doing it thats really creative, Because I am not!

10. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody ever use Drysacks to keep clothing in? I'm thinking that since they're water proof, I could keep warm weather clothes in one, early season clothes in another, etc. I believe they'd be able to keep everything scent free since they're water proof.

With the dry sack bags, I could compress everything down, and not take up a lot of space with the totes as other guys have mentioned.

My thought is, on any given day, I could walk down, grab my backpack, toss the dry sack in the pack, my small vehicle isn't going to be crowded with a large tote, saving space for my climber and bow (and sons stuff).

When I get to the hunting location, I can jump out of the car, hand my sons there specific dry sacks to change clothes, it'll keep everything separate and easy to manage.

Also, when I compress them down, they take up very little space in the house. I could stash them under the work table without issue.

Thoughts? has anyone done this? Is it a stupid idea?

11. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All of my stuff goes into my own tub and my father the same, other than he uses two tubs. We keep all of our gear hung up in the basement during off season.

Dry bags (Sacks) are nice but they can also trap a lot of moisture in if you don't take precautions storing gear after a rain or snow. Moisture could be bad news for gear left in it for awhile. I do enjoy how small i can get all of mine with gear in them though.

12. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not have a hunting room - it's just kind of spread all over. Our porch is currently hung with nothing but camo.

But to organize something - I'd want something similar to this;

Amazon.com : Rush Creek Log Cabin Style 2- Bow, 12-Arrow Triangular Rack : Archery Bow Cases : Sports & Outdoors

Another must, IMO, would be a couple boot dryers. If you have the space to use them - I'd definately get them! Add some shelves in the corners to put totes up. Easy to slide in and out and not have to unstack the stack to get the one you want.

13. MichiHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see we had to get the ladies involved to class this place up a bit. Thanks Pink, that's good stuff.

14. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My garage is where all my gear is stored. I usually keep it in stackable totes for easy storage and travel to our farm. I actually bought different color totes so I know blue is clothes, grey is gear. I have two of each color. Most of the year the garage looks pretty normal and organized but about 2 weeks before the season starts it looks like a bomb went off. I have camo hanging all over gear my bows etc...

I also have a bench set up in my garage where I pretty much do nothing but clean/work on guns, sharpen blades, and tinker with bows.

15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My unfinished basement is about 60x35. At least 30x35 of that is hunting crap strewn from one end to the other, and has been so since about one week prior to opening weekend in WI and will be until about Christmas. Just the way it is; every year. I have good intentions, but they fly out the window real fast.

16. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah me and organization dont do well together. If it fits thats where i put it.... its sad, but sometimes i just put stuff in my non hunting truck and keep it in the camper shell if i feel like not putting it up.

17. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No problem...I enjoy window shopping at work, lol. They have a nice pop up butcher table with sink and hose hook up.

18. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what my room looks like. I am remodeling it this winter, the walls are a mess right now.

Bow Press and vise:
    [​IMG]

Bench where I fletch arrows and do general stuff:
    [​IMG]

How my gear is stored. The grey totes stack and there are 4 of them. I got rid of a bunch of stuff I did not wear earlier this year (I had one happy nephew lol).
    [​IMG]

The bows hang on the wall by the bow press. My computer is also in this room.

19. JimPic

JimPic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My little area
    [​IMG]

20. JimPic

JimPic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: