Rut

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by benwright22, Nov 4, 2014.

1. benwright22

benwright22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, when do you grunt, rattle, bleat, ect. During the rut. I have never been a fan of doing this stuff cause I never knewnif I was doing more harm then good but I wanna increase my odds. So when during the rut do you do it and when during your actual sit?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As I've hunted more and more I find myself not blind calling as much. Now granted if before light or during a hunt I see a ton of chasing or bucks dogging does in a nearby bedding area I'll grab horns some or grunt/bleat to try and get them out but I don't necessarily do true blind calling...however a lot has to do with the smaller type properties I hunt I'm usually in close to bedding areas and that doesn't bode well with a lot of motion rattling so if I do blind call it's usually grunt and bleats.

If I see a buck I want to shoot though and he's not coming in or turning...I throw everything at him if I have to.

3. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    great question, but be prepared for all the different answers you could get. I know my grunt call has stopped some nice bucks in their tracks. Other times they act like they can't hear it. I have used my rattle bags a little over the past week to no success. In the past I have only been able to bring in small/young bucks with my rattling. My bleat (primos can) has brought in more coyote than deer and never a buck.

4. benwright22

benwright22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the answers. If guess I just don't have enough confidence in them to really believe they will do any good. You always see on TV how they make a buck do a 180 and come running in but even when I see a buck and try that never happened. Because of this I thought that I have been doing it wrong so I just stopped using them

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take into consideration on TV they can edit it to make it look however they want. I'm not saying that is always the case, but I am sure it will help with sponsors if they can show a specific call brought in a monster. I personally have had luck with using a grunt call. My buddies swear by the can call, so i picked one up. Hopefully i have some luck with it as well.

-Andrew

6. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go by the phases of the rut. If it is pre rut.. buck grunt and rattle works for me. I start off with soft grunts and rattling at the start and ramp it up as I see the rutting activity ramp up. During the chasing/breeding phase I switch over to doe in heat bleat and use code blue.

All that being said, I'm not 100% sold it does good or bad. I have only had success once.. I blind grunted and had a buck that I didn't see at first, do a straight bee line, with ears flat, from across a small field. I hunt doe or buck.. it is about the meat for me, but I do wonder if a buck grunt is a deterent for a doe, especially a doe who has already breed or isn't in heat.. be a like a hot lesbian walking into a bar full of drunk guys.. why deal with the unwanted harassment.

7. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a basic primos buck call and sometimes if OT was windy or the deer were moving at a good clip..it was like I had to really blow in the Damn thing for them to hear it. I upgraded to primos buck roar...much more volume and has stopped several in their tracks the last two years.

8. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't have said it better. Love the bar reference haha. My only rule is never go balls out on calls. I grunted in a 4 point last year and he ran right to me- blind grunt - but I heard him do that exact same grunt the week before when he was tailing some does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk