tresspassers... need some advice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by thisoldfish, Nov 1, 2014.

1. thisoldfish

thisoldfish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hey all..

so I finally have private land to hunt.. 20 untouched acres in Bucks county PA. Just hopping with activity. Scouted and set up wireless trailcam (covert) and have been getting a bunch of does and 2 bucks. Shot a doe last week and excited to get further into the woods where there are the 2 bucks I've been picking up on the cam.

3 weeks ago while there my friend and I came across some drippers and right in back of us was this old guy. "'I've been hunting this land for 50 years". Blah blah. We were respectful and said that though we were sorry for him it is indeed private property owned by my friend who hikes there with her kid and she absolutely doesn't want strangers back in there. So then a few days later my friend comes across same guy with another younger guy with his x-bow. The younger guy starts mouthing off/cursing etc "we've been hunting this land and you can F off etc". They took off and he thought that was it. Until today. The guys put up three hanger stands including one RIGHT where I have my cam that's been recording all that activity. I've been purposely staying out of that area and planning to hunt an eight point next week there and these yahoos are messing everything up. If not already taken the buck. Haven't caught them on the cam- my guess is they saw it and skirted around in back of it etc.

Called DNR for PA-- they said police issue. CAlled police- they said if I'm back in there and kick up those guys to call them- but I got impression they weren't too excited to do much.

need some advice: We have left these guys letters on the stands, tried to be respectful etc but they are just getting more and more brazen. Should I a) take down their stands and keep em for next year- that way if they come back on the steal stuff theyre just taking their stands and not out of my pocket? b) take down stands, leave a note with number to call if they want to come pick them up (in a parking lot with some buddies with me!) or c) try to catch them in act with trail cam and call police? (but I think that's low yield.. I think they're smarter than that and police didn't seem excited for option C).

I'm concerned that whatever we do these guys will be vindictive and take cameras etc. The landowner is a good friend of mine and absolutely wants them off the land. She's posted signs everywhere etc and over the years they just keep coming back.

Ideas? So bummed that after years of patiently waiting for land I get handed 20 acres of heaven and these disrespectful jerks are messing it all up.

And if these guys happen to read this: You are complete tools that give hunters bad reps and are the reason people don't let folks hunt their private land!

thanks

brad

2. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is the property still posted? If so police 100%.. your friend will have to press charges for trespassing.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ultimately your friend is the land owner and needs to take care of the situation. I'd be leery of doing too much, because if something does happen ultimately your friend will be held liable as the property owner.

Next time you run into them snap their picture with your cell phone, record video of the interaction.

4. Aaron Jones

Aaron Jones Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a four wheeler almost run up on me thiss morning on the private land that i only have permission to hunt on. They high tailed it out of there when they say the orange i believe. It definitely sucks when this stuff happens.
    They most likely will become extremely angry when you tell them they can't hunt there. I would call the police again and talk to someone in charge telling them the whole story/ and what you are going to do.
    I would lock up all of your stands and your cameras so that no one can take them.
    (Since you have already left notes on there stands to take them down and not to hunt there) I would take the stands and give them a number to call to get them back if they want them. and if they don't call back Then i guess the stands are yours.
    But say they want the stands back, I would inform the police and make sure to have one when giving the stands back so that the police officer can also say to them not to trespass again. And Since you said the whole property has no trespassing signs up you are good to go. I dont think there is much more to do then this if you have exhausted all other means of talking to them to stay off the property.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why not give the stands to the police? They want them back they'll be told when they pick them up about PA laws. If they don't you should be able to get them back I would think.

6. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    trespassers can suck man. They told you to F off? And they don't have permission? I'd take their stands down and put your number on their trees.

7. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have the landowner or you keep an eye out for cars parking along road. When you see one parked by your 20 acres write down license plate and if you see it there more than once call the police. Report suspicious vehicle with possible trespassers

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your trail camera should have enough evidence for the owner to press charges. Trespass is a criminal activity...if you have photographic and tangible evidence such as tree stands then the landowner and police should have all the evidence they need to start fixing the problem. They should not need to catch them actually on the property in person with the evidence you should have on hand.

You can basically do squat yourself without a lot of legally granted rights from the owner.

9. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have the owner of the land call the law Period she can sign the trespass complaints up front before they are caught. Here is why you need to do this....cops don't want to do work and then have the property opener back out after he fact.

Get yourself a decoy cam and put it up so your cell cam will take pics of the criminals in action,put the cam up high pointed down at the decoy cam. Maybe a agent will take up your cause if you call him and plead your case. I will tell you from my own experience to get the law to come out "there is going to be blood" comment came out then they took it more seriously.

Here are some tips.
    Chainsaw
    Corn pile
    Purple paint
    Human hair
    Perfume
    Apply liberally all of above maybe it will hurt your own hunting for a while but it already sucks right.

10. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Posted signs are up, than call police.They are breaking the law, and when the boys or girls in blue show up, it should be the end of it if they are smart! Best of luck, let us know what happens.

11. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would first, make absolute 100% sure that the property in debate is actually your landowners. I would call the landowner, give them a quick update about the trespassers, but I wouldn't go into a rant about it. I'd ask if it was ok to hang some no trespassing signs for them. (No charge) You don't want them to be turned off to the idea of anyone hunting. I would then go to the store, and out of my own pocket, I would purchase and post No Trespassing/No Hunting signs. A lot of them. I would also purchase a trail cam that will email or text me a picture when the camera takes a picture.

I would (as you did) leave a very polite note stating to please remove the Treestands.

If I got pictures of them going to the property and not removing the tree stands, I would then go to the property and remove the tree stands myself. I would then leave a note on the tree stating where the tree stands could be retrieved. The address for retrieval would be the local police station.

I'm an easy going guy, if it was an honest mistake, I'm not gonna cause a fuss. But if you want to be an idiot about land that you're not even supposed to be on? We'll let the law sort it out.

The thing that cracks me up....."I've been hunting this land for 50 years". It never once occurred to you to 1. find out who the owner was? or 2. Purchase it yourself? Not once in 50 years? I have no sympathy for you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  12. clembo3

clembo3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ol one shot in the air and scream "next ones fer yew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. thisoldfish

thisoldfish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks all. Appreciate the replies. lots of good input. So- yes- there are no trespassing signs ALL OVER THE PLACE. My friend has prohibited hunting there for past 13 yrs (until the deer chomped 5K worth of landscaping and she finally told me yes!!). And these guys don't park there- I'm pretty sure they park across a gully (another property) at a small shopping center parking lot. Smart. And yes- on thursday I plan to (hopefully after drilling the buck) turn the wireless trailcam on their stand and catch them in the act. I have 3 guys getting texts from the cam so we could quickly call landowner and get police in there. That's probably best thing to do rather than take the stand down- it'll just turn into a back and forth with them I think. Getting a trespassing citation probably'll leave more of a mark. I love the idea of a decoy trail cam.. and film them bashing that thing up!! brilliant. Anyway, thanks all. hopefully this gets resolved. Bummer than my first season in this beautiful property is turning into more of a manhunt than deerhunt. Sucks.

14. Cody_MidMO

Cody_MidMO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From the mouth of a law dog...we aren't always EXCITED to go tromping through the woods on duty, but will do so. We also get tons of these calls during this time of year, so I apologize for the officer you spoke to for sounding less than enthused. You should: 1) have landowner call and make a report of the activity, and have her Cleary outline that you are the ONLY hunter with permission to be there. 2) if you see them again, record any interaction with them. 3) make copies of any cam pics you have of them. 4) call the fuzz immediately if they are found on the property and have the evidence ready for them. Make sure the landowner is available via phone or in person when they arrive because she will have to press charges.

If there aren't any vehicles around I am guessing they live on an adjoining property? Good thing to know so the fuzz can find them.

Even once the legal stuff is done..be prepared to lock every stand and cam to a tree because people your dealing with can get vindictive and may try to ruin your hunting.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Badge Carrying Bowhunter

15. CockFeatherOut

CockFeatherOut Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried hitting them in the face with a brick? Its my go to attitude adjuster.

16. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of people go through this and understand it could take a couple years to sort out but try not to let it ruin your hunts. While in your stand try to block out the b.s. and focus on the reason your there, time spent in nature and as a plus maybe arrowing a deer.

17. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, man, I know all about it and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Below is a link to one of my first threads, like yourself, with a trespassing issue. I pray that you have better luck than I have had because nothing has changed; "we have hunted this land, played and grew up in these woods and you're going to come along and tell us that we're not allowed here anymore because we don't have written permission...?" Good luck and always do the right thing even when it's hard

http://forums.bowhunting.com/bowhunting-talk/59583-help-trespassers.html

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tell them they can be thankful for hunting land they didn't own for 50yr but the party is over and they can buy or lease land like the rest of the world has to do.
    Trespassing with a firearm is a felony and the owner is fed up and is prosecuting from here on out.
    You're just spreading the word.

Don't expect it to change overnight but you can make it a little more uncomfortable for them. Just make the best of it for yourself and let it go.

Kilboars Hunt Club

19. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One huge piece of advise that people are forgetting. hide a camera by you vehicle, that's where they will most likely take their coward stance. Another useful tip. get your friend (land owner) to give you written permission or a lease agreement. with this you can press charges yourself and sue them if they are caught.

I can since your trying to keep it settle; but unfortunately, they will not go without a fight. I've had similar issues on our 40 acres years ago. the farmer who "used" to farm it told every swinging D!(k to hunt down on our ground. we couldn't convince these people that we owned it and they needed to get off. eventually, they stopped, but gees did it take a swift kick in the ACE.

I believe you have done all the kindness you can do. it's time to take action. Bring mace with you, because these F* heads could get nasty. My old neighbor got jumped by trespassers and put in the hospital several years back. If you find them call the police ASAP and tell them (POPO) there's a person with a weapon on your property and you're fearful for your life. Then go up to them and call them a bunch of worthless P.O.S's, after the cop is in view, of course. You could also take a ladder and some wind chimes out to their stands and hang them just out of reach. I would take their stands down and pile them up with ever they are coming into your property. that shouldn't be hard to find. look for foot prints or cut branches. Eventually, they will leave you and property along. best of luck and remember to protect yourself. some people are Bat sh!t crazy and will resort to violence when they feel they are in the right.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    SELFBROS...the wind chime idea is amazing! :) Can you imagine their frustration....bahahahahaha~