Corn field with turnips

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Prestonwk, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently got permission on a new piece of land to hunt where i moved too. I moved about 45 mins away so i still have my old piece but wanted to pick up a new spot to hunt closer to the house. Well i talked to a farmer and got permission on his biggest piece. My dad and I are the only ones that have permission on the property. It is around 700 to 800 acres, but its almost all ag fields. There are woods that butt up to it and a big creek/ river on one side. There are a few draws that run through the field and looks like one of the best spots i have ever hunted. The farmer harvested the beans and said we can hunt the bean side right now but not the corn side until he gets the corn out which will be this weekend. We went in and looked at the bean side and noticed that there looked to be turnips on the edge of the corn which seemed pretty weird to me. Turns out the farmer had a few planes fly out and spread turnips throughout the entire corn field which is probably 4-500 acres. He puts some cows in the corn after its harvested to eat around. When i heard this i almost went crazy! I think this field is going to be even better than i thought. I can't imagine hunting 4-500 acres of turnips. Has anyone else hunted a property that does this? The cows could be the only thing that hurt me but when there is 7-800 acres for them to roam i shouldn't have to much of a problem, I can't wait to get out there and hunt this!

2. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think they'll hit the turnips in late season? Sounds like a sweet place.

3. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would imagine they would too. I have planted turnips and hunted over them before but never 500 acres of them so I'm not sure if its going to be hard to hunt. Im a little worried with so much that the deer won't be as concentrated as they would if it was a food plot. I just need to start hunting a good vantage point and figure out their patterns

4. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We flew turnips and radishes over our corn field last year and the deer hardly touch them. I planted a turnip, radish and brassica plot this year and it looks really good but the deer don't touch them. Around here they don't eat that kind of stuff for some reason but most places they hammer it. It will be hard to hunt with it being so many acres of food but the deer should be in that area in the winter!

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our deer are weird around here about turnips and rape. There is no rhyme or reason to when they will hit them. Sometimes it is October and others it is February.