"You're Not Dedicated"

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PinkPony, Oct 31, 2014.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got told this the other day. It has really been irritating me (especially because of the source). I try to put in as much time as my schedule permits. But along with my other life responsibilites it is not 100%. I was still able to put out cameras and check them (weekly), I was able to practice shooting my bow, I even scouted some places. However, you add in a job, a new house, a horse, a puppy, my night volunteer positions (fire fighter and borough council), and things of the sort I couldn't do it all.

Now that the season is here "I am not dedicated" because I haven't shot anything yet. To me, I choose my shots wisely. I wait until I am confident in the shot. Maybe I am waiting for them to be broadside - or in a wide open space - but that is what makes me confident. I have not had the opportunity to do this yet, therefore I haven't shot anything. I am not going to shoot an arrow through tree branches because I feel it can go through. I am not risking hunting in the rain and possibly losing my deer due to washed away blood. If I am not comfortable - why risk injuring an animal?

I am not dedicated - per an "avid hunter". :confused: I enjoy it. It is a hobby - not my life. Yes, it gets discouraging not shooting a deer - but it's life (Heck, I haven't gotten one in PA since 2010!)

Ever get told something similiar?

What do you feel is the proper dedication to bow hunting?

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Proper dedication is determined by the dedicator. In other words tell whoever told you that to stick it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not personally. I usually get told the opposite. Its just a hobby and some do it more often then others. Who cares what others say. Do what you like to do to make yourself happy about it.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let something like this bother you. Youre partner tells you youre not dedicated to the marriage, put some thought and time talking it out. Some jackalope tells you this about hunting, who cares? Its important you do what makes you feel right and what makes you enjoy the sport. Don't pass a small buck you want to shoot because of what others say, don't hunt in the rain to impress someone even if you don't wanna be there, don't take a shot you arnt comfortable with just for someone else. You enjoy the sport in your way and at your pace.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  5. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I needed that. I like it!

I'd love to tell the source to stick it. In a round about way I did and the conversation was silenced. But, it comes up far too often. I wouldn't mind putting more time to it - but being the only one home 5 days a week makes things a little tough! I believe my inexperience factors in, too. But I feel confident I am doing things properly.

John, I'm the wife. I'm the one that encourages all hunting - I just cannot do it right, apparently! Little things like this bother me because it is a male dominated hobby that I'm already trying to make it up and beyond. I may be new to it all (five years hunting) - but if someone wants to do it - I fully encourage them!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  6. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you hunt for a living and the person that pays you to do so said it... tell them to flip off imo.. hunting for fun is what you want it to be. I hunt a lot, but as long as I deal with my responsibilities and my wife is ok with it.. I give a rats behind what others think. Stay true to yourself and try not letting others get in your head. ;)

7. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't really say it better than what's already been said...I'm sure we would all love to spend more time in the field. Unless you hunt for a living it's just not that simple...You could probably tell me I'm not "dedicated" enough because I'm not hunting at all right now. I live in the city of Miami...couple hundred miles away from any area with a good chance of hunting anything other than gators and small game. I spend everyday (between my busy work and home schedule) reading, researching, and planning my trips. I'm I not dedicated because I can't get out into the field everyday? Some one said it best ... dedication is in the eyes of the dedicator...I dedicate as much time as my life permits to my passions & find almost as much fun planning, preparing, and fantasizing as I do actually getting out there...(it's ALMOST as fun...)

Let the haters hate!

8. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all. It irritates me more than it should - I just need to get a deer and prove them wrong (and forget about what they said)!

9. iahawk

iahawk Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I didn't realize there was a certain level you had to hit to be considered dedicated by someone else. Hunt until you feel like taking a break. As long as you're comfortable with the work you did and are satisfied at the end of the year, who cares what anyone else thinks?

10. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't need a deer to prove them wrong...just need to enjoy ur time in the woods. That will prove them wrong, even if they are to dumb to know it

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No one else can determine or judge the amount of dedication you need to put into any activity. Tell them to take a long walk on a short pier.

Blessings........Pastorjim

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To each his/her own Kristen. I'm like you and let a lot of stuff walk. I just really enjoy the hunting aspect as much as the killing so I don't mind going back empty handed.

13. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's actually kind of funny (not for you because it irritates you). But .... seriously? Someone else decides if you're "dedicated" or not? LMAO. The best thing about hunting (one of them) is you do it by yourself and the way you want. What makes you happy hunting is all that matters to you or anyone else. I could give a crap what anyone else thinks about how I do it.

Been told the exact opposite. That I am absolutely insane beyond obsession when it comes to hunting. I put a lot into it (admittedly more than I should), but that is what makes my hunting world tick. I'm not out to prove anything to anybody nor should you be. Do it the way you are allowed time wise and what makes you happy. Very simple.

Also waiting for a perfect broadside open shot in good conditions is really not a bad practice to implement. There is nothing at all wrong with that. If that's what you're confident and comfortable in doing, then do it. I've had the same philosophy for 26 years of bowhunting. Its the way I like to do it.

14. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks all. I'm heading out behind my house for a quick evening sit. I needed to get this out and feel much better.

Thanks again!

15. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and have FUN!

16. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I read your original post and skipped to here, so if this is repeated sorry.
    I've never been told that and if I was it wouldn't set well with me.
    I'm married with 2 awesome boys which my wife stays home with and homeschools. I'm the bread winner in the family. So do I spend all day and night in the woods, no. I spend as much time as I can and I pick my times much, much more than I used too. I used to be in the stand everyday I could. I've had better luck picking the times that worked best based on the weather and time of year than I ever did being in the stand everyday. It isn't what other people think about you anyway. If you are satisfied with yourself then there is something those people can go do.
    Remember this... "The people that matter don't mind, the people that mind don't matter."

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This stuff is too much fun. I don't let anyone get me down in the deer woods.

18. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That comment would roll off of me like water off of a ducks back.

We're not getting paid to do this. We're doing this because we enjoy it. The longer it takes, the more you get to enjoy it.

19. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This x 2

20. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I learned a long time ago I don't hunt for anybody but myself. That means I take the shots I like, I shoot the deer I want, I shoot the bow I want, etc., and I don't care what anybody thinks or says. Hunt your way, have fun, and good luck!