Problems with owning under 20 acres?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by spoon33, Oct 29, 2014.

1. spoon33

spoon33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looking at some land that is 17 acres big, prob 75% wooded and was just curious what some of the pros and cons are for people who have bought small land like this.

I currently only have access to public land, so I would love to have something for myself, and it's only 50 mins away.

I know your neighbors play a big role in how successful your hunting is, but I was just seeing if you can even keep deer on that small of land.

I won't be able to plant a food plot, just a feeder or two.

Does anyone who bought small land regret it and wish they would have saved their money, or is it worth having your own spot even though it's not the 640 acre paradise we all want.

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it's the right small plot... it's as good as gold!

3. Ryguy3684

Ryguy3684 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a 30 acre plot thats 50/50 woods and field. Location is everything. This place has been a gold mine for deer the past few years. That said, I hunt mostly for meat, so I don't mind not seeing many big bucks.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Besides neighbors if the woods are not thick enough for good bedding areas they would just use the land to pass through not draw them in.

5. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a piece of property that is considerably smaller than what you're looking at. In a little over a year of actually trying to bring deer onto the property, I've been successful. Now my problem is, I can't manage to get onto my property without jumping them.

If I had 17 or 20 acres, I wouldn't have the problem I have. I think if you worked it right, and if you know there are deer in the area, you could have a real nice property.

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why can't you plant any food plots on it?

7. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is the land next to it, or all four sides. Small tracts of land can be golden. I would love to have just one acre in certain areas.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have 20 acres, if it is wooded you are golden. Mow and trim and make your own funnel. Plant fruit trees and small plots it can be productive. I start hunting Halloween keep the pressure low and the hunting can be great

9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    a chainsaw and a bit of hard labor, a 17 acre spot (in the right place) can be incredidible

10. spoon33

spoon33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I can make food plots, just don't have the equipment. Not sure about the neighbors. Going to try and meet the agent in the next week or two. The only thing I can for sure tell on the map is there is a big river 1 mile south.

11. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Of course it can be good!

12. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    River bottom bucks )
    Good stuff..
    Clover and radishes next year, the does will come )the big boys will find them

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last season I was patient and waited till the time was right. I sat once for 3 hours saw the usual doe parade. Next sit 1 hour shot an 8 point, next sit 1/2 hour shot the herd bully doe. 2 deer in 4.5 hours Small land can be awesome if the surrounding land is ok. I am lucky I have a 1000 acre gated community on the east side of my land that does not allow hunting of any kind and no other hunters to the north or south within a half mile and just 1 gun hunter to the west. An off season feeding program does wonders as well. Put in smaller 1/2 acre plots and fence them off or plant late season crops like radishes, turnips and rape mix in some clover and you will have hunting as good as it gets, plus you do not have to travel to hunt so scent control (very important) is much easier plus you can scout every day

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  14. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    almost all the land I hunt are small tracts. They can lead to great success

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own 40 acres, but to be honest most of my hunting is done within less than 10 acres of that property. It's not about the size of the property, it's really about the quality. On that small of a place, you are most likely looking for travel patterns through the property as you aren't necessarily going to hold a bunch of deer on it. That's how my place is, I have a creek that runs through it and I'm surrounded by ag fields and some big timber. The creek acts as a natural travel route for the deer, so even though I'm not holding a bunch of deer, I usually see several deer every time I hunt. I have upped the ante by working the land and putting out a variety of food sources so it holds way more deer than it used to.

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have almost 30 acres. We just bought it this summer - so we are still learning it. We own a chunk of powerlines, a gas well road, and then a smaller rectangular section of woods (Which unfotunately was logged last spring and is a MESS). There are two ponds, a little stream, and some pine trees. My problem is we are outlined in corn fields or bean fields. So this summer we were slammed with nice deer on camera - now that the fields are producing we are down to barely anything regular - just pass throughs. But, I do feel they will be back come winter.

A food plot may help the smaller ones, but being surrounded by so much farm fields - it almost isn't worth it. I have a pasture of rich clover that they go in at night.

What is your property surrounded by?

17. bmegal

bmegal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live on 12.5 acres in WI, 4 approx acres of alfalfa and small food plots and the remaining is woods/swamp/creek bed. I have a ton of does that bed in creek bed/swamp but i always have an issue with jumping them when i enter my stand. I also have my home/garden/orchard on the 4 open acres. The open acres are on the north west side of the creek/swamp which is terrible for the most common winds and my neighbors are hit and miss for me using their property to access the far east/south side of my property. I've planted a 30 tree orchard about 3 years ago. We got a few apples this year! But the does don't seem to mind the noise of our home/garden work. Bucks tend to just travel through. And i have neighbors with kids, cutting wood, shooting ducks, targeting practicing, etc. It's not ideal to own small plots of land but it can work. I'd say quality is your best bet, and having easy access to stands with the right wind would be my biggest concern. I'm hoping to use corn and sorghum next year to split off my 3 acres and try to create a small deer haven, where i access stands for the right winds.

18. spoon33

spoon33 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Still not sure of the neighbors. Realtor is supposed to email me an arieal view of the land outlined that'll I'll try to post.

19. BeastFeast

BeastFeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I own a measly 10 acres... But I know how the deer move on these 10 acres. I have all private land to my south and east but about 2000 acres of public land to my north ato my

20. BeastFeast

BeastFeast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To my north and west I was saying the deer don't hold here but they have to pass through ... The past 5 years here in Minnesota we have taken 3 140"+ bucks