When Do You Say Is Too Late?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by PinkPony, Oct 29, 2014.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When do you say is too late to go out to your stand?

I know all stands are different and a big thing is how you can get in. But I was wondering what you personally feel is too late?

If it is an evening hunt I try and get in there around 3 (Close to four hours of hunting) - however, I got to wondering about a spot behind my house that I wouldn't get out until 5 (after work)...debating if it'd be too late. But, with the time change coming up - it pretty much eliminates Friday evenings due to work.

Your thoughts?

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Usually around 4:30 during daylight savings time, but that gets pushed up an hour once the time changes. I will try to get in the stand around 3 if I can.

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in my stand 2 hours before sunset when I go after work.... I totally spaced and forgot about the time change though. That puts a damper on my hunting plans for the next few weeks.

4. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Everyone is posting about bucks on the move - and unfortunately, after this week I'll only have Saturday's (Unless I use vacation hours).

5. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the stand behind your house is on a tree line where deer dont come out until dusk it should be fine. Ive hunted a property like that before with success.

6. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of my best hunts happened right after I got into the stand. you should know your ground better then any of us. ask yourself these questions. what time do deer normally appear at this stand in the evening? and can I approach my stand without being seen? if your answers are favorable to your situation, then it's a no brainer. I've literally walked out across a field built a blind and set up a decoy. as soon as I sat down in my blind to nock an arrow, a big buck was out front walking towards my decoy, as it was just about the end of shooting time. I ended up missing him completely, but still one of my more memorable hunts ever. the point is I almost didn't go out because there was only 30 minutes of shooting time.

7. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly have no idea about my own property. Had some great bucks in the summer - then everything disappeared. Seen one run through my side woods across the road a week ago right before dark. But nothing has been too "patterned". It is a pass through chunk of woods/field. My stand is in the woods a little bit off the power line - we put it up as a just in case. I don't think it'll hurt to try it - I just have no idea when they decide to go through.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks will change their patterns as they begin to shed velvet. Bucks you had on camera all summer long may disappear to never be seen again(at least that same year). It happens to me every year. I will have a bunch of great bucks summering on my place, but once they start to shed they will begin to separate out and start looking for their fall territory. If no other bucks come into you territory as they are looking for a fall range, you could be up **** creek until the rut really kicks off. That seems to be how my land works at least. Once the rut kicks up, I will start to see some of the bucks that summered on me, but not all of them.

Running trail cameras have really helped me figure this out, and it also has let me to not over hunt my place in the early season.

9. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This truly tells a lot. Skywalker is absolutely correct. You'r best bet for a last minute even hunt this time of the year is anywhere/everywhere. Bucks are/will be chasing doe around and just being in the woods you have a 99% chance of an encounter at any time. Best of luck to you.

10. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone. I keep finding new rubs and a few scrapes behind the house - guess I just need to move cameras and see if I can figure them out. We planned on having this piece more of a gun spot.

I will be getting out somewhere. Like you both said, never know when something will wander by!

11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this time of year, even 1/2 hour on stand can work, unless you gotta bump deer on the way in.

12. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know. I have a pretty easy way in...I may try my house tomorrow evening after work.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Latest for me is 4:30 before daylight savings time. Normally I am in and settled by 3PM.

14. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like to get in the stand about 2 hrs before dark if I can. With time change coming that is going to be tough.

15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got in the stand an hour and 15 minutes before sunset tonight and still saw a ton of deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk