Deer are starting to get stupid.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frantic29, Oct 28, 2014.

1. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight on the way home I saw 3 bucks get hit in 8 mile stretch of HWY 70 west of Topeka. We got lucky as it was vehicles in front of us each time although it made the trip home long. 2 were descent 10s one was what looked to be a typical 12 with really long tines. He went down in a deep ravine so I didn't investigate further. Either way look out on the roads and looks like this cold front has them moving.

2. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a shame, but not much we can do about it besides shoot them before they reach the road. Agreed the weather this weekend should have them on their feet

3. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did anyone stop and pick them up? If we see a fresh deer hit, we try and get it - hate to see the meat go to waste.

My jeep got hit by a small buck this past Friday. Have a nice indent of a horn going down my rear quarter panel then it's horn got stuck in my bumper and ripped that off. Goes to the garage Monday. Amost $2000 worth of damage!

4. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No that I'm aware of. I can imagine the meat would still be ok after a hit at 75. Maybe 1 side. 1 of them busted open. That was one of the grosser things I've seen. Sprayed blood on the car.

5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't aware of the speed/area. Around here the areas are not that fast. Therefore, most of the time the meat is fine.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am seeing a lot of bucks hit on the roads too.

7. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing them all over the roads around here as well.

Couple weeks ago, we were headed home from our hunting spot up north, we saw a big doe get sliced in half.. Absolutely totaled the car. Driver was shaken, but not stirred.

2 days ago I saw a decent buck laying on the side of the road, from 80mph he looked like at least a big 8 point. I was half tempted to turn around go back and cut of his antlers. I know he had at least one side.

Just an FYI, in Michigan, it is illegal to take a deer or any other animal hit by a car unless you get a salvage tag from a Police Officer or DNR. Nobody wants to get in trouble because they're trying to put meat in the freezer.