How to hunt more without owning land/leasing land

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ragincajun7, Oct 28, 2014.

1. ragincajun7

ragincajun7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good Afternoon,

New to this forum, but I have been lurking the forums for a while but just wasn't a member. I love hunting just like everyone else on here. I have been hunting since I was a little kid, and bowhunting since I was about 12. Unfortunately, my family doesn't own any hunting land, so for the past long while we have been going on a few family friends land. Don't get me wrong, I have had a ton of success and I love hunting on these pieces of land, however, I am trying to hunt as much as possible. What is the best way to hunt as much as possible? Is it to just go onto public hunting lands, or is there a better way short of buying land or getting on a lease.

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, public land hunting can be fun and challenging but it has it's downsides like other people tromping through your hunt. I just started this year hunting again on public land after a 25 year break and I'm having a lot of fun figuring it out and doing the old school hunting. Try it what could go wrong.

3. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Illinois, ever county has a website that show who owns every land parcel. It gives you an overhead view. Sometimes it even will give the contact info for that parcel. Ask a few owners, you never know. I have picked up some great spots for free this way!

4. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont own or lease land either. I either hunt a buddys small 14 acre piece and share it with 2 other guys or go to a public land place 2.5 hours form my house, connected to my dads cabin. The public piece is my favorite and it took a few years to figure out the travel routes and other hunters tendencies. Don't get frustrated right away. Thats where I'll be the next 3 days.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes you just have to go door to door to different farms and see if they will let you hunt. Have your contact information on a card/piece of paper and let them know when you plan to hunt. Assure them that you will clean up any trash you find, offer them some of the meat if they want it, or even offer to help them out if they need it. Leave your information with them and don't push for an answer on the spot because that will typically result in a "no". Tell them they don't have to answer now and to give you a call after they've thought about it. You'd be surprised how many people will be open to it. Just be kind and offer them something in return and make sure to hold up your end of the bargain and you may just find yourself a friend and a place to hunt for years to come.

6. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ This. I also have brought my son along and worn my work ID. If they know you are employed, helps with a poitive image.