My 2014 Buck ...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought I would post the story of the buck i killed this morning, tho most of you know the details, especially those of you that follow the "Live From The Stand" thread.

Saturday and Yesterday were super windy and I saw nothing. I personally never see deer on real windy days except when the chase is on. This led to today ... woke up excited to go hunt ... real excited. For some reason, I was only loving talking about it ... most of the time when I got out there, I was less than enthusiastic...I still don't know why.

Today was different. 32 degrees with a SW 5mph wind, hunting an 8 pointer I have seen twice on this property. A stand I have killed a buck and a doe with by bow several years ago from.

8:00 O'clock and a small 8 pointer comes by from the West and walking directly at me... he hits the barbed-wire fence and turns South presenting an easy 15 yard shot ... just another yearling buck that I could have killed this year as well as last ... I had zero desire to shoot him. He hops the fence and gives me multiple shot opportunities @ 20 - 30 yards but my bow stays on the hanger...

[​IMG]

The squirrels were out like never before ...they were everywhere ... unlike some, I don't hate them as they keep me on my toes ;)

10:45 ... I look to the South and I see a high racked buck walking East... at this time I told myself he was gonna get an arrow as I thought he was the 8 I was hunting ... he turns North and starts walking right to me ... he hooks a little right ......I should have studied him longer ... if I would of, when he was walking toward me and closer I would have saw how narrow his rack was. So I draw as his head gets behind a tree and at this point he is only 20 yards away....he keeps walking ... I need him to turn ... he obliges @ 15 yards ... "meh" ... he stops quartering away ever so slightly with his head and shoulders behind a tree... I am right behind the tree, halfway down the body and my Guardian slipped that Killzone tipped arrow cleanly through the back of the lung on the shot side and the center of the opposite side lung.

[​IMG]

You know when you shoot a deer and it feels so automatic and so perfect there is no doubt in your mind? That's how this shot felt .... He mule kicked and ran towards the field road right were I would drag him too :nana: I see a spray of blood leaving his body as he runs...I loose sight of him ... I thought I heard him go down...

I immediately get out of the stand to look for the arrow as I watched him run far enough away that I would not bump him to look.... I find that arrow. Yeah ... it was time to celebrate :)

My cell was all but dead, so I used what little power it had to update the "from the stand" thread and my Bro..so no one was forgotten :D

The blood trail was amazing! I actually saw the buck laying 70 yards out as it is open wood behind me, but I kinda made myself not admit it was him so I could follow the blood trail....solid lung blood the whole way ... and lots of it :) ... as he lay ...

[​IMG]

I am glad I killed him, although he is not the 8 I was hunting on this property. It felt so good to successfully kill a deer after not getting one last year. He is not the wall hanger I was looking for, but something tells me I will be getting him next year when I take a little trip :ninja:

[​IMG]

You guys are awesome...thank you for all the congrats...Man I love those Killzones!

Entry

[​IMG]

Exit
    [​IMG]

He has a 2 1/2 year old body for sure and his neck was swollen .... gonna send the jaw in to get him aged ...tenderloins for dinner tomorrow :nana:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Tony! Congrats man. I guess I am going to have to start lurking a little more on some of these threads. I had no idea until right now. Super happy for you.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GhostRack

GhostRack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrat's...

5. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Right On Tony
    A great big congrats to you.
    Rocky

6. Lammy21

Lammy21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Tony!

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats bud, like Fletch...I had no idea you took an animal until I read this thread.

8. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    WTG! Love the story! Congrats man.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck and great shot.

10. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Tony, your hard work paid off.

11. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As always.........I love to see my bro from the treetops of WNY put one down :)

Big time congrats buddy!!!

Excellent shot and love the story. Crazy how some hunts go like a dream and others a nightmare.........it sure is nice when you get dealt a sweet hand once in awhile.

As much as it pains me to say it in public...........

Tony 1

Atlas 0

I have one more shift then it's vacation until December for me so hopefully I can even the score. Great job again man, couldn't be happier for you.

12. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...........same here. I've never even clicked on that thread as I just thought it was one guy posting constant updates of what he saw on daily hunts. Oops.

13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nice healthy looking buck. GREAT shot placement.

14. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw it on fb or I would have had no idea. Can't believe I didnt get a text

Sent from my SCH-I535

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, again, Tony!

16. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just now saw this. Way to go to Tony! That's a great looking buck and a perfect shot on him. Big time congrats buddy. I guess your phone died and never started working again.......cause I never got a text.

17. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man!

18. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome deer.

19. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on a nice buck!!