judging size?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by lgordon711, Oct 26, 2014.

1. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So Thursday I killed a deer and im kinda bummed. It was a button buck and they came in at about 40 yrds and I looked at them through my binos and I could not see any buttons and I looked at the size of there nose and it seemed long so I thought it was a medium sized doe. So it walked into my shooting lane at 33 yards and I made a really good shot. I go up to it and its a button buck. So my question is do you guys have any tips because I am so bad at judging? Unless there is a bigger doe with them I just cant tell.

2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't found any secrets. Just gotta look hard. Everyone makes that mistake. Don't worry about it.

3. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of the buttons around here get darker hair down the back, between the ears there skull is a lot flatter and does have a more rounded skull, and they usually travel alone this time of the year or with other button bucks. If I am going to shoot a doe, I will use my binos and double check the deer before taking the shot.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can never be 100% certain with a fawn. There's some button bucks that actually have tufts of hair sticking up or even nubbins showing, then there's them does that you go to field dress that have testicles.

Often times the smaller of the pair will be a doe, but it's never guaranteed. Most times a single fawn will be a button buck, but it's never guaranteed.

I shoot fawns, so I know there is a 50% chance I may be shooting a button buck or doe. I'm putting meat in the freezer at that point, not managing the herd so to speak.

6. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I passed on a little doe by its self about 45 min before and I thought this deer I shot was bigger. I thought it was like a 90lb doe and it was a 65lb button buck. I don't know how I made that mistake. The meat went to someone who needed it and I made a good shot so o well I guess I just don't wanna do it again.
    Happy hunting guys and thanks

7. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. It can happen.

8. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I shot a button last season that was as big as a mature doe I couldn't tell until I got my hands on it I was kinda upset at first but all an all it served me good an filled the freezer so I got over it

9. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't worry about it, I've killed 2 buttons bucks that I thought were does over the years. They all taste the same, taking one isn't going to destroy your management plan or anything. You just have to keep checking their head. Typically even if you can't see the buttons themselves, the general shape of the top of their head can be indicator. A button buck will have more of a flat top, almost straight across from one ear to the other, whereas a doe has a rounded top.

10. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys its mostly frustrating because I have killed 3 button bucks in a row. The first two were last year. I doubled up shot one with my shotgun at 130 and another ran when I shot out in front of me at 80yrds and stopped and I shot it with a .44. They were too far to check the heads and size. Got down and found out. So this one was the 3rd in a row and really frustrating now. So I just wanted some tips from you guys. I did not know about the head shape I will forsure keep that in mind and try to look harder and make sure next time. Thanks guys