missed shot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rarj89, Oct 25, 2014.

1. rarj89

rarj89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a doe today about 20 yards out. I practice alllllllll the time. I put in so much time, and yet my arrows just didn't look right. Ive got some muzzy fixed blade broad heads. I got two shots off from a distance that should've been easy?!? I blew both shots. I've never done broad head tunning I didn't think it was necessary. My broad heads are the same grain but I just can't wrap my head around how I missed that, twice!! So what's the opinion, is broad head tunning necessary?

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For fixed blades more than mechanical.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't hunt again until you are proficient with broad heads.

4. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So you had never practiced with a broadhead tipped arrow?

5. rarj89

rarj89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So your saying all the practice with field tips has been useless? If I switched to smaller mechanical broad heads would it still need tunned for that?

6. rarj89

rarj89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No I've never practiced with a broad head tipped arrow.

7. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have to. With any broadhead, you have to verify it flies with your field points. There is just no way around this no matter what broadhead you use. And if the muzzys don't fly with your field points, dont just buy a mechanical to eliminate the problem because you have an underlying tuning issue.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  8. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All the shots you have taken with your field points are not wasted. You learned how to put the arrow where you want to, that is the ultimate goal in practicing with your bow. Once you put a new head on things may change a little bit, once you get that head to fly like your field point then you will be in business and that arrow will hit the mark just like it did all that time with the field point.

Go to the range with your muzzys and take some shots. If they group well and the arrow flies straight then simply make the adjustments on your sights. If the arrow does not fly straight or the arrows do not group well then you will have some tuning to do.

9. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You definitely have to sacrifice at least one set of blades. Take a shot and if it hits the same, you are golden. I don't know how anyone hunts without knowing where their BH is going to hit.

Many great target archers miss for many reasons on deer. They 1. Don't settle the pin. 2. punch the trigger 3. Haven't practiced from a tree stand. 4. Try to watch the arrow and without knowing it, dump their bow arm during the shot. 5. Aren't using a peep and fail to bend at the waste. 6. Try taking sitting shots when they have not practiced them.

Several of these may apply... but if your Muzzy is flying true... the two most common are not settling the pin and trying to watch the arrow. Forget the arrow flight... Remind yourself to Aim, Settle, Release, keep Aiming. Watch a good archer shoot and you will see this. But do make sure that Muzzy is dead on first.

10. rarj89

rarj89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went out for a few hours this morning. Picked up some new broad heads and a foam block to shoot. I think what this is coming down to is just poor shots. I don't know how because I shoot all the time but my broad heads were just as on as my field tips. My best guess is I misjudged the distance and I know I was excited as I've been hunting for 10 years and never shot a deer. I thought for sure that one was it. Ive gotta remember the follow through on my shot for sure. Thanks for all the advice and input, much appreciated everyone!