1 Deer a year

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BigDaddy, Oct 25, 2014.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How many if you hunt in a state where you can only get one deer a year, and how do you approach the season? I am in Minnesota, and we can only shoot 1 deer a year, no matter what season... I find myself passing on a lot of does early season, just so I can hunt around the rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt Minnesota where we have the same rules but I also hunt ND where I am just trying to shoot any deer

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep 1 deer a year, take 1 shot a year.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I take it you gets get 1, either sex tag? Wish PA would do that for a few years haha

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Due to horrible management and underestimating the wolf population, the DNR finally backed off a liberal doe harvest. Then again these people also with a straight face say the moose population is in peril because of global warming.

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know enough about it, but I don't see it as a bad thing just sucks they waited that long. Would love to see a 5 year program like that in PA, then go back to what it is now, but a little less doe tags. Some areas still need lots of doe tags but most of the state would benefit from lowering the deer killing rate. One can only dream though, wont happen here.

7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We went from a 5 deer limit last year in my zone in Minnesota to one either sex this year. Horrible management over the last few years IMO. I've passed on so many deer this year.

8. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1 buck per season (3 archery season) and unlimited does. One thing that's good with NJ is our deer overpopulation.

9. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Of course, where there's been moose, there's always been wolves. The population boom in wolves is not a density thing so much as spread.

I bet with the cold winter and average summer (as opposed to the last couple scorchers), we see another jump in moose populations when they fly this winter.

10. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are NO deer in ND. You are wasting your time. ;-)

11. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the opposite problem. I have 6 tags & haven't "punched" any of them yet. If I don't get my butt in gear I'll be able to have a "potluck" of tag soup!

12. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One deer in Northern MN, so I applied for the Duluth City HUnt. Unlimited Antlerless tags. yay. First two sits shot two doe. Now I need da tirdy pointer

13. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree with you on this. PA should do this for a couple of years alot of my buddies and i buy doe tags just so no one else can get them and we just dont use them. and we have an agreement with all the neighbors not to shoot doe and the deer are starting to come back around. the heards are getting a little bigger but nothing like 10 yrs ago when you could see 20 deer in a field at night.

14. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Please know I'm not referring to you when I say this, but I get so sick of hearing this argument and its used quite often. People complain because they were allowed to take too many deer for too long, but no one twisted their arm to shoot five deer. People need to look in the mirror sometimes instead of always at the DNR. I've hunted in a five deer zone for many years but of the five farms I have access to, I'll only shoot that many off one farm, the rest couldn't sustain it. Know your land and what you should or should not do on it.

Back to the subject..if I were only allowed one deer, I'd hold out for a while unless it was the buck of a lifetime. I enjoy the hunt too much for it to end too quickly.

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My 3 year 'tag' allows me to take a max of one deer per year (buck) and only two deer total in three years. Utah is trying pretty hard to protect its deer herd.

One the other hand, I have two cow elk tags. :)

16. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

17. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree!

18. IAwhitetails

IAwhitetails Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love how iowa is set up. One any sex for bow. Makes it that much sweeter when you pass smaller bucks you would shoot if you had another tag. But you end up holding out and tagging that monster. I just buy a doe tag or 2 to fill the freezer

19. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I too am in a one tag area. Been like that here for at least 6 years now. I hate it to be honest. Anyone that says their state should do this you have no idea how it changes you're hunting. Come late season you start asking yourself how long do I hold out. In my area we have lots of deer. Too many!!! Sucks driving around at night. Makes buck hunting tough too with so many Doe's around and a bad mature buck population.

The Minnesota Whitetail Alliance put some big pressure on the Minnesota DNR to get the Minnesota deer population back up. Meetings were held all over and the Mn DNR gave in. Yes in allot of areas the population sucks but that doesn't mean everywhere. I'm pissed at both the Minnesota whitetail alliance and the Minnesota DNR that they painted such a broad brush. Here in my zone its crazy with deer, way to many! SE Minnesota where the Minnesota Whitetail Alliance has its roots has the best buck hunting in the state so I'm not quite sure why their trying to make their area better. Help us out in other zones instead.

20. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya man.

I've only killed one deer a year during my 12 years of hunting, generally not shooting anything. But going from a 5 deer limit to 1 in all areas just seems insane in a management perspective.