Hunting Videos ... Fast Forward?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Am I the only one that does not listen to all the talk when watching a kill video on FB or here?

I rarely have time to watch a whole show or even a 15 minute clip people self film...so I forward to the kill and then again to the recovery...am I alone?

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope... even BHOD only takes about 45 seconds to watch.

3. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll watch hunting films and well put together shows, but with the most recent Fanz buck, I didn't make it more than a minute into the video.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can look at pictures of dead deer all day, but I do not care for videos

5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to video most of my hunts and I have never talk to the camera in 4 years of video. It's not something I like on show so I don't do it. But I do enjoy when they tell a story of the hunt and have great videography of scenery, then I can get into it. Just not a fan of a guy standing in a field in street clothes talking and setting up the hunt.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  6. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. There's nothing different about listening to the self narrations. Been done a zillion times by now. Nothing going to stand out to make it interesting. Seeing dead deer is cool though. Maybe quick little factual blip about what went down. The shorter the better though. Fast forward >>>>>

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do generally watch the entirety of BHOD episodes but that's about it. I hate long winded commentaries, especially when they are shamelessly self promoting or congratulating themselves like the Franz buck opening. There's a fine line for me between what's tolerable and what's a "get on with the show already" moment.

8. KendalMiller

KendalMiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So as a filmmaker by trade, the biggest problem is the lack of ability to visually tell a narrative. It's interview: this is what your gonna see, then we see it, then they tell us what we just saw. Drives me nuts!!! By comparison of the team is good at structuring a compelling narrative then I'm hooked and I'll follow along. Kind of the antithesis of your typical hunting show was Donnie Vincent's "the rivers divide" I watched him for something like 50mins hunting one deer. But the drama and visual narrative was super well done.

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing wrong with that. To each there own, Im the same when it comes to alot of shows especially the gun hunts, just not interested! If it offers some info and tips about the set up (bowhunting shows) and with good video footage and quality im all in. Its the bad video where the video cam is all over the place, in and out, wrong focus or the on and on and on of an interview that is a turn off for me. For alot of people Tony its the story to and not just the hunt, if you can do those both well then you nailed it. Self filming is an art in my opinion, its not an easy task at all, and when done right I enjoy watching all aspects of it because I know how much goes into it. And please if any of my vids have ever turned someone away I would love to know why and I can build on that. I asked our editor early on to give me both the good and the bad, im a big boy and can take criticism ! IMO most people would find a vid with just the kill and recovery a very boring video but were all not the same! Hey have a great season T !!
    Dan

10. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say for me watching, depending on how the lead up is done, some I could watch hours of lead up and the kill shot might not even matter, and some the couple second shot is all that's worth it if even. Seeing some of the lead up with food plots, trail pics, scouting, sheds, different surroundings, explaining reasonings, history, etc, makes it more of a story to follow and get into it more. Some people have an art of telling a story or explaining that just draws me in, along with the video/pics/music and editing to add to it. Some of the threads and follow alongs could be enough interest I like reading or following regardless of kill shots.
    Who knows, maybe after seeing more and more it'll get old someday to me too, but for now there's lots I like seeing all the extra with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I watch every second of the BHOD episodes. I have had the pleasure of meeting nearly all of the guys here that are on the show, so that plays into it. The web show here approaches from a point that is very identifiable for me. The sponsors are shown before or in between hunts. Makes for Awesome Viewing! Like Crick, I don't care to watch gun hunting videos. Just not my thing anymore. But I respect and appreciate all deer hunters. The more the merrier. I look at each video that catches my eye to see what it has to offer and what I can learn. I look for things to learn about bowhunting, the stand setup, hunt location and or the way the are filming. (Camera angles and setups). It is awesome to see a hunter finally catch up to a buck they have been chasing for years. Those hunts peak my interest a lot. Those, no matter how long, I will watch from start to finish.

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm the same. If a show starts off with a dashcam of the guy driving to the hunt I start fast forwarding. Don't care for to much filler.

Kilboars Hunt Club

13. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We aren't to big into talking to the camera in our videos. We keep them short and sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    If a hunter documents the work he put in to select a certain tree... trail... etc... I.E.- I am learning something. I'll watch, if all I wanted to see is talk about the weather...there's channel 12 for that. If we are going to fill hours of time by filming squirrels and tweeties... I'll go to the park.

For those interested... lets document a tough blood-trailing job... Start with the shot, the angle, the anatomy for that specific shot and angle, the recovered arrow, the initial blood, the decision of not only whether or not to pursue now or later but explain what led the hunter to make that decision and maybe why the decisions changed as the sign changed. That could be really good if done well.

15. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    As with sermons... I never heard a bad short one.

16. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like Sac said, we try our best to keep it short, sweet and entertaining.

The latest two fit that description:

[video=youtube_share;tjet2Hvj5NA]http://youtu.be/tjet2Hvj5NA?list=UUCD-owK6qPulBGW-w00cWUg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;OjfJhO9q5UY]http://youtu.be/OjfJhO9q5UY?list=UUCD-owK6qPulBGW-w00cWUg[/video]

17. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That being said though...i do like to make longer videos if i have a story to tell. I did this with our turkey season this year.

If you dont want to watch it in its entirety...piss on you ;)

18. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll.watch the kills :D

19. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm watching a hunting DVD that Dan Infalt makes I listen to everything. The man has great knowledge! Depending on the author of the video I'll watch more then just the kill.

20. B-rad

B-rad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I myself like to watch self filmed hunts. But i also like to know the hunter setup such as such as what type of food source he hunting what type of land hes hunting hardwood, ag fields, food plots, travel routs and why hes hunting that setup. If he has any history of the deer hes hunting i like to see that to. O ya
    Kill shot also.