Too soon to use Estrus in Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by brandonh98, Oct 23, 2014.

1. brandonh98

brandonh98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all. New guy here... Just curious when you start putting out doe estrus in Pennsylvania. I put some out near my stand on the 19th and I'm thinking I might have done it too soon..What do you think?

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wayyyyyyyy to soon. And that doe estrus stuff you bought is probally just doe pee because the estrus in doe urine usually breaks down and is gone in about 36hrs, so I have read. I think you did it way to early. I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take it the wrong way but that stuff doesn't really work for me in my personally opinion, what would be a good investment though is a product called Evercalm, it is a deodorant stick looking thing that you can apply on a tree or multiple trees or do what I do and put it on your boots so when you walk in it covers your scent. Just my 2c but it is a product to invest in and I think you did it way to early cause I'm over here in NE ohio and I'm only seeing a couple young bucks, and by young I mean 1.5yo running around and one 3.5yo chasing but either way it was early to put it out

3. brandonh98

brandonh98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi rsmith

Thank you for the reply! You just confirmed my suspicion...

Hopefully doing that doesn't ruin that spot for the rest of the reason...there are rubs and scrapes showing up everywhere in that spot within the last two weeks...

I've had good luck with this "doe in estrus" (from wildlife research) last year and wanted to give it a try again this year...I just think I did it too soon...

For those of you who use doe in estrus in this part of the country...when do you start using it?

Thanks

4. brandonh98

brandonh98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    looking for some more feedback....

5. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Indiana and I won't start putting it in mock scrapes until the first week of November. If I have a buck down wind of me sometimes I will spray it also to throw them off.

I also suggest Evercalm - great product by Conquest Scents.

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree. I don't use scents because they're a waste of money, but right now bucks are seeking an early receptive doe. I'm sure some does have already been breed, I think it would work better now than when the real thing is available.

7. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with you and the last few years I have began using estrous the weekend before Halloween with a lot of luck! I saw a spike chasing a doe two days ago!