Question on bow draw length adjustability

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by CThorn, Oct 23, 2014.

1. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This may sound like a stupid question, but I cant seem to find too much on it.
    If i purchase a bow that is listed for a 29" draw length, how much adjustability do i have on it? If I purchase a bow with a 29" draw and I end up being a 29.5" or even 30", would I be able to change it?
    Thanks!

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can only tell you about the Mathews I shoot. You will need to get a different cam to adjust the draw length. I shoot a 28" and instead of getting a 28 1/2" I added a "D" loop to it. I've shot this way for so long now it seems normal.
    I'm going to pass on anymore info cause it won't be accurate...........................

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the manufacturer. A bow featuring a rotating module (bowtechs, PSEs and a few other) all you need to do is loosen a couple screws and slide the module to the correct position. Now these bows will usually have a range of draw lengths. 26-30 is pretty common unless it's youth bow but that range will vary. The manufacturer will specify the DL range. On a lot of bows, like hoyt, elite, and the mathews dual cam bows they are adjusted by modules. Usually you need to purchase a specific module for the draw length needed then install it. These bows also have a draw length range and can be adjusted from the minimum to the maximum via mods. And bows like mathews, prime and PSE full throttle are draw length specific cams. Meaning you need a new cam every time you need to adjust the draw. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats pretty smart, I forgot about that. That's what I'm doing on my PSE that I'm shooting now

5. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Helps a bunch thank you! I should've specified what bow I was talking about. In the market for a Chill and found one but with the cams for a 29" draw

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most bows that are a set draw length you would have to change out modules in your cams, especially if you require large increases or decreases. If it's an older bow you may have trouble finding those modules. Sometimes if it's under a half inch one way or another your bow shop can add a few twists in or take a few twists out of your string, increase the length of your D-loop, decrease the length of it or even have you attach your release directly to the string.

7. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Adding a D loop does NOT increase draw length in any way. Best to get a draw length that fits you.

8. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    The chill uses modules so yes the draw can be changed very easily without a press( I believe, not 100%) but mods should only be around 20-30 bucks.

9. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    Indirectly it does to the bow if you think about it. A 28" draw bow is still measured from the Berger hole to the string at full draw, a half inch D-loop then adds to it to really make it a 28 1/2" draw length. That's why when they measure most people for draw length they do so and then take 1/2" off to match up the bow spec draw length to the person. I do agree though, it is best to find the draw length to fit the person.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't forget about strings and cables. Not all of course but, some require a different set or length of strings and cables once you reach a certain point longer or shorter. Its not very common but, that can happen.

11. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what organization uses that method for determining draw length. But AMO is what manufacturers use and it is from the deepest part of the grip to the nocking point (NOT D-loop) and add 1.75 inches. That will give you the true measurement. So while changing the D-loop will change your anchor point, it does nothing to the bows measured draw length.

12. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Max this is exactly what i was getting at.

13. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    LOL ok ok ok we are basically talking the same thing...to the bow it doesn't change a thing, you're both right, but to the person it can. I guess that was what I was getting at. Draw length to the bow...always the same....add a longer/shorter/no loop and maybe it fits the person better.

14. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep draw length on bow is always the same. But your anchor point (string across corner of mouth, tip of nose) and the bows draw length will make the bow fit you. Adding a longer loop only puts a shooter's release arm farther back and makes them lose leverage when drawing. The string will always hit the draw stops at the bow's set length whether one has a 1/2" loop or a 6" loop.

15. ChuckC

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly......and the OP asked if he were to buy a certain length draw (sounds as if perhaps a used bow?) if there was a way to increase or decrease it to make it fit him.

If he is buying new then the shop he is getting it from should be able to figure out what his draw length is and go from there. But he clearly mentioned finding a 29" draw and asked about ways around making it fit him. BTW Cthorn, the modules on a Chill have to be changed with the use of a press.

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    If maintaining facial anchors, ie. Corner of mouth and nose than D-loop length only changes the elbow, and hand positioning.

17. CThorn

CThorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    Buying it from a shop online actually. Got it all figured out, he changed the modules to fit my draw length free of cost! Problem solved!

18. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Adding a d loop will help also Bear Archery has some great adjustment available in their models.