Broadhead travel

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 93firebird, Oct 22, 2014.

1. 93firebird

93firebird Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I seem to be having an issue with fixed broadhead travel. Twice this season I have missed my deer because the arrow is rising during flight. I came home this evening and shot a few arrows in my basement. My field points are dead nuts on at the 18 yrds I have to shoot, but my broadheads are up and to the left. I'm affraid if I adjust my sights I wont be able to find a happy medium on either. Should I try a mechanical or adjust my sights for the broadhead. Another note, the postion of the broadhead is often inconsistent with where I'm hitting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did it just start? Most will say it is a tuning issue, and probably is. If you have good arrow flight with your broadhead (as in "straight as an arrow") then I'd adjust sights to hit where you're aiming. Otherwise a mechanical could work. Many, many deer are killed with mechanicals.

3. 93firebird

93firebird Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow is not flying straight with the broadhead, hence the title. The arrows with field points are flying straight, but with field points they are rising up and left.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just set the sight for your broadheads.... Adjust your rest and see where that gets ya.

5. Shaftem

Shaftem Newb

Dislikes Received:
    always shoot and sight in with your baldheads you intend to hunt with. they never fly like your field tips. sounds like minor tuning issue. you can try turning your knock point a little and or your rest might need to be tweaked just a bit. good luck

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your bow needs tuned. Search this site for "Walk back tuning" and follow the instructions. A well tuned bow will shoot field points, fixed blade and mechanical broadheads very close to the same. I have two tuned bows and shoot Killzones, Muzzy's, Slick Tricks and field tips very close to the same. Good luck.

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what JGD said. So much misinformation in this thread already, it's awful. Your bow needs to be tuned. DO NOT just move your sights for your broad heads.

8. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Must be way out of tune like JGD said. A band-aid for the problem would be to sight in your bow with only the broadheads. A true fix would be to do some research on tuning and perhaps get some help from a pro-shop that knows what they are doing. Still in the end your field tips and broadheads may not be exactly perfect which is why you should always shoot broadheads some before season gets here to see if you have any issues.

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nowhere in this guide (link at bottom) does it say to just switch to mechanicals or adjust your sights to find a happy medium.
    Come on guys, we're supposed to set the example here and do things right. If you want a half-a** bowhunting answer, ask it on a gun hunting forum.

You have a tuning issue. Your field points and fixed blades should fly right with each other. It's not hard to do and not only does it give you a perfectly flying arrow, it gives you confidence knowing your arrow will go where aiming. Oh, and it doesn't wound an animal unnecessarily.

Try the tuning methods as the guys above have mentioned. This guide is a great tool as well. You will find a section specifically on broadhead tuning.

Target