Why do you bow hunt??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shaftem, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Shaftem

Shaftem Newb

Dislikes Received:
    this is a question ive been asked more than a few times and sometimes my answer has culminated into several answers instead of one.
    So im asking any and all bow hunters..
    Why do you Bow Hunt? id love to hear all the answers because not one answer will be the same.

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do because of the challenge. When I say challenge, I mean if you can be that close to an animal that lives by its nose and ears and them not know you are there. Even if I don't get a shot I feel like it was a success.

3. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I mainly started because i've always wanted to kill a buck in velvet. Now its a mulitude of whys... challenge, time of year, type of bow, fun!! and i can go on and on.

4. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It really comes down to my love for hunting whitetails. My favorite way to hunt whitetails is with a bow, for sure, but I don't limit myself to just bowhunting. I like the challenge of bowhunting and will occasionally bowhunt during firearms season if my setup is right. But I don't feel any less of an accomplishment for taking a target buck with a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader.

5. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my first deer with a bow this last year. The feeling of ephoria that I had was better than any drug. After the shot, I was so excited, I couldn't stop shaking. I have never felt that when shooting with a gun and I'm on a never ending quest to feel it again. Don't get me wrong, I get a thrill with my gun too but it's different with a bow. It's such an accomplishment. I can see myself going bow hunting exclusively.

6. Shaftem

Shaftem Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome answers guys. Keep em coming!

7. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Because its my passion. Its in my blood. The challenge, experience, the memories made, the delicious venison, all of it is hardwired in me.

8. Shaftem

Shaftem Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't picked up my rifle and pointed it at a white tail in years. the feeling is just unexplainable from the time you pick up the bow and pull that arrow back and release.

9. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started because of the long season. With my job it's hard to take tie off in December during rifle season. So I picked a bow up to give me more stand time. Also better temperatures and weather in general. First year out the rut activity was amazing. I got shots at 2 amazing deer. I blew both but just the thrill and rush of being that close and seeing that kind of action was amazing. That hooked me really, but it's not just the deer. I've seen Bobcats get quail, coyotes stalk deer and groundhogs, all types of birds doing their thing. It's just amazing to see and I wouldn't have gotten too see all that just gun hunting. That would only afford me 4 days of hunting a year really. This gets me out there 5or 6 times that amount.

10. Shaftem

Shaftem Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice shooting bow. im shooting an elite energy 35

11. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What else would I do?

Honestly its what I grew up with, I have allot of memories hunting with my dad and other close friends ,Memories are something money can never replace.And to me Bowhunting isn't what I do, Its who I am. And i'm just glad I can do it all with close friends!

12. Ryguy3684

Ryguy3684 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is something more primitive with a bow, over gun hunting. Even with the most modern bow equipment, there's a stick and string mentality, at its core, that people have been using for thousands of years. That's always seemed cool to me. The rush I get taking a doe with my bow is equivalent to taking a 150" buck with a gun

13. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods and its warmer. I have gotten many deer with the bow but only one with the rifle, Also growing up i was always told while hunting with my dad that i walked to loud and made to much noise and i despised rifle hunting with him (and he is can shoot long distances and i cant.). when i was 15 i bought my first bow so that i could go archery hunting by myself. and i got my first buck that year hunting the ground and he was only 25yds. Something my father has never done (shoot a deer with a bow.) it was a proud moment for me because i knew i wasn't the (horrible hunter) that my dad made me feel like.

14. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Because my wife can't climb a tree!!!

15. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because rifle hunting is just to easy. That and I'm an adrenalin junky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Because it isn't legal to hunt in Kentucky with a spear.

17. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started because of the longer season, but once I got my first deer with a bow I was hooked.

18. codyphelps1999

codyphelps1999 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love the challenge. I started two years ago and when hunting season comes around, I'm more serious, better, and love it more than the year before.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  19. mike387

mike387 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well for it was because all I ever did with friends was scout and track. They all said I was pretty damn good at being that I've snuck up on a few animals before ( I call it more luck than skill ) within about 15-25yds. So they said I need to start hunting. Well they all rifle hunt and want to take these long distance shots at hundreds of yds and try to be Carlos Hathcock. Being the kind of guy I am I was drawn to the appeal of spot and stalk hunting with a bow. Be it traditional or modern. I enjoy challenging myself and pushing myself to my skill set limit and developing more experience. I love being in the woods with nothing more than a bow, some arrows, an my pack. It's a feeling of freedom and peacefulness.

20. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Because I have to....I don't know why.