Range finder just blew my mind

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tom Berigan, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Tom Berigan

Tom Berigan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So this is kind of embarrassing and I feel like an idiot but I just thought I would throw this out there for anyone else that might be a little green in the stand. Today I got to the woods and decided to hunt different location than normal. I noticed a newly cut trail with a ton of tracks and wanted to set up on it. Well before I could even pick a tree for my climber I walked up one 2 does. One kept moving and the other one busted me, but it was only 330 so I figured I would climb any way. Well one of the first things I like to do after getting settled in the stand is to range my distance (cheap Simons range finder). So I range a few spots and it bothered me I was ranging the ground and the yardage seemed to be reading much higher than it appeared. Well thank god for Smart phone I did a little research and learned that my particular range finder does not make up of height and so most of my yardage has probably been pretty far off. I have now started using eye level trees for yardage and it seems to be much more accurate. I'm sure this is some dumb rookie mistake and I'm not sure why today all of a sudden the light bulb came on but just wanted to throw this out there so someone else may not misjudge yardage as many times as I probably have. As always good luck everyone

2. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On those short distances, honestly the angle compensation really doesn't show much of a difference, maybe a yard or two from the comparisons I did which really aren't going to be throwing your shot off.

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just be thankful you figured it out before you sent an arrow 8 inches over the back of a giant buck! Then you would have had a little different tone when telling us your troubles :)

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Many of the newer range finders compensate for arc.

5. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree!