How does your significant other deal with your passion?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Broadhead27, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm engaged to a wonderful woman who about 3 months ago bore me the gift of the most beautiful baby girl I have ever seen. She is pretty supportive of my hobbies and seems to be interested in it (or at least pretends to be). She loves the outdoors and loves to camp. She has never been hunting and hates when I take her fishing (partly because I can fish the whole day in the worst conditions..other part being for some reason we never catch anything together!) She is interested in hunting though but it's not a priority for her. I want to know how everyone else's significant other handles their hobbies because my fiance thinks i'm nuts..always talking and thinking about the outdoors. I know she just doesn't have the same passion for it as I do & I'm sure I can seem a little extreme to her at times.

2. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She knew about it long before we started dating. She is supportive and always tells me to "get a big one" before I head into the woods.

3. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just don't let it get out of hand and she'll handle it fine. Meaning don't hunt 24/7, take some time to be with her, do what she wants. Just like if she has something she likes to do you would support her but if it was all she ever talked about or ever did you would get tired of it.
    I know of what I speak.

4. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    poorly

5. Broadhead27

Dislikes Received:
    That's good advice man..appreciate it.

I feel for you!

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She goes hunting with me every chance she gets..

I use to take her home from dates at 10 pm on Friday nights so I could get up and go hunting the next morning...

She was well aware of what she was getting into 32 some years ago now....:)

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just make sure to show her that she and your new daughter always come first and you'll be alright.

I only hunt once a month if and give her plenty of time so she can plan other things if she likes.

8. Broadhead27

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice Afflicted..Say what part of FL are you in?

9. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It was one thing I made sure she knew would be priority in my life before we ever got married. Now she enjoys tagging along and has occasionally hunted. She also thinks I'm nuts as well.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    She would never go hunting but she supports me 100% and knows that it is a hobby/passion that I truly enjoy. She tells "me good luck, I love you" every time I step out the door.

The one thing she is not too fond of... Watching hunting shows. We do not do that together!

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    She knew from day one my passion for hunting. She comes with probably 25% of the time too so that helps and she loves every minute of it. She shot her first goose this year and I proposed when we picked it up; I don't think she minds hunting at all now for sure!

12. Shoot Straight

Shoot Straight Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's a new blog post that was just put up recently on the blog section of bowhunting.com and it really hits the nail on the head when it comes tot his topic. Also talks about the effects it has on the number of deer you see while in the woods if your hunting too much. Check it out, it's a good read this time of year with prime time right around the corner.

13. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Sounds exactly like my Wife.....

14. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He goes to his tree stand and I go to mine...on opposite sides of the woods. He has it pretty easy.

15. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm up in West Palm Beach but I mostly hunt in Floral City.

16. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife does not hunt at all and is not even interested. When I tell her I'm going hunting, she says,"don't let the door hit you in your a$$ on the way out"! Lol. She does love the venison as well as wild hog. I've been married 30 years though so she has become used to my hobbies. It gives her some peace and quiet time when I'm gone.

17. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't know how my wife puts up with my hunting and fishing . It probably wouldn't be to bad if I didn't take my hobbies to bed with me (setting the hook on a big ol bass and the monster buck I shot the other night and about knocked her out while doing my celebratory dance in my sleep , drives her crazy) but I do have some ideas as to why she does put up with me .

My wife loves to hunt and fish but this wasn't always the case , she had never done either before she met me . I took the time to make sure she was more successful than I when she first started going with me and made a huge deal out of her success (always trying to steal her fish as the pics are being snapped , scouting to make sure she get on a buck quickly) .

Now she loves hunting and fishing and understands why I'm driven to do it . Of coarse she has the idea that she can do it as good as I can and sometimes even better , I'll always let her keep thinking that cause I'm the winner either way .

18. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When my wife and I first started dating, that's when I started hunting. I hunted in the mornings, afternoons and some full day sits. I hunted all the time. She wasn't a big fan of it the first season. By the second season and all I was talking about and doing (even in the off season) was hitting the woods, she had had just about enough. The end of season two and we had a talk. I really can't blame her at all. If she was never at home because her hobby, I'd have a problem with it also.

She was however interested in the archery part. I set her a bow up and she still wasn't happy. It wasn't her bow she got to pick out. Fast forward to this past summer. I surprised her with a new BowTech Carbon Rose and she immediately wanted to go hunting. Well, now we hunt together. This is her first season hunting and my first season filming. So it's a new adventure for both of us all together and I couldn't be happier. It works for us.

19. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been married for 3 years and she found out about my passion when we first started dating and at first was not thrilled about it because her profession is saving animals lives LOL! She got over it pretty quick and supports my hunting habit because she knows its important to me and the fact that she loves venison.

The way her and I look at it now is if I don't question her when she spends extra time at the horse rescue she volunteers at or when she is out shopping with her mom all weekend she won't get on me about hunting so much.

20. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife is super cool & understanding plus she'd rather have me spending my time/$ hunting then @ the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk