Are You Hunting Too Much?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    With the peak of the season just ahead of us I think everyone should take a few minutes and read this article. Hunting is certainly an important piece of our lives but it's important to keep the bigger picture in mind as well. IMO Brodie did a great job on this article. As a husband and father of 2 young children this one certainly hits home.

I hope you guys (and gals) enjoy this one. I certainly did.

Are You Hunting Too Much? | Bowhunting.com Blog

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know for a fact I am not hunting too much. Have not sat yet and my kids are off to college, it is my time coming up

3. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That article just about sums it up. You've gotta have balance. If you don't, you better figure out how to have balance, if not somebody will figure it out for you.

4. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great read! I have two little boys and have stayed home the last two weeks to hang with the fam. Not easy. Priorities aren't always easy to keep in check when you know the potential thrill of a hunt awaits 20' up.

5. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good read.

6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good read. I have been married since I was 23 to the same woman and I hit the big 40 this year and we have 2 teenage daughters. Family first.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great article!
    I'm fortunate to have a beautiful wife that is as understanding as anyone and likes to hunt.
    I'm truly blessed to have the family I have. I don't hunt as much this time of year as I did before the family came along. I'll be more active starting in a couple of weeks.
    Nothing beats coming home to these 2 young boys we have!

8. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like it. I've been out twice this year for two hour sits. Save my longer ones for early to mid-November and often take time off work to hunt while kids are in school. I know the end of this month is primetime for bowhunting. Hear all about how Halloween is one of the best times to kill a buck. But my wife is gone 4 nights in the next few weeks for work and then we have Cub Scouts, dance and Halloween parties for church, 4H, and some high school play off games. My wife actually felt sorry for me but I told her I have some time in November (even though I have 2 work trips the first 2 weeks! - dang work!) and I'll have plenty of time to hunt more and reminisce about the good times I had with the kids in 10 years or so when they're leading their own lives. And I'm hoping that time in between now and then goes as slowly as possible. And that I can get them out hunting with me and hunting themselves as well in those years. In fact, I want to make my son and daughter's hunting my priority over my own in these years to come. Looking forward to it. Geez, I just hope I don't start crying or anything. :nana:

9. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt A LOT.........too much??? Nope.

I've been married for 15 years and my wife knows how much I love to hunt with my dad and brothers. She makes us food, keeps scent free soap stocked in the laundry room and sends us to camp with bags full of wonderful meals. She's happy when hunting season is over but would never stand between me and the woods.

To clarify that........my wife knows she is the dearest thing in my life and I would gladly lay down my bow and never set foot in the woods again if she needed me to. I also don't do much of anything else. I don't throw money over a bar or waste it on cigarettes. I play an ocassional round of golf but really just kind of hang around with friends and family mostly at my house. We are a successful competitive BBQ team together and we have worked hard as a team to create the life together we desired. We have the house we want and great friends and family to share it with.

2 months a year of hunting is not out of line in my opinion........or hers. She has the same freedom as well and goes on many trips and mini vacations to see her sisters out of state and about two trips a year with her aging mom. While she's gone I am working 12 hour shifts and caring for 28 acres with 2 dogs, a cat, a flock of chickens, and a pond full of koi. I'm glad to see her get aways end too but would never dream of telling her not to go enjoy herself with her family.

Also, I hunt with my dad and brothers. We hunt, eat, laugh and sleep in some order all season. My wife doesn't need to worry about the things some clowns do when they claim to be away at "deer camp".

10. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This fits my situation almost to a "T", except I don't have 28 acres, chickens or a koi pond.

11. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No, I don't hunt to much...my car's not to fast and I don't have to much money either.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't sat yet. I hold my kids higher then anything else. There are too many fun family events going on before Halloween to be selfish and not take my kids to. I'll have my time in time. Wish I had more time, but I don't. And I wouldn't change a thing. My parents might keep the kids this Saturday, so I'll goout then. I still need to buy a new SUV. Sold mine last month and I've been sharing my wife's car until she buys a new explorer, then I'm selling her car,then buying a Tahoe. Can't imagine this will happen before the weekend.

13. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree - especially with kids involved.

I haven't deer hunted yet this year, actually just bought tags...weird to think I may only get 1 sit in Oct.

But...

I did take my 10 year old out for the youth hunt in IL and he got his first deer (he's hooked)

[​IMG]

Then this past Sunday my BIL invited us up to duck blind for youth waterfowl season (I'm not a waterfowler)...and same son got his first duck (green winged teal)

[​IMG]

So I have had some outdoor time but all with kids...and I could honestly put my bow/guns down for many years and just enjoy taking them. I figured with 4 kids I have 12 straight youth seasons in IL to enjoy...sounds awesome!
    Football and coaching for the two oldest fills up most of Oct anymore...but those memories are priceless also.

You can get too much bowhunting...I can remember the years I would get frustrated with it, burnt out some, holding off for a big buck, etc. Not anymore, with limited time I get more pumped than I have in years for trying to get a couple days off in Nov to hunt.

My 3 year old son comes up to me yesterday and says he has a secret for me...he then whispers "I want to elk hunt when I get bigger"...You and me both buddy! Being a dad is the greatest joy I have found!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  14. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    great article

15. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had some experience with "you fish to much" as far as family goes and was fortunate enough to realize it before to much damage was done .

When it comes to hunting though , that article is spot on when it comes to putting to much pressure on the deer your hunting . I'm very fortunate that I have an understanding wife and do all my hunting close to home so I don't miss any bed times . That and they would get mad at me if I didn't put a few deer in the freezer .

16. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    As long as I mix my time in stand with times like these I don't think I can hunt too much.