RamCat Broadheads, Do they work?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rustyhunter, Oct 21, 2014.

1. rustyhunter

rustyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot two deer now with the RamCat broadhead and have not recovered either one. They may not been the best shots (steep angles). The one last year I had a pass through right in the vidal area but no recovery. Both times there was very little blood on the arrow. I was wondering what other guys experience is with them?

2. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Ive seen them work personally a time or two. ;)

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'll be the first to say. It's usually not the broadhead. Shot placement means way more than what brand broadhead you are using.

4. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What he said!

5. rustyhunter

rustyhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the shot placement 100%, but the one time it passed through the vitals as I said before and still no recovery. I am just very frustrated.

I know I get buck fever very bad, it is apparently hereditary, so shot placement is defiantly an issue for me.

I am going out to Iowa in two weeks and want to make sure the broadhead will perform.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They will perform fine, used them for several early season hunts a couple years back and they performed well, stop worrying about them and go hunt.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your not confident, which it sounds like you are not, try something else. Go simple, try something like a Magnus Stinger Buzzcut. There are a great fixed blade broadhead.

There's a lot that plays into recovering a deer. Good shot placement is #1. #2 is knowing how long to wait before attempting recovery. Shot placement and the deer's reaction determines this. #3 being able to trail the blood. #4 if you lose blood, you need to be able to think like a deer. Go down hill, look for water.

One technique that I use is to see the buck, decided if you are going to shoot if he gives you the opportunity. Once you decide, quite looking at the antlers, they mean nothing unless you can make that good clean kill shot. Focus on your breathing and relaxation, focus on where you want the arrow to go. If the deer is moving, stop him with a simple "Mehh". Be ready to release the arrow as soon as he stops.

8. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting=Weird **** can happen. People love killzone broadheads, I killed 2 deer with them and both deer dropped inside 60 yards, with the worst blood trails I've ever seen. I would have had just as good of chance if it was down pouring rain when we were tracking. Then I see guys who have genuinely had killer blood trails and entry/exits. It's not just the broadhead- that being said I think there's better fixed blades than that, I used montecs there awesome, lotta guys love muzzy similar heads too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know of a couple people that use these broadheads and love the blood trails they have gotten with them. Good shot placement will help and giving deer time to expire before tracking. As said before, if you aren't comfortable with them, get something different. Confidence in your equipment is important. Even if it might not be the broadheads fault.

10. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Listen to what Stephen says. That's all great advice!