I need coyote advice, please

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by longbowmanjimmy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have experience coyote hunting? If I set traps a few hundred yards from my stand will it spook off deer?We have more coyotes on cam then deer. I sat these past 5 days on the 200 acres we have, I kicked out 1 nice 8 but saw no deer in stand, which I'm okay with since its still pretty early. However; we had no fawns on cam this year, barely any last year. I saw 3 coyotes in 5 days. Thought it was a coincidence until I found 2 small deer skeletons pretty close to our food plot. We have a bad doe shortage this year, and the only deer we have on camera are all real big bodied deer, one is pretty scarred up on his back leg I think. I've never trapped but I'm starting to debate it, or after deer season pull out the 7.62 soft points. I'm not sure what to do with season here now, and I sure as hell don't want to take many deer off the property if they're having a hard time keeping a population as is. I love to hunt, but I really love bringing doe meat home, and I think these ****ing coyotes might have set me back a year or two. Good news is I think their den is close to the skeletons. Thanks -Jimmy

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Message me after the season. Will always help out on taking down coyotes.

3. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trap'em and hunt them after season. Best way to stop the issue. Setting traps around shouldn't hurt them. I do it on a farm I hunt and it doesn't seem to slow down the deer.

4. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks brother, will do!

5. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya you need to hunt them hard. I took 8 out of my woods in January. My season last year on my property behind my house was a bust. I had a ton of coyotes move in all of a sudden. I too had no fawn pics, just coyotes every single night. So I deer hunted another property and left mine alone. Once December came around I started, January you will be far more successful. Usually when its deep snow and cold as hell, they are hungry and will make poor decisions. I have a trusty 223 Robinson XCR, which is similar to a AR15. Except its allowed for hunting up here in the land of no guns. I smacked 8 over the two months. I have already seen deer more then I did last year. I have not had any coyote pics, although I normally see a million rabbits. I have not seen a single one. So that heavy load of yotes last year wiped out the rabbits. So Ill hunt them religiously every January now even if I don't have sign.

6. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trapping won't spook the deer ! Trapping coyotes is the most effective way to rid a coyote population "if you know what your doing" if you don't do a little research you can spook them and they just become wiser ! Coyotes are not a dumb animal but they can be caught or hunted ! I'm not a professional by no means but I have been trapping for the last 8 years

7. drycreek

drycreek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Trap and shoot ! I began by never passing up an opportunity to kill a coyote, even when deer hunting. Then I started trapping them, and it paid off big time . If you don't know how to set traps, there is plenty of info on utube. All I will say here is, wear rubber boots, NEVER handle your traps without gloves, NEVER use these gloves for anything else, get a piece of carpet to kneel on while setting traps, etc. Practice scent control to the nth degree ! Leave your new traps out until they start rusting, then boil, dye, and wax them. It is kinda involved, but it's fun to do. Did I mention scent control ? Good luck ! Need more info, you can PM me.

8. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All that a coyote is, Is a thief. When he hears something is killing a rabbit he will run in and try to steal that rabbit from the other predator. And the purpose of most trap sets is to imitate a buried meal that another predator has put there! And any coyote will try and dig that up if there is not humane scent there to spook him away. The key to trapping them is getting your traps on location. Once you know what to look for you can find prime set locations almost anywhere !

9. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had an increase in coyotes around my place, too. There are a couple groups that send out dogs to hunt them and they set up along the way to kill. I had one come up probably 20 yards from the truck when we pulled in the driveway about two to three months ago. There were three in that pack. Too close for comfort, especially now that I have a puppy and soon will have the barn filled with animals. Good luck, seem that a lot on here can help you in that catagory.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You calling Chago....how you approach getting them? We have a problem growing at one property.

11. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this is legal or not but I've heard of a couple guys who will take a live chicken and tie a string around its leg, then stake it to the ground. Then they will sit back and shoot it with a kids bb gun to get it to make noise. Calls the yotes right in. Like I said, don't know how legal and only "heard" of guys going it!

12. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Good Lord, do not do this. Not only is it inhumane it will get you in a heap of trouble.

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    fixed it for you....

14. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There used to be an old man around the area ( I think he has since passed away) that used to tie a rabbit out to a stake in ground. He would put vice grips on it's ear to make it squeal. When it stopped, he would walk out and tighten them up a bit. NOT condoning this behavior in any way, and would never do this myself, but it seemed to work for him. There's plenty of better, and more legit, ways to go about calling them in

15. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get out and hunt them in the winter. Definitely suggest hunting them or allowing someone to trap them. Or even try trapping them yourself.

16. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a huge coyote problem on one of my farms and after having "no fawns" seen with a doe last season , I contacted a trapper and invited him to start trapping as soon as their season came in .

The traps that he set were in the middle of a CRP field and nothing he done had any impact on the rest of my deer season . He has already been invited to start his bait piles this season and should have them in place soon . You will not get rid of an over population of coyotes in one year so whatever you chose , stick with it for several years .

I knew the trapper that helped us , personally but if you do not know one and want the help they can offer you can contact your sates trappers association.

We have already noticed an improvement after only one year as half of our doe have fawns this season .

Also , do not neglect getting rid of some bobcats if you have them around , they eat fawns too .

17. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ What he said contact the State trappers association^^^^ They will know of a few good trappers in your area that are good at what they do and will be glad to trap the coyotes off of your farm! And as for tying a rabbit or chicken up and letting it squeal.. :confused: Theres allot of good electronic callers out there that sound just as realistic and its not illegal eaither!

18. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would try to get someone else that has trapped to get in there. You might be able to learn from them to do on your own. You'll have more success this way in my opinion. They are easier to trap for me once snow is on the ground. Easy to see where they are traveling. I'm a complete novice in trapping though.

Guy two years ago caught 35 in a 200 acre area only a couple of miles from me. We also have a lot of guys that hunt them with dogs that help keep them in order. They are a very smart animal.