cameras during season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MassBowHunter, Oct 20, 2014.

1. MassBowHunter

MassBowHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on setting up new cameras during the season? The easy answer is that it can't hurt. But I am curious as to the benefits or if anyone has used this technique in the past. The reason I ask is that I had a doe come in behind me in the ONE place I can't shoot behind thick brush. I was going to put up a camera back there to see if I need to adjust my stand or if it was a one time deal.

2. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I leave em out and check mine all season. For me it's nice to see the deer still in the area and the times they are moving. It really helps me on all day sits when I see there are deer moving at all times of the day. Just gives me a little extra confidence.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I say place them at all your stand sites and anywhere you see a lot of fresh sign. If you see a line of fresh scrapes showing up, that is definitely a place you're going to want to monitor.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

4. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me they shine most during the season. Nothing like pulling a chip off a set or scrape line and seeing a good one on a pattern.

5. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will leave them up until rifle season. A lot of bodies in the woods then and I am afraid some cameras would grow legs :rant:. I try to put them back up later in rifle season or after it. Like you said though having another camera out is just like having another set of eyes out there 24/7.

6. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We keep ours on scrapes and in front of our stands. This way we can see what bucks are using different routes and then adjust our stands in order to take one. The past two days one of our hitlisters was showing up at a scrape right at dark. We know where he was bedding and where he was going so I moved a stand in the middle. Hopefully tonight is the night.

7. MassBowHunter

MassBowHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks fellas, A lot of what you said is stuff I was already thinking and some new info as well. I am going to stick one around where she was just in case. Yesterday was actually our opener here in Mass so I might just be antsy lol

8. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As you start to find new travel routes, scrapes, rubs or any indication of deer sign, I wouldn't hesitate to relocate trail cameras. Just be cautious about how frequently you check on them, deer will catch on.

9. MassBowHunter

MassBowHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bowafide,

How often do you check on them? as it stands I will pull cards about once a week when I am leaving the woods post-hunt. What do you normally do?

10. Bowafide

Bowafide Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If i'm hunting nearby I'll pull them then. Otherwise I'll check them every two weeks or so. I'd be lying if I said I haven't stopped out within the week to pull cards on account of being too fired up to see what might be out there.