First time with decoy!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ranger93, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted last Friday with a buck decoy (Primos Scarface), had some strange reactions. The does wanted nothing to do with it, wouldn't get within 50 yds. Had some small bucks come out on it and it didn't bother them one bit, the does would go near the little bucks. I positioned it quartering facing me at 20 yds, completely sprayed down with scent killer. I even had does run out of the field when they got a look at him. I'm only guessing that it's a deer they don't know and it freaks them out. I know they are fighting, I witnessed a 10 minute battle between two good bucks, flat out tearing each other out. New to me, any suggestions. The tail and head do move with the wind.

2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have found that to be a common reaction. In fact I had an identical scenario Saturday that cost me a buck. Bucks are easier to fool than does. Decoys will work best on a lone buck....does in my experience do not like buck decoys. One thing I have noticed is that a doe decoy didn't seem to bother them as much. Try taking the horns off and quartering it away from you. I will be doing that tonight.

3. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will do!

4. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure where you are located but there's no way I'd be using a buck decoy yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used a doe decoy few years ago on my food plot. It didn't work the way I expected. A doe came out first and was literally losing her mind on the decoy. Snorting, and was extremely weary. A buck came out to see what all the commission was about. But because of all the Jerry springer stuff going on I couldn't move a inch. Everytime I moved a inch someone would spot me and turn to me. I would freeze and wait until they turned away. This happened like 5-6 times just to get into shooting position. Once I finally drew. They were all gone. I would not use a decoy every again. Not only this experience it was a pain in the *** to set up and carry. Whatever happened to coming in and getting out quietly.

6. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Missouri, the bucks are chasing pretty good and have witnessed one good fight and heard another.

7. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of scent control did you practice on the decoy and were any of the does downwind?? Any time I have had does come in past decoys they always get buggered. I think as we get closer to the rut they become less tolerant of bucks and run thinking they may get chased, at least until they are ready to be bred that is. If you watched a 10 minute battle then using a buck decoy IS perfect to be using this time of year....it only makes sense....

8. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I killed one over my decoy last night! It was awesome!
    [​IMG]

9. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I intend to use a decoy this weekend in WI. Last year I had a young buck come right to it (within a couple feet) and investigate it only to walk off calmly.
    Do you typically get deer to respond to your calls in your area? If 'yes' than I think it'd be worth trying the decoy it might be your ticket to tagging a giant... don't know unless you try it, right? :)
    Good luck.. i'll repost if I have success with it this weekend.