Kansas WIPL

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sbreen, Oct 20, 2014.

1. sbreen

sbreen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    has anyone hunted on Kansas walk in public land? If so where you successful? Any pointers. I was late on trying to draw an area but next year my father and I are looking at doing this. Just wanted to know if it's worth the drive from Louisiana. We would never be able to see the deer that I've seen come from Kansas. This state is way over hunted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kansas WIHA is can be excellent. It just depends on the property. Some properties get hunted a lot and other properties get hunted very little. I killed my last two bucks on WIHA. Last years grossing almost 165". I'd stay away from WIHA properties around towns. At the same time I also wouldn't overlook properties you may think don't have enough cover to hold deer as those properties are often the least pressured. Additionally stay away from areas that have a allot of WIHA in a very small area as that is often a destination for a large volume of out of state hunters. Look for smaller pockets of WIHA here and there.

3. Jofes

Jofes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive seen some monsters on WIHA but thats not the norm. Its not like there everywhere out here there rare even on private ground. that being said, WIHA is all about being willing to go the extra mile, Literally. I have had success on WIHA but i had to go in deep and put in some time. also find a a place where there is a good amount of deer sign. dont waste your time on land that looks promising but has no sign. Ive hunted Slate creek wetlands alot and there are always good deer but tons of duck hunters. its a swamp so the deer are always changing there routs and patterns. Ive heard KAW is worth hunting but never tried it. Good luck man.

4. Jofes

Jofes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    also the buck in my avitar is off slate creek wetlands, not a monster but a decent buck for an average jo.