Rut Report?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bassmasterjk, Oct 20, 2014.

1. bassmasterjk

bassmasterjk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering what the cooler then normal temps are doing for the deer, as far as buck activity around the country. I am tagged out, shot my target buck the opening day in Pa 10-4-14 and have not been back in a tree since and its killin me! So entertain me, who is seeing deer how big and where at???:wave:

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cooler than normal temps??????????? Outside of one cold front a couple weeks ago, we've been way above normal here. Makes the hunting very rough. Rubs and scrapes are showing up in spite of it but about on par with a "normal" year I guess.

3. bassmasterjk

Dislikes Received:
    First week in oct was cooler then normal by far for us in north east. Had few frost after that. Lil warming trend after that, but pasted week been nice and cool. Got down to 36 last night. When I wake up in mornings it feels like they should be movin. Even tho im stuck at work and have no idea whats goin on :(

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been warmer than average here the last two weeks or more. 75° here this afternoon and upper 60s all week. I have seen a shooter during daylight hours more than once in the last week though while working.

5. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally started seeing some deer moving this weekend here in PA but no real rutting sign yet. Very anxious to hit the woods this weekend!

7. bassmasterjk

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like a lot of guys in west Pa, eastern ohio are starting to see younger bucks running doe and day light pics of good ones are popping up. Talking to my buddy's past week the activity has really increased. Also talked with a guy at gas station in eastern ohio had a 130 plus in bed of his truck. Said he was making a scrapes all alone a corn field before he got a shot.

8. bassmasterjk

Dislikes Received:
    Hear that people?? Pa hunters are the best hunters in the nation!!!
    Thanks for the video, Ive seen that before. Good info for sure

9. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its been brutally hot here in the north east! 70`s almost every night, very warm for this time of year, hopefully the cooldown is coming!!

10. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It has been hot (90+) here in SE NC as usual but the month of October has actually been pretty nice...We have been slightly cooler than normal and we are having lows down into the 30's and 40's which is great. The highs now are hovering in the 60s and lower 70's with another cool front coming in tonight....I have heard the deer are definitely up on their feet but unfortunetly I have not been able to take advantage of the conditions in the last couple of weeks.....

11. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I found what the guy said in the video pretty interesting. Still, strange things happen. Last year in Kentucky I shot a mature buck on October 19th that gave all the signs of being in full rut - chasing a doe, stunk to high heaven and empty stomach.

I just got a call from my brother in Kentucky yesterday afternoon. He had watched a big shooter buck chase a doe across the field and also watched two decent 8 points fighting over a doe.

I'm no expert and I don't really care to be one. I do know that come tomorrow afternoon I'll be sitting in a tree in Kentucky. Not because of his phone call as this trip was planned already, but that phone call has me really itching to get there.

12. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems about typical here in NY. As it is every year.....

13. grizzygoose

grizzygoose Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It was 26 degrees when i got in the stand this past saturday, it was the 2nd big cold front that came through already so we've had a couple frosts. This past weekend i found 2 scrapes and witnessed a buck grunting while chasing a doe. In my opinion i think the rut may be coming a little sooner than normal here in Michigan

14. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have started to see some young bucks interested in does. Last night I filmed a 1 1/2 year old 8 point run a doe in an alfalfa field. The rubs and scrapes have started to show. Also the more mature bucks have started showing up just before and after daylight. I think by this weekend things will really pickup and we will see some bucks hit the ground in our area.

15. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sat northern illinois from 10-12 to 10-18, no deer seen in stand. Week before that, we had 2 pairs of bucks that fought while we were in stand, 2 different days and 2 different stands. There's corn In the coyote droppings which hasn't happened all year, so I think the corn might be hot soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple scrapes and rubs starting to pop up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. bassmasterjk

Dislikes Received:
    Shot my buck 10-4 right before dark, he was feeding. Shocked to see he neck was swollen up, forehead black and nasty and stunk so bad! His neck was so big everybody that saw him made a comment about it. Didn't have any pics of him for 7 days prior, so no clue what he was up to really

I shot a doe the day before, and him opening day. Talk about odd short season, don't even feel like I got to hunt this year :(

18. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same as usual here to with pre rut activity.