Accidental string cuts while hunting.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by REMYNGTON, Oct 17, 2014.

1. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have any of you guys been on a hunting trip for days or deep in the woods or backcountry and accidentally cut your string with a broadhead or something else? I haven't had the misfortune of this happening to me but while hunting with my girlfriend last week she went to put her arrow back in the quiver and bounced her muzzy broadhead off of the idler wheel. I cringed and explained to her to be careful because just tapping her string with that broadhead would likely destroy her bow.

Just thought maybe some of y'all may have some interesting stories of something similar happening.

2. 60X Custom Strings

60X Custom Strings Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This time of year we get calls like this every day. The other day I was getting ready to leave my stand and thought I cut my string. Something as simple as putting and arrow in your quiver can ruin your day.

3. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually cut a string once. Luckily I was hunting with a recurve and not too far from home, it still probably wasn't good for the bow but I think the it was more forgiving than a compound would have been. I had been using a new quiver and it came loose while walking out from a stand one night and an arrow got hung up in the string and blew it up. Scared me to death!

4. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to keep arrows that had my broadheads on in the same case as my until I got up in the stand one day and saw I had cut my string. It was staying on by a couple of strands. Could have ended real bad.

5. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As a string maker we get a lot of calls saying they need a string asap due to an accident. Then the real story comes out. We had one guy the day before hunting season set his quiver down and pull out a broad head slightly(broad head tuning) and he got interrupted by his daughter or something else can't remember. Well not thinking he set his bow done and caught that broadhead and boom the bow exploded.

Hutch

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I lost my footing on a very steep rocky slope. I slid about 50 feet. At some point I lost my bow. When I came to rest and retrieved my bow my string was destroyed. Although I am confident I could have got a few shots out of it it needed to be replaced immediately.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  7. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not on a hunting trip but last season shooting broadheads the Monday before our Saturday season opener I pulled a rookie move and got careless and cut a cable on my Assassin. Luckily VaporTrail had a string to my door by Thursday and saved my season opener.

[​IMG]

8. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some pretty good stories here. Glad that all of them, so far, haven't resulted in injury.

I tried to explain to the girlfriend how much energy is stored in these bows and how careful you have to be, don't think she really took it to heart. I think I'm going to do some video searches to find some visual aids for her so she can grasp fully what I'm explaining.

9. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I carry my quiver attached to my pack instead of my bow. I try and keep my broadheads as far away from my string when I'm walking in and pulling my bow up to my stand.

10. river rat23

river rat23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my 1 buck for the year last season, got the deer processed, washed and put away all the gear, got the bow cleaned up & ready to put back inside, and noticed the string had several strands cut in one spot. Don't know exactly when this happened, but I'm sure glad it didn't blow up on me. I went out during the off season, bought and fully outfitted a backup bow. I'm not taking any chances

11. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never had a string get cut but I have had a limb crack on me. I kept hearing a noise when I would draw back well we thought it was a bearing going bad so we replaced them. took the bow home to practice and after a few shots I went to draw back again and the limb gave out and the bow derailed. Took it back to the shop and we found a nice 2 inch crack on the inside of the limb.