Who has Killed a Deer While Rattling?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick James, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So coming from hunting exclusively in the Northeast where there are pretty low populations of mature bucks, I've never had a positive experience rattling. When I was young I tried blind rattling, and I've also tried rattling at deer that I saw at a distance to try and bring them in. Not once have I seen a deer react in a way that might help me to kill them.

I'm new to this midwest hunting thing, so I'm curious to understand who has killed a mature buck (let's say 3 y/o for this conversation) that they rattled in. Please share the details as well around setting, scenario, etc. I'd also love to hear about the failed attempts too.

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only time I have ever rattled was when I was 13... Had no idea what I was doing and did it because I thought it would magically bring the huge bucks in.

Nothing came in.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've rattled in a lot of yearlings and a couple 2.5s but yet to have it yield a shooter...

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here!! I was thinking of bringing a set of sheds with me to Illinois in a few weeks. I've had the same experience here in the NE Matt....nothing.

5. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

This guy came cruising through during the peak of the rut. Crossed in front of me 60 yds and was moving at a pretty good clip. Knowing he was cruising for does I knew, with 20 minutes left, that I would have to make something happen to get him back. Doe bleat, no response. Buck grunt, no response. Hit the horns together and he came charging back to 20 yds, hair bristled up. He made it 50 yds before piling up. We guessed his age at 4.5 or 5.5. 222 dressed out if I remember right.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  6. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why does tapatalk load my photos SOOOOOO huge??

7. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    huge deer need huge pictures. tapatalk knows this

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That isn't a bad thing! Better than having to bring it up big!

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a few that were rattled in: 04splitg2buck.JPG 09buckresized.jpg autocorrect2.jpg IMG_0234.jpg resizeddroptineinwoods.jpg

Calling deer has been a passion of mine for years. I was always fascinated with the thought of bringing the deer to me. I have killed deer using rattling antlers, the can call, grunt tubes, and decoys. I'm not the most patient person in the world at times and I like the action and anticipation that calling brings. My favorite time to rattle is just after daylight on a crisp, calm morning. But, I have also killed bucks by rattling in the afternoon and evenings. I guess I could have included my buck picture from last year also because he and three other bucks came in to the same sequence. My record is seven bucks responding within five minutes to a single sequence. When things are right, it is amazing. I use a real set of antlers off a 150 class buck and also use a couple of different grunt tubes. The earliest in the season I have killed a mature buck by rattling was October 17th. At that time I just represent sparring. During the rut I beat the heck out of them. I am aware that it is not very effective on pressured areas, but if you are lucky enough to hunt low pressured deer, it flat out works.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  10. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill go with that.

One more thing to add, I have blind rattled a bit here and there and have had some shooters come shortly after. Was it rattling, or chance, I do not know. Other than this one I have never had a mature deer come in to rattling. He also had a freshly broken tine so he may have just been in the mood.

11. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your links no work ;)
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

12. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have Matt. I had rattled, within seconds a Doe came in under me and just stood there, within a minute a 130" Buck was hot on her trail and stopped, facing me at 12 yards, I was waiting for his move so I could take my shot. suddenly the Doe got nervous and ran. He suddenly bristled his hair then blew and ran off, and blew and blew and blew. I was confused because my wind was great and he hadnt seen me. I then hear a stick pop behind me, slowly turn my head to see the Buck I had found both sheds from the previous season. He was bristled up and slowly walked directly under me to get to where the las Buck had been standing. I remember looking through my platform at him. He had scared the wits out of the smaller Buck. As he got to where the last Buck had stood I arrowed him at 12 yards. Ill never forget that day! Nothing like live Decoys right after a rattle! I have rattled in others in and just was not what I was after or didnt get the shot. My best luck has been pre rut.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I fixed it. Thanks! Dang work keeps interrupting me.

14. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had much luck. Ive rattled and had younger bucks come charging in- the biggest probably 120". I've blind rattled and rattled to bucks that were in sight, but it never has paid off for me.

Now my father in law loves to rattle. He's killed a few doing it. One was a buck that was beaten, broken, scarred, and bloody. He was a fighter all the way through. FIL said he saw him a couple hundred yards away and crashed the antlers together as hard as he could. He said he was on him as soon as he turned around to hang the antlers and grab his bow.

I think maybe fletch needs to make a "how-to" video, lol

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Simple answer is yes. First bow kill was rattled into a decoy. The rattling got him in the area and the decoy brought him to 15 yards.

16. str8shooter

str8shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen it work too many times not to believe in it. It is a tool just like all my other tricks. Some days just have better results.

17. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Or tell us what "how-to" he watched! :lol:

18. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've rattled in a lot more than I've killed but have killed a few that charged in to rattling .

I do tend to kill more from snort wheezes and roars though .

19. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, no one likes a show off. I have had luck rattling bucks in Kansas. The first year I shot a buck the last night rattling with a decoy. I had just missed a smaller buck I rattled in behind me when a bigger buck came out of nowhere in front of me to my decoy[​IMG]

Here in the northeast I never had any success bringing in deer rattling.

20. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You and I both