Mathews News...lay offs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by trial153, Oct 17, 2014.

1. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  2. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's really rough and it stinks to see that the archery business at Mathews isn't booming. Better buy the new 2015 model to help them out when it's released. Oh darn :)

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Things are tough all over....

4. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear Hoyt is hiring. :tu:

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bowtech seems to be doing pretty good. Maybe this will be good for the boys over at Mathews in the long run. They can refocus and come back with something even better

6. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Worst economy ever!! Thanks Obama!! THE WORST EVER

7. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it that they are in tough times or are they cutting numbers to squeeze in under a small business to avoid the insurance crap that Obama pushed?

8. wisbh

wisbh Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a load of crap!! You can blame Obama or any other politician for a lot of things but to blame them for a bow company laying of 35 people is crazy. And mind you this is a company that has not really came out with anything "new" in years. As a matter of fact, you hear people argue that the bows from years ago (Z7) is better than anything Mathews puts out today. Then go and sponsor 7-8 out of 10 hunting shows and advertise on about every 3rd page of any magazine and ask why they have to lay off 35 workers. But your right, I'm sure its Obama's fault.

9. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't the economy collapse in 2008?

They're a WI company. WI is thriving under Walker.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a dog in this fight at all, not sure why others have such negative responses to this. I feel bad for those that lost their jobs but I'm sure Mathews will continue on and do fine.

Not sure if you have experience running a business or managing your own P&L but it's pretty common for struggling businesses to spend heavily on sales and marketing. Increased revenue can fix almost all problems if managed properly, and there is almost always a direct correlation between increased revenue and spending on marketing/sales.

11. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's a product thing IMO. When the Creed and other Z7 models were released they were thriving. Now that other companies have big hits like Elite and Hoyt they are taking a lot of the work from them.

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe I stated a long time ago that Mathews better stop trying to cruise on their name and be investing in new designs to keep up with the competition. It's either a grow or die life.

13. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you're going to start seeing more of the conglomerate companies coming through and buying up good companies with good products like Mathews. It's the wave of the future.

When it's a larger company that holds many different brands, they can keep everything under one umbrella, and they have the ability to navigate through bad economies easier.

14. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One thing I wanted to clarify about my post as well, is that just because they are laying off 35 employees it doesn't indicate they are struggling or hurting in any way. A company the size of Mathews likely has 300-400 employees. It's certainly possible that over time they accumulated a number of people that just don't add value to the business. I'm sure their company will carry on business as usual and continue to make and sell a lot of bows.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's certainly unfortunate for those that lost their jobs. In today's business world the easiest expense to leverage is payroll. When things get tough, they leverage payroll by laying off workers and forcing the "lucky ones" to do the work of two or three people. To me, it's a fatal flaw in business practice because without great employee's there's no way to have a great company. Product quality will suffer, customer service will suffer and the downward spiral will usually ensue.

On the other times, sometimes trimming the fat could open room to eventually backfill those positions with better, more engaged employees. I'd be curious to know what percentage of their staff were layed off. If it's only 1 or 2 percent, then I would see this as trimming the fat. If it's 10% then I'd say they are in for a long rocky road.

16. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The question for the consumer is why would you buy a Mathews when there are a number of bows on the market that are just as good but priced significantly less?

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You may or may not be right. But I'm guessing it is around the 10% or more mark. If they had 350 employees then 10% would be the 35. 350 is a lot of people and I doubt they have that many working there. Could be wrong though.

18. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Limbsaver made a bow for a while that was the ugliest compound on the market and it did not last long. So what does Mathews do? Make a riser just as ugly!

Hell, if your spouse was that ugly you would not even walk next to them in the store.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually don't mind the look and concept of their risers, it's the fit and finish that seems to be lacking for me.

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To me it is just like everything. It seems to go in cycles.