Opinion on acorns

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Oct 16, 2014.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok this may seem like a really silly question but actually it's a very unique situation. My hunting ground is about 200 acres of very old mixed hardwoods. There were very few Oaks on the property and the few that were there were confined to a very small area. This parcel also includes tree plantings of Oaks and pine trees. As the pine trees age they are cut down, allowing the Oaks to mature. I have hunted this property for 10 yes and this year the acorns from the tree plantings have exploded. They have never produced anything like they have this year. I walk through this area on my way to the stand and there are so many it's like walking on marbles. My question is, do you think the deer are eating them? I mean it's a completely new food source which they haven't had in the past and I'm not sure they even know what they are for. When I walk through the areas where there's a lot of them on the ground they look completely undisturbed. So I'm just wondering if the deer are even feeding on them. Opinions?

Blessings. ........Pastorjim

2. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure they will eventually eat them. I know when the farmer first planted tubers on the land that I hunt, it took the deer 2 to 3 years to figure them out as a food source.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am seeing the same thing here. I bet there are 10,000 on the ground near the landowner's house. Almost like walking on gravel! They look undisturbed there as well. I don't think deer know what they are either. They have a very dark shell. At my second property, where I park my truck, there are 1000s on the ground there. This is a white oak tree. I saw 2 young doe eating them there the other day. I have NEVER seen this many acorns before. We had a lot of rain this year. We have had lots of rain in past years and I still didn't see them in such abundance. Last time we had a lot of acorns, we had the worse Ice Storm in NC history. (Note: I am also seeing a ton of wild holly this year. This usually means a harsh Winter too). I put out corn for deer to eat and they are NOT touching it. It is starting to sprout in one place. With this abundance of acorns, I think bucks will be more nocturnal than before this year. I know I am going to have to add some stands soon. I am putting a trail camera near the oaks on my second property to see what is going on there. I will keep you posted!

Acorns Everywhere Like This!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I'm wondering Dwayne, if I should be hunting in that area. Like I said, it looks completely undisturbed. Guess it's time for another camera!

Blessings. ........Pastorjim

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would think so, animals eat on instinct and I'm sure there's just so many on the ground that you don't notice the ones that have been consumed.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Abundant here too. I think this year they can be more choosy and are traveling less... That or its the dreaded lull. [​IMG]

~Bill

7. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They'll be in them. Some trees drop some years and some may not deer will cruise to find acorns. If they aren't in them right now they will hit them eventually. Look for lots of poo in the acorns that will indicate if they're spending a lot of time in them.

8. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, I'd definitely keep hunting the area. (This year) The deer will find them. Oak trees drop a significantly higher amount of acorns every 3rd year. So, mark this in your Calendar as the 3rd year. That same tree (depending on the type of oak) may not produce any next year. Oaks and acorns go in cycles of every other year.

The reason deer love acorns is because like all nuts, they're very high in much needed fat to get them through the winter. But if they still have other food sources available right now (corn for example), they may be laying off the acorns because they know they're not going any place. If they feel like they can make it to, and eat the corn safely, they'll do it. When they don't feel like they can, they'll be all over those acorns.

They know where they're at, and they'll come get them when needed.

I'm curious, whether or not the fields have been harvested in your area? Or what other food sources are available to your deer right now?

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pastorjim you can appreciate this...Being that Our Heavenly Father provides food for ALL His Creatures to eat, makes me wonder if He is preparing them for a long and hard winter? This can explain the abundance of acorns we are seeing. I was wondering why I was getting 8-10 squirrels in my early morning trail cam pics up until about a month and a half ago. Now, I don't even see one squirrel. I have picked up close to 40 gallons of acorns so far. I am going to gather as many as I can in case it is a hard winter and I will have a food source they will want then. :tu:

10. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    MichiHunter basically covered what I was thinking. There's a lot of other food out there available right now would be the only reason they are not into those acorns already....If your bucks are anything like ours then they will be in there every day post-rut to recharge and put the fat back on for the winter(if the squirrels haven't stashed them all by then). The problem we have is there are oaks everywhere on and around our property so no way to pinpoint 'em...sounds like you have an ideal situation to me!

11. KendalMiller

KendalMiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In our area because of a prevalence of acorns it seems as though they are more picky about where they are eating them. I would try to focus on an area where there are empty tops and split shells.

12. mblenamo

mblenamo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In East Texas, when the acorns start falling, you can forget about hunting your feeders. You better have a stand near the acorns. They will eat them exclusively and go to corn only after the acorns are gone. They tend to feed on the same spot until depleted and then move on. We put are stands in low bottom areas that consist of lots of white oaks. One thing we have noticed is that the same tree might not produce but every 2-3 years. Like they are on a cycle.

13. KendalMiller

KendalMiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mblenamo I have noticed the same cycle.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2 things possibly contributing here...

1) I have read many times that deer prefer either white over red oak acorn trees or vice versa (can never remember which was which.) Maybe you have the less appetizing one.

2) I hunt in Michigan and Wisconsin. My Dad hunts in Indiana. In all 3 states, we have both been seeing and hearing of bumper acorn crops - more than anyone can remember seeing. That being said, I think there are so many acorns both already on the ground and still falling (got hit on the head 2x last weekend; and so many were falling that it sounded like rain all day) that the deer don't have to travel nearly as much to get to them. They're literally everywhere.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  15. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think since nation wide the acorn crop is amazing this year, and so I don't think the deer will be moving considering they don't have to. But once their main food source runs out, I'm sure a few will stumble upon your oaks and by next year you should hang a stand, but if it were me, I wouldn't hang a stand this year there. Especially if you're seeing deer elsewhere on the property

16. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Clean out some patches of soil so you can identify tracks. Sometimes it looks like nothing is eating them, because they continue to fall as the deer eat them. When they stop falling, they will start to run out. Also look for crunched pieces, sometimes they chew them as they feed. Also... my number one scouting tool... look for poop. The bigger the pellet, the bigger the deer, normally.

17. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve read about and noticed a few things about acorns over the years.

1) They do come in cycles (so do hickory nuts). This year has been pretty good for the areas I’ve seen. I’d give it a 7 on a scale of 1-10.

2) What kind of Acorns do you have? I’ve read that deer prefer white oaks over read oaks. The red oaks are supposed to be more bitter/tannic. So my 4 year old son and I had a taste test (his idea) and OMG the reds are nasty. I’m not saying that the whites were delicious but I could eat a few if I had to… the reds I had to spit out. However, if you’ve got reds it might not necessarily be a bad thing. I’ve read that the deer will eat them after they’ve eaten the white oak acorns in the area. So, you might be sitting on a late season hotspot.

18. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where i hunt deer will pass any man made food source for fresh acorns. Id start hunting that area for sure. If they arent in it yet then it wont be long!!

19. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would agree with this as I hunt in a club in GA and a property in TN the acorn crop is crazy this year all over. If you dont have any other tasty food source they will eat them otherwise I feel they will eat the whites and leave the reds for late season. Also people pay good money for acorns on Ebay my cousins little one picks them up and sells them by the 3-5lb box.
    http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/armchair_biologist/acorns/acorns.html

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know here in CA the deer eat the white oak acorns like candy. If we find a tree producing a good amount, we really keep a close eye on that area. If the trees are somewhat new to the area or haven't produced acorns in a while, it might take the deer a little while to find them but once they do, they'll be there until the acorns are gone. I would agree with putting a camera or 2 near those trees for sure.